2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2537385 05/06/16 08:46 PM
C
Cassia Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I was sorting through old photos today and came across a picture of the old upright I learned on and thought it would be fun to share the progression of pianos I've owned, up to my new Yamaha.

First is this Thayer. My grandparents bought it for my mom when she was young. When I was 7, we moved into a house that had space for a piano, so my mom and dad moved it from Portland to Boise (450 miles) in the back of a truck. In January. It never had anything more than basic tunings and was pretty rough. But it's the only piano I had for over 20 years and I loved it.
[Linked Image]

When I moved away from home and to Portland, the Thayer came with me (back where it started from). By that time, it was in sorry shape and I was barely playing anymore because I was so frustrated with the piano. At some point, it finally occurred to me that I could buy a better piano. I ended up trading in the Thayer on a refurbished 5'4" Cable Nelson from 1925. It was a great little piano and inspired me to start playing more. A lot more. Incidentally, I was living in a small apartment, less than 600 sq ft, and I had no problem fitting a grand in the space.
[Linked Image]

Then a few years after buying my house, I decided I wanted something slightly larger and ended up with the 1927 Mason & Hamlin A, which eventually ended in heartbreak (I won't rehash details here since there's like a 7 page post all about it).
[Linked Image]

And now my new Yamaha, which I expect to have for a good long time, at least until I'm ready to move to a 7 footer.
[Linked Image]

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Cassia, I really like your post. It shows such a nice progression over time. There seem to be a lot of posts by people who are starting out and really worked up about choosing the right piano to take them all the way through their piano journey. I keep wanting to tell them, choosing a spouse, that's a lifetime commitment, choosing a piano, not so much.

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A very interesting bit of history, Cassia! I'll bet your playing ability has improved/progressed along the way as well.

I think I have shared my piano adventures here on PW often. When I would get rid of one piano and get another, I'd share it here on PW. Like you, I love the piano(s) I have now, and even if I spent a fortune on something better, it wouldn't be head and shoulders better than what I have now.

Thanks for sharing your piano history!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Hi Cassia,

Wonderful story of deepening love and dedication! From Walt Whitman comes the line, "I have loved them, loved them all." A grand piano in <600 squ. ft. is an inspiration to us all on the power of our infatuations.

Not to revisit old wounds, but could you provide a link here to the seven-page chronicle of the demise of the M&H? Thanks.

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Perfect with my morning coffee. Thanks for sharing.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I can also see a carpet progression. smile

C
Cassia Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed.

SoundThumb - I totally agree! Especially with so many really beautiful pianos out there, it can be hard to decide "this piano! This is the perfect piano for me!" And not everyone can afford one of those really beautiful pianos. That Thayer wouldn't have passed anyone's tech inspection, but I progressed from beginner to advanced on it. If all someone can afford is a free piano from Craigslist, they can make it work for them if they're a motivated learner.

Rick - I've read some of your piano stories and I love them! Someday, I hope to have enough space for multiple pianos, just like you. And yes, I've noticed my ability has progressed with each piano. The Yamaha is really going to help me refine some aspects of my playing.

agraffe - here's the link to my thread about the M&H and how I ended up with the Yamaha (it's only 5 pages, not 7 like I thought): Decisions, decisions . No worries about revisiting old wounds, it was a tough decision but I made the right decision. And I love that Walt Whitman quote, very apropos.

Bosendorff - ha! I noticed that when I was posting the thread yesterday. I hadn't quite realized until then that a new piano somehow translated to a new rug. When I move to a 7' tier 1 piano, maybe I'll also end up with a hand-woven Persian rug.

Last edited by Cassia; 05/07/16 01:12 PM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
This was fun to see, thanks for sharing! And I also enjoyed the rug progression smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission