2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
As a beginner, I tend to watch videos as much as I find easy sheet music. Well, many videos appear on YouTube, and it seems that the gender ratio is skewed towards males. I did some browsing, and one article seemed to confirm that on YouTube, there are a lot of male pianists giving tutorials, but also added that most piano teachers are females. So, I suppose that evens out.

I don't think the gender ratio is important anyways. You can only distinguish the gender of the pianist, if the camera shows the pianist's body and the pianist is wearing gendered clothing, which often means some kind of formal wear. Hey, has anybody noticed that classical pianists wear formal wear, while pop pianists wear whatever they want?

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I think it's pretty balanced, but does that ever comes into play?

as for wear, I think formal wear is to make an impression on the audience that this is a serious and well researched business. but I'm glad I can play with shorts and t-shirt at home. smile

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Compianist
on YouTube, there are a lot of male pianists giving tutorials, but also added that most piano teachers are females.

Most teachers (of anything) are female grin.

Male 'teachers' tend to be 'coaches' (of sports)......

In the UK, there are now hardly any primary school teachers who are male, and things are following suit in high schools. Males teaching kids (especially on a one-to-one basis) get problems that female teachers in the same situations rarely encounter. No wonder many of them do it via YouTube instead.......

When I was in high school (many, many, many years ago), all the peripatetic music teachers who taught musical instruments were female. And almost all the music teachers who taught the music course were female too. The only male teacher was the Head of the Music Department, who was also our choir master. But the current Head of Music in that school (and choir mistress) is female.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
If you look at all the people who have ever played the piano I'd say females would be strongly over-represented. But if you look at people who spend time on forums such as this or post videos of themselves playing in Youtube most of them seem to be male. I have quite a few theories why smile

Last edited by outo; 04/28/16 03:03 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted by outo
But if you look at people who spend time on forums such as this or post videos of themselves playing in Youtube most of them seem to be male. I have quite a few theories why smile

Testosterone? grin

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by bennevis
Males teaching kids (especially on a one-to-one basis) get problems that female teachers in the same situations rarely encounter. No wonder many of them do it via YouTube instead.......

I think the same sort of thing happens when single men attempt to adopt children. Adoption agencies, I've read, seem to prefer heterosexual married couples over singles and LGBT people.

On the topic of male piano teachers, I know one piano teacher in my neighborhood. In fact, on a website, he seems to be the closest piano teacher, that charges a modest rate, has a background check done, and seems to be a very accomplished pianist and composer. Apparently, his high reputation on the website and his own website has good reviews and recommendations. One reviewer listed his contact member, so I contacted him to find more about the teacher. I think that's the piano teacher I'm going to in the future... once every few months. The teacher lists his home street address on his website, because his home is also his private studio. I visited the house one afternoon and rang the doorbell. His father answered. I think he lives with Mom and Dad. So, the extra people in the house might have been more secure to the parents of his younger clients than a single man living alone.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

Males teaching kids (especially on a one-to-one basis) get problems that female teachers in the same situations rarely encounter. ...

What kind of problems are you talking about? References?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by wouter79

Males teaching kids (especially on a one-to-one basis) get problems that female teachers in the same situations rarely encounter. ...

What kind of problems are you talking about? References?

I think bennevis is talking about the anxious feeling some people may feel about entering a person's house or studio for private lessons.

Though, when I was in grade school, there seemed to be equal numbers of male and female teachers at the high school level.

on YouTube, there are a lot of male pianists giving tutorials, but also added that most piano teachers are females.

Most teachers (of anything) are female grin.

Male 'teachers' tend to be 'coaches' (of sports)......

In the UK, there are now hardly any primary school teachers who are male, and things are following suit in high schools. Males teaching kids (especially on a one-to-one basis) get problems that female teachers in the same situations rarely encounter. No wonder many of them do it via YouTube instead.......

When I was in high school (many, many, many years ago), all the peripatetic music teachers who taught musical instruments were female. And almost all the music teachers who taught the music course were female too. The only male teacher was the Head of the Music Department, who was also our choir master. But the current Head of Music in that school (and choir mistress) is female.......

Our music teacher (male) was a bit strange. So was the art teacher, though you got a laugh out o him. He used a sawn off cricket bat for discipline. . the French teacher also was. . .this list is growing. .
We had a "normal" teacher though. He had perfect order in his class. Had to leave his last school after sending an unruly lad through a classroom window. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Well, for responders to the ABF 2015 Survey the ratio is 56% male and 44% female.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by outo
But if you look at people who spend time on forums such as this or post videos of themselves playing in Youtube most of them seem to be male. I have quite a few theories why smile

Testosterone? grin

That one is among them wink

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
And how does the performance of a piece differ between genders? Is there a difference?

Are there pieces which are more suited for either a man or a woman?

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by chopinoholic
And how does the performance of a piece differ between genders? Is there a difference?

Are there pieces which are more suited for either a man or a woman?

Since there are no specific properties that would be exclusive to one gender that directly affect playing I'd have to say no.

But statistically more women do suffer from the smaller hands -syndrome, so some pieces do present special difficulties for them grin

Fwiw, all of my music teachers throughout school were male. Only my piano teacher as a child was a woman. My teacher now, as an adult, is male. Funnily enough, most of the piano YouTubers that I subscribe to are female. Ymmv, I guess! smile

Roland F130-R
B
B
Originally Posted by chopinoholic

I remember reading an article in International Piano magazine about women pianists, where several well-known female concert pianists were interviewed.

When asked whether they think that there's a difference between the way male and female pianists play, the consensus was that males in general play louder than females. One of the interviewees (I think it was Janina Fialkowska) said that the volume difference was quite marked when she sat on the jury of piano competitions, and heard several pianists play the same pieces on the same pianos.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

IIRC, there were some demonstrations done about a century ago with pianists playing behind a curtain, hidden from the audience. People couldn't guess the difference.....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Males teaching kids (especially on a one-to-one basis) get problems that female teachers in the same situations rarely encounter. No wonder many of them do it via YouTube instead.......

I think the same sort of thing happens when single men attempt to adopt children. Adoption agencies, I've read, seem to prefer heterosexual married couples over singles and LGBT people.

On the topic of male piano teachers, I know one piano teacher in my neighborhood. In fact, on a website, he seems to be the closest piano teacher, that charges a modest rate, has a background check done, and seems to be a very accomplished pianist and composer. Apparently, his high reputation on the website and his own website has good reviews and recommendations. One reviewer listed his contact member, so I contacted him to find more about the teacher. I think that's the piano teacher I'm going to in the future... once every few months. The teacher lists his home street address on his website, because his home is also his private studio. I visited the house one afternoon and rang the doorbell. His father answered. I think he lives with Mom and Dad. So, the extra people in the house might have been more secure to the parents of his younger clients than a single man living alone.

Our Town*s piano teachers were married to each other, he taught the boys and she taught the girls, including Tbonesister, in their house. It seemed totally normal although I now see that is a rare arrangement. When I was playing Trumpet in school though, I never heard of a female brass teacher.

*Bedford was right out of the play Our Town.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I wonder what the ratios are for technicians and tuners.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission