2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wrong again. My comment was that the fact that different people perceive sound differently was very obvious, and it doesn't require reading a research paper to know that.

Unfortunately posted by someone using an alias [for good reason?] so I can't respond directly... grin

Pathetic however how this guy is following me on every single thread trying to discredit whatever I say. A very strange hate condition not quite fully understood or assessed by medical staff. Fact is I don't know the guy and being over 5000 miles apart, have nothing to do with each other. Or do we?

If would use his own name [dealers in New York remember him still talking about him from the time he was shopping the Manhattan streets.. eek ] he very well could be posting some contradictory findings or opinions in a respected scientific paper himself. That's how respect and recognition is earned in 'real life'..

Of course there's nothing of value for him to post anywhere.
As is mostly the case on this site here as well.

Besides this is not about being "right" or "wrong".
That's the first fatal misunderstanding of things.
Besides some of us are too old, wise, slightly matured and experienced for that.

So, what is it all about - how can one help?

Happy "getting yourself a life" perhaps Sir??

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 04/28/16 09:25 PM.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EP
On the other hand, it's a bit frustrating when people talk about "The Steinway Sound" or (name your brand), and then say, well, you really can't define it because it depends on too many other factors. So, does the Steinway sound or the Yamaha sound, etc. really exist or is it really a meaningless exercise?

That is my point.

If the sound of a particular brand of piano does exist, (and we hear a lot about that such sounds exist here on PW and elsewhere), then a simple CD that contains a strong representational sample of each would illustrate, and suffice.

And, thinking further about this, those sampled pianos would not have to be recorded in exactly the same environment. Surely recordings exist of each brand that are clear representations. (As Bennevis has suggested above).

However, if there exist no such recordings that can be used side-by-side as simple illustrations, then the concept of an individual sound for each brand is in question.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
The nearest such CD I've ever found is one where Cyprien Katsaris plays Chopin's F minor concerto on four different pianos - Bösendorfer Imperial, Steingraeber E-272, Yamaha CF-IIIS and Steinway D. And yes, the different piano tones when heard in such context is immediately apparent.

I have that CD. For fun, I put up the excerpts and you can have a listen. As you said, the pianos are (in order of recordings from the CD) the concert pianos from Steinway, Boesendorfer, Yamaha, and Steingraeber all perform by Katsaris though at different venues. Before you get all technical, yes, different recording at different venues, different day for the same pianist, so on so on, not scientific, but it's still fun.

For extra fun, I mixed up the order of the pianos in the excerpt so it is different from the order on the CD. If you own the CD, please refrain from guessing until others have a chance to guess. Even though I mixed it up, I could still tell easily which is which, so if you don't have the CD, I'd be really interested to know which you think is which and which your favorite is?

Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/8octaves/which-piano-is-which

Please post your guess:

Piano 1 -
Piano 2 -
Piano 3 -
Piano 4 -

Favorite -

Please don't put Fazioli or S Kawai. Those are not possible answers. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My guess would be:

Piano 1 - Bosendorfer or Steingraeber
Piano 2 - Steinway
Piano 3 - Yamaha
Piano 4 - Steingraeber or Bosendorfer

But I've never heard a Steingraeber so have no reference for that.

My favorite is No 2 which is, I think, the Steinway. The treble has a lot of body and complexity - very nice.

Piano 3 seems the brightest and most bell-like in the treble.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Ooh, a game!

I'm guessing:
1) Yamaha
2) Steinway
3) I was initially going to guess Bosendorfer until I heard #4, which has a more delicate tone. So I'm going to guess Steingraeber. I think this was my favorite piano of the four.
4) Bosendorfer

Edit: now I'm thinking #1 might be Steingraeber and #3 Yamaha.

Last edited by twocats; 04/29/16 02:11 AM.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by EP
So, does the Steinway sound or the Yamaha sound, etc. really exist or is it really a meaningless exercise?

Personally, I think they really exist, again, within a parameter of tonal signature.

And, I think it is possible for a Yamaha to sound similar to a Steinway, and vise-versa, again within a certain scope of tonal signature.

And, no two acoustic piano sound 100%, exactly the same, even with the same brand.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Rick

I agree they do exist, and listening to a range of recordings of the same make and model will give you an envelope sound to work with and give you an idea of what that make and model can do but I would favour going out and playing a range of instruments to get the best impression. That is if you want to buy one and end up playing it yourself as it will sound very different live.

OP Offline
Lots of great responses! I think a CD is possible. Native Instruments has Akoustik Piano which features the Bechstein, Bosendorfer and Steinway, so it's possible to sample every one on the market. (each individual model)

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
Originally Posted by bennevis
And yes, the different piano tones when heard in such context is immediately apparent.

I'd love to see you in a real blind test, the number of people I've seen stumped (myself included) who thought they could distinguish individual brands from recordings, well it's pretty much 100% blind luck. But maybe you have golden ears, or psychic powers...:)

1. Bosie
2. Steinway
3. Yamaha
3. Steingraber. My favorite.

Schimmel 174T
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Norbert
It's a subject that has been going on for very long time. Without conclusive results.
I recently found an interesting documentary about how we "perceive sound" with the basic fact that every person perceives sound somewhat differently.
http://www.dw.com/en/program/sarahs-music/s-101118-9798
While some chose to laugh at this done by a world class researcher [but failed to publish their findings in international scientific journals..]
Wrong again. My comment was that the fact that different people perceive sound differently was very obvious, and it doesn't require reading a research paper to know that.

Any chance you could lay off the Norbert obsession? It's getting very tiresome. If I see it again, I'll be reporting it to the mods. Personal vendettas poison the environment for everybody.

S
S
1. Yamaha (the brightest of the lot)
2. Bosie (Dark and distinct, not too resonant)
3. Steinway (I don't know any other piano that resonates like that)
4. Steingraber (I've never played one, but I hear that they are very mellow)

Incidently, that is how I would order them, with 4 being the best. Well, 3 and 4 are very close. I like the mellowness of 4 but the resonance of 3. 4 sounds like all the recordings I've ever heard -.- so it has to be Steinway??!!

Man, I keep changing my mind about 3 and 4... but I will resist the temptation to change answers cry

The only last thing I will say is... 3 is really special. 4 is soothing, but 3 sings more. I would take that piano over the others if given the choice.

Last edited by sirwormsalot; 04/29/16 01:44 PM.
1. Yamaha
2. Steingraber
3. Bosendorfer
4. Steinway

When do we get the right answers to the quiz? smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'll guess (and be wrong)
1) Yamy
2) 'way
3) Bosie
4) 'greaber

I like 4 best, 1 least with the way my ears are screwed on at the moment.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
I'll guess (and be wrong)
1) Yamy
2) 'way
3) Bosie
4) 'greaber

I like 4 best, 1 least with the way my ears are screwed on at the moment.

That's because your Howard/Kawai 550 has a nice, mellowish tone. smile

If we don't get the right answers soon, I'll file a grievance with Academic Affairs. (Just kidding... grin )

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
1 might be Steingraeber, 4 Steinway, though. (But, I'll stay with my original wager.)

Katsaris is really pushing the RH in that passage, regardless (and the orchestral strings are annoying in clip 1). Can we have 'nuther pianist? 😀

I take it the Steinway is Hamburg, not NY. I'm not really getting that NY state of mind.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
I take it the Steinway is Hamburg, not NY. I'm not really getting that NY state of mind.

Yes, the Steinway is a Hamburg Steinway D.

@Rickster, patience, grasshopper.... will reveal answer soon.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by rocket88
Originally Posted by EP
On the other hand, it's a bit frustrating when people talk about "The Steinway Sound" or (name your brand), and then say, well, you really can't define it because it depends on too many other factors. So, does the Steinway sound or the Yamaha sound, etc. really exist or is it really a meaningless exercise?

That is my point.

If the sound of a particular brand of piano does exist, (and we hear a lot about that such sounds exist here on PW and elsewhere), then a simple CD that contains a strong representational sample of each would illustrate, and suffice.

One of the design factors of a piano is the hammer strike point. It is one design factor that impacts the tonality of an instrument in a way other than loudness and overall brightness (or lack thereof). Hammer strike point impacts the actual strength of individual harmonics and therefore can change the harmonic palette of a piano much like playing with the drawbars on a Hammond organ. Guitarists know this well because where along the string they strum changes the tonality of the resulting sound. Strum by the bridge and it sounds nasal, strum near the neck and it sounds mellow and wooly.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
My Guesses:

1. Yamaha
2. Steinway
3. Steingraeber
4. Bodendorfer

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
One of the design factors of a piano is the hammer strike point. It is one design factor that impacts the tonality of an instrument in a way other than loudness and overall brightness (or lack thereof). Hammer strike point impacts the actual strength of individual harmonics and therefore can change the harmonic palette of a piano ....

On many pianos, it's adjustable. When I got mine, the adjustment screws were missing, so I had to make new ones and adjust them. I asked my tech about it, he was happy with where I had set them. There's one on each end of the action, the treble one makes the most difference because the strings there are much shorter.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

My guesses.

1. Somebody hammering nails into a wall.
2. Tin cans being thrown into a galvanised dust-bin (US trashcan).
3. Somebody doing somthing unspeakable to a cat.
4. A Banjo and accordéon duet.

I'm not sure that the loud-speakers in my computer are of the highest quality however.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission