2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
For those of you not shy about discussing prices here,
I'd like estimates for:

1) Replacing a tuning pin as part of a standard tuning job.

2) Replacing a tuning pin as a stand-alone job.

This is your typical #2 to #4 replacement for a loose pin.

Thanks in advance....

Piano Player
Part-time Professional Piano Tuner/Technician
Piano Voicer In-Training
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Something you might consider, instead of replacing a pin, is using CA glue. I've been using it for many years now and have had astounding results. If you'd like to know more I'd be happy to give you more info.

Not too long ago I purchased the "Repair Labor Guide by Joseph A. Garrett". It lists a pin replacement as .30 hours. So, take that number times your hourly rate and there ya go.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by That Guy
Something you might consider, instead of replacing a pin, is using CA glue. I've been using it for many years now and have had astounding results. If you'd like to know more I'd be happy to give you more info.

Not too long ago I purchased the "Repair Labor Guide by Joseph A. Garrett". It lists a pin replacement as .30 hours. So, take that number times your hourly rate and there ya go.

Yes, I use CA glue too, and it does work amazingly well.

Roughly $50/hour times 0.3 gives me $15, which sounds very reasonable. 0.3 hours is 18 minutes, or about 20 minutes, so that sounds about right too.

However, in the rare case it was a stand-alone job, i would probably charge $50, just for my drive time and gas, but that sounds like a rare occurrence, since the whole piano is usually out of tune anyways.

Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it!

grin

Piano Player
Part-time Professional Piano Tuner/Technician
Piano Voicer In-Training
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
I too have had great success with CA treatment. One particular example springs to mind as a good example. An old upright piano had three tuning pins with the horrible metal sleeves, which someone had fitted some time ago. I always found them to be absolutely useless and stopped ever attempting to use them many years ago. The three pins were very loose. I took them out, extracted also the three metal sleeves, and carefully coated the surfaces of the holes with CA glue. After a short while I put the pins in, put the coils on, and tuned up, and the result was extremely satisfactory. I only took those pins right out because of the metal sleeves. Ordinarily I find that CA applied carefully so as not to run down the plate (or the pinblock, if an older piano with open-face pinblock) works well.

H
H
Scott, David, Musicdude, can you briefly describe how you would apply CA to treat loose tuning pins; ie. is the piano (upright pianos) laid on it's back? or Is the CA applied with piano standing in normal vertical position? I have a customer in a few days who says there are some pins on her piano that are seated in holes lined with sandpaper to assist with holding the tension - but unsuccessfully.

Jamie

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
You can apply the CA with the piano standing up. You need low-viscosity CA ("water thin") and a very fine applicator of some kind. Some blister packs of small bottles come with ideal little nozzles, in "Pound Shops" (Dollar Stores) in the UK.

Apply carefully, not too fast, so that the CA doesn't run down the plate. Watch it wick in, until no more will go.

That method is fine for a few loose pins. If you are doing the whole piano, best to put it on its back.

I'm not sure about the sandpaper thing - whether it would be better to take those pins out and coat the holes with CA. Does anyone have success just putting in CA when there is already a sandpaper or card shim in place? Does it work OK? Worth a try, I think.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Boyce
Does anyone have success just putting in CA when there is already a sandpaper or card shim in place? Does it work OK? Worth a try, I think.

I'm know as it's work. If the cardboard didn't help, it is possible to reason bundle veneer of a pinblock about
Cardboard 3mm can make tightening if that no bundle veneer of a pinblock
Here video: https://youtu.be/pOBwn2odX-g?list=PLDD6668CC75A16250

H
H
Thanks David, I will try that if need be. Maximillyan that is a very interesting and helpful video.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hemloch
Maximillyan that is a very interesting and helpful video.

It would be glad if it's information will help you in solving the problem of loose tuning pins of your upright piano
Regards,Max

H
H
I wonder if using a separate container and thinning CA with acetone could give desired consistency if there is no store bought CA thin enough?

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission