2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
(the original rd700 without the gx, nx, sx ...whatever those strange acronyms means)
I bought it without knowing what it was. I feel stupid and I do not like the piano sound very much, but the keys are fantastic. Build quality is out of this world.

I also noticed the sample rom was only 64Mb!!!, I do accept the sound is not in the bits and bytes only, but this sounds almost way to small.

How can you even fit a 88-note 3 layer stereo sample on that space, even with the best producers? I think that is one reason the samples are not ringing out naturally , but get looped very fast, and a short decay.

Anyway , I think the piano has possibilities, what could I do? buy a laptop with a updated piano sample library, and use it as a controller? , but I am skeptic to this solution at stage work.

To me a RD-700GX, with 250Mb wave rom, sounds like more "realistic" approach to me, even if I got sounds in software that take gigabytes, I still think you can do lot with that size.

Any tip? Should I sell it and go for a RD-700GX?, or keep it. Thank-you for reading this.

Last edited by rolfie; 05/04/16 04:33 PM.
Why did you buy it?

R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I thought the RD700 was the next best to RD800,and I did a really good buy (big mistake) confuced by all those strange lables. but it was a really big step down in quality compared to the rd800. I bought for playing at stage , pianobar like gigs , where the piano is the carrying sound, "important" sound.

Last edited by rolfie; 05/04/16 02:21 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
RD700 was a great stage piano at the time. One of my friends had it and I've had the chance to play on stage with it. The piano sound was very good for live playing and was able to cut through the band perfectly. There's a good Rhodes if I remember correctly. And the keyboard is the typical Roland's light and swift yet substantial action. If I were you, I'd keep it for live playing. However for solo home playing it's very outdated. If I am not mistaken, it's the same nasal piano sound that I had in my FP5 and which I hated mightily.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/04/16 02:13 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
There is mounted an expansion XRS? something board inside ... It gives the piano a lift , really superduper good back then ,but in a live setting doubt my audience can differ from this and a multi-gigabyte sample library.

My point is that "I" must feel good when playing, even my audience do not get it.
All I can say is , I love that keys , I get so connected to the instrument.Do they even make keyboards as sturdy these days ? I was thinking of keeping it as a home practice board.

Last edited by rolfie; 05/04/16 02:38 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
One of the latest SRX expansion boards was specifically piano oriented, OTOH I'd say SRX-11 and it was pretty decent sounding one, equal or better to SX which I owned and I used to like.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
http://www.museresearch.com/products/

I think I can have a plugin in this box and have a some decent dedicated hardware instead of a laptop ...

Last edited by rolfie; 05/04/16 03:13 PM.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
In your place, I'd find a laptop computer, and load the free "trial" version of Pianoteq. And use the RD-700 (since you really like the feel of the keyboard) as a MIDI controller.

A few notes will be silent, but you'll know quickly whether you like those Pianoteq sounds, or not. If you think they're OK, you can buy the "Stage" version for way, way less money than you'll spend on a new DP.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
great stuff, do you have some history with using laptops live, is it error prone ? Pianoteck seems to be a modelling software , not just a sample player, only need 40mb ....

Last edited by rolfie; 05/04/16 04:03 PM.
D
D
I think the rd700 with the build in sounds is not bad at all: Here is an good example http://youtu.be/ff8UwvPK0G4
or
http://youtu.be/YYSFDjdchIg

Daniel

Last edited by danielp11; 05/04/16 04:52 PM.

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In the first video, the pianist (vkgoeswild) is playing a Roland RD700-GX. In the second one, also from vkgoeswild, the model number is not readable, but in her latest videos, she seems to be playing the same instrument, and it has some letters after the RD-700.

The Roland RD-700, with no added letters at the end, looks different from the instruments vkgoeswild is playing in the above videos.

http://www.roland.com/products/rd-700/

Edit (third one) This video showcases the RD-700, and it's not so bad. It's from 2007, so the RD-700 is probably at least ten years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jicjyXyr9bc

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/04/16 05:30 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
she is doing the 700gx, even the 700sx, 700nx is the newest ? Well all those strange letters, to much for my little mind ....

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't know much about Rolands, but vkgoeswild plays a 700NX in her more recent videos, so it's probably the newest in the 700 line.

By the way, love her covers, you just saved my evening, been listening to her playing, before going to sleep. cool

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
She for sure is , redefined my notion about playing harder rock with a piano ....

Last edited by rolfie; 05/04/16 06:12 PM.
I think original RD-700 was released back in 2000 or 2001.
Back then 64MB ROM was considered big. At around the same time, the original Motif had only slightly more than that.

I agree that virtual instruments on laptop would give you a lot better sounds and a lot of options.
But since you play live, you may want to consider if you want to manage that on stage (switch sounds, live editing etc.)

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by rolfie
great stuff, do you have some history with using laptops live, is it error prone ? Pianoteck seems to be a modelling software , not just a sample player, only need 40mb ....

No, I haven't used it "live".

It has never crashed, when I've been playing it.

To reduce the chance of a crash or glitch:

. . . disable the computer's WiFi adapter;

. . . disable automatic Windows updates;

. . . disable anti-virus software (turn it on when re-connecting
. . . to the Internet).

Don't you want to be a pioneer? <g>

Yes, it's a "pure modelling" program. 40 mBytes of program, no need for a super-fast disk. It _does_ need a fairly fast floating-point CPU -- Intel i5 is enough.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I try to avoid nerve wrecking situations where 200 people wants more, and the laptop is updating windows. There are to much going on on a laptop, would prefer a generic box .... anyway thanks for your input, really great!It would help with a designated laptop.

I bought once a mp3 player witch stopped during a gig because it needed a driver update... what the heck is this happening to me?

Last edited by rolfie; 05/04/16 09:52 PM.
J
J
Hi Rolfie, what an unfortunate mistake to make. An alternative solution (if you decide to keep the RD700 for it's keyboard action), is to simply buy yourself a good quality sound module and operate it via midi cable from the RD700.

There are usually some pretty good sound modules available at cheap prices secondhand, that would hopefully contain some satisfactory piano sounds, plus more.

I am certainly not knocking the suggestion of using a software piano and laptop etc, but there is potentially quite a cost involved, and you have to consider latency issues.

If you decide to explore the sound module option, try not to get something too old, otherwise you'll not be getting piano sounds that are sufficiently superior to what you already have. Make sure you listen before buying.

I have 2 sound modules which are now getting a bit dated in terms of the piano samples, compared to some of the high quality samples in the likes of Roland RD800, Korg Kronos. Kawai MP7 (& MP11), ES8, Yamaha CP4, and some of the top end Kurzweil's, Nord's etc, but they are still very usable. For instance, my 2008 Korg MicroX (which you can buy very cheaply these days and yet packs a huge punch..and comes with a sturdy protective orange plastic carry case) is a reasonable option. For me, the ultimate sound module is the Roland Integra, but they are expensive, but you'd have an awesome arsenal of top notch Roland sounds that could be driven via midi from any midi keyboard you use....and you don't need a laptop, and have no latency issues.

All the best with your decision.

1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano
D
D
Originally Posted by TheodorN
I don't know much about Rolands, but vkgoeswild plays a 700NX in her more recent videos, so it's probably the newest in the 700 line.

By the way, love her covers, you just saved my evening, been listening to her playing, before going to sleep. cool

Thanks for the correction...
By the way whats the differerence between all these imstruments in the 700 line?

She plays really awesome.. Here is another example http://youtu.be/4fGE07dATvc

Daniel

Last edited by danielp11; 05/04/16 11:05 PM.

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Seems the RD-700SX is the oldest model, after the RD-700 of course. The GX is the next to come out, and lastly the the RD-700NX.

Not sure what the differences are, at least they concern action and sound, the GX and NX have the Supernatural sounds. The GX has the PHA II keyboard action, and the NX the PHA III. The higher numbered actions are probably improved from the lower numbered ones.

In the first paragraph, I've linked to the Roland's information pages for each of the models, for details and specifications.

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/05/16 04:24 AM.

Me on YouTube

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission