2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
It's not just Mozart. Every composer sounds contrived when played "properly", but for Mozart this is especially true in my opinion. The problem is you have "musicality" being taught by the academia, or privately, to students with no musical personalities, who then regurgitate what they've been taught to appear musical. It's false musicianship, and it's this kind of thinking that has flooded the classical field with non-musicians who are praised for their exceptionally average performances.

Okay, this makes your point more clear.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Mozart pianists are bad at Mozart.
If this is not meant humorously and "Mozart pianists" means pianists famous for their Mozart playing, then frankly it's just nonsense.

It's not just Mozart. Every composer sounds contrived when played "properly", but for Mozart this is especially true in my opinion. The problem is you have "musicality" being taught by the academia, or privately, to students with no musical personalities, who then regurgitate what they've been taught to appear musical. It's false musicianship, and it's this kind of thinking that has flooded the classical field with non-musicians who are praised for their exceptionally average performances.
While we all know, based on your concert performances and PW recordings, that you play and understand music better than de Larrocha and Richter, there is no need to trash them. eek

Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson

Joel, do you consider this bad Mozart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX4FRmVbiAg

Or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oeKz91fRkU

Neither are very good.
Haha!

In case this is actually meant seriously, let me point out that, at ten years old, both of those pianists understood more about music and played better than you ever will even if you practice 10 hours/day for the next 100 years.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Mozart is like the swimsuit competition in a beauty pageant. There is no room to hide your imperfections!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

While we all know, based on your concert performances and PW recordings, that you play and understand music better than de Larrocha and Richter, there is no need to trash them. eek

This doesn't refute anything I said. You're going to have to come up with some better argumentation.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Neither are very good.

Haha! In case this is actually meant seriously, let me point out that, at ten years old, both of those pianists understood more about music and played better than you ever will even if you practice 10 hours/day for the next 100 years.

If you say so.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by boo1234
Mozart is like the swimsuit competition in a beauty pageant. There is no room to hide your imperfections!

Are you speaking from experience? tiki

I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I

Or this?

Neither are very good.

Just curious, JoelW. Where did you study piano and are you a professional performer?

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That's irrelevant.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949

Or this?

Neither are very good.

Just curious, JoelW. Where did you study piano and are you a professional performer?
He's a teenage or slightly older person who from his posts I don't think has studied for some time. His posted performance consists of an average student performance of one of the easier Debussy Preludes.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/05/16 12:57 AM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Joel, maybe you can give some positive input for a change. For example, what is your favourite/perfect Mozart performance?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
For me, Mozart is at his best in the combination violin+piano, the main instruments he played himself

The violin excels at playing the melody, with perfect phrasing possibilities.

Some examples (just a few quick picks from youtube)

here is one with period instruments

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
That's irrelevant.

I consider this a relevant question, considering you find it possible to diss a performance by Larrocha. You seem to come from a place of much experience and technical expertise. I listened to your recordings here on Piano World and it seems your do not come from a place that would be on the same level as Larrocha. Stop hiding behind your curt responses. They are ridiculous. Spend more time at the piano and less on the Internet. Oh and you should consider spending less time being critical of professional performances until you reach that level yourself. It's just silly on your part.

Last edited by Isabelle1949; 05/05/16 11:29 AM.

I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Doritos, Sonata Facile can be seen as a study in scale runs, turns, left hand control and arpeggios. It's not hard, if practiced and brought to speed. I have only played with it and that was many years ago. No, I'm not a beginner, but returned to the piano recently after a 12 years absence. After my son's death 12 years ago, I found it too painful to make and enjoy beautiful music. He and I were very closely connected, not only as mother and child, but through music also.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Quote from Artur Schnabel

“The sonatas of Mozart are unique; they are too easy for children, and too difficult for artists.”

My honored first teacher, a lady in her 70's who had taught at the Bucharest national conservatory of music in her professional career, and who had me as her first ever beginner gave this quote to me in the form:

"Mozart sonatas are too easy for children and too difficult for grown ups."

When she took up the first Mozart sonata with me I was no longer a child but not yet a grown up. What she wanted to convey was that the real difficulty with Mozart is an emotional one. Once you appreciate, as a grown up, the emotional dimension of his music the difficulty of expressing it changes dramatically.

PS. My favorite remains KV 310, and I am convinced I will struggle with its emotions until my technical abilities will have left me completely.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That's irrelevant.

I consider this a relevant question, considering you find it possible to diss a performance by Larrocha. You seem to come from a place of much experience and technical expertise. I listened to your recordings here on Piano World and it seems your do not come from a place that would be on the same level as Larrocha. Stop hiding behind your curt responses. They are ridiculous. Spend more time at the piano and less on the Internet. Oh and you should consider spending less time being critical of professional performances until you reach that level yourself. It's just silly on your part.

Those recordings do not represent me. At all.

Perhaps I was a little crass in my initial post, but is it really such a big deal? Is everyone so offended that I find most pianists mediocre? I even provided my reasoning. If you don't like it, prove me wrong. Don't just tell me I'm not good enough to judge, which is a fallacy anyway.

Online Content
That's irrelevant.

Perhaps I was a little crass in my initial post, but is it really such a big deal? Is everyone so offended that I find most pianists mediocre? I even provided my reasoning. If you don't like it, prove me wrong. Don't just tell me I'm not good enough to judge, which is a fallacy anyway.
A little crass?

You definitely don't have the musical knowledge to pass judgement on the likes of de Larrocha and Richter, two pianists almost universally condsidered among the greatest of the 20th century. I assure you there are a lot more members who thought your post was incredibly arrogant but just didn't bother replying. How would you even know what goes on during conservatory teaching? You certainly haven't gone to one yourself.

I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
That's irrelevant.

I take offense that you think at your level of experience you can judge others whose level is way above yours and most people's. I would wonder what other top level performers you think give mediocre performances. Considering your age, I don't believe you have adequate life experiences to be as critical as you are. And, sorry, but those performances were done by you so they do represent you and your ability. Go practice.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianoloverus
You definitely don't have the musical knowledge to pass judgement on the likes of de Larrocha and Richter, two pianists almost universally condsidered among the greatest of the 20th century. I assure you there are a lot more members who thought your post was incredibly arrogant but just didn't bother replying. How would you even know what goes on during conservatory teaching? You certainly haven't gone to one yourself.

You're trying to defeat my argument with the very thing I'm arguing against.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I take offense that you think at your level of experience you can judge others whose level is way above yours and most people's. I would wonder what other top level performers you think give mediocre performances. Considering your age, I don't believe you have adequate life experiences to be as critical as you are.

I have no delusions in think I am the best pianist in the world, but I can tell when a pianist understands the music and when they don't. No amount of education will ever make someone understand something if they don't already have an innate understanding of it.

And, sorry, but those performances were done by you so they do represent you and your ability. Go practice.

whistle

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission