2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ramzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey PW,
I am currently learning the aforementioned prelude, and, without a teacher to go by, am not sure how I should play the first section. Should I play it fast like Kissin, emotional like Gilels, or something else completely? Also, a bit of a recurring problem is that I can't properly play the sixteenths with my left hand. It is always too slow! Should I use lots of wrist motion, or play the section more slowly, or what? Thanks everyone!

Taught myself piano through sheet music and recently gotten into classical music (especially Chopin)
Working on: Rachmaninoff Prelude G minor.
My goal in piano: Chopin Ballade No.3
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I don't think that you should try to emulate Kissin, Gilels, or anyone else. You should study the piece and decide what your interpretation is, not copy someone else's.

The Schirmer edition marks this at MM = 108 to the quarter note; Ruth Laredo in her Peters Edition marks it at 112. Whatever tempo you choose, the sixteenth-notes in the left hand must be in tempo. The piece is marked "Alla marcia", a designation that indicates pretty strict timing for the first section. If you can't play the sixteenth-notes at the same tempo as everything else in the section, then you have to adjust your tempo so that everything is at the same tempo.

If it's still too slow, then perhaps this isn't the time to be working on this Prelude.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Ramzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok that's what I've been doing for the interpretation, and the 16th note problems are at around 108, so maybe I can tone it down just a bit. It's like 60% of the time they are fine but then for whatever reason I just can't play them as 3 but instead 2 and it's really annoying.

Taught myself piano through sheet music and recently gotten into classical music (especially Chopin)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with Bruce.....live with the piece , listen to different performances, then you will gradually choose what is right for you. This is not an easy piece....If the LH sixteenths are a problem are you ready for this piece??

Musica 71
Ramzi Offline OP
OP Offline
I believe I am ready, I've been focusing on those sixteenths and they work now. I've worked on it for about a month or so and can play the majority of the first section fairly well. It's just that I don't want to fall into some bad habit of the LH sixteenths, like using too much arm or not enough wrist or something.

Ramzi Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess my main question is how to play the sixteenths. Should I have my hands flat, or should I bend my wrist and make my hands very floppy? I have tried both ways and I am not sure which is more efficient.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
At the risk of trying to poorly describe something which would be so easy to demonstrate (sigh!):

I would suggest that you not use heavy arm weight on those sixteenth-note chords but that you drop down on them fairly lightly* and "spring" off the third one with a distinctly upward motion of the wrist. Let that third chord be a sort of jumping off point. This, if done the way I think (!) I'm trying to describe it, would enable you to play the chords quickly and would help avoid tension.

* In practice (but much less so in performance) aim for and accent the third chord as you spring (bounce?) away from it.

I'm not sure this conveys what I'm trying to convey.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Ramzi,

Why don't you post a video that shows any hand/wrist/arm issues you want people to examine.

Ramzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually I've been trying out Bruce's technique and it works really well. I'll post a video when I can, but I've got it down. Thanks Bruce!

N
N
Not necessarily something you should do in particular, but Prokofiev has a fairly interesting interpretation, especially in the middle section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjutQ97DRhw

I had to listen to this piece for some months while eldest son learned it. I could practically recite each note from memory! smile

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission