2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fizikisto
Groove-On, That's really interesting. I've used the Leitner method with the study of academic subjects, but never applied the approach to piano. Can you describe a little more how you implement it? What is a typical day of practice like for you? Warm Regards

Originally, I created the Leitner box to manage my flashcards (scales & chords), but it morphed into my "TO DO" box. thumb

Generally, when I sit down, I start with the first "TO DO" card in the box and work on that, moving & marking the cards as I finish them. At the end, I organize the cards so I'm ready for the next "sit-down" session.

For example, I get a take home piece each week (classical). So I'll analyze and sight-read it and then create a plan to tackle the piece. Each step in the "plan" to tackle the piece becomes a card. Last week's piece had 6 separate steps - so 6 cards. For example, the piece had an accelerating/decelerating rhythm (triplets to 16ths and back) which I wasn't playing correctly - so I made a technical exercise to practice that - and that became a card. I also created a card to practice the chord progression and cadences from the piece. And of course 1 card to play-through without stopping (slowly and then at tempo).

My jazz teacher asked me to quickly recognize all the Sus4 patterns on the keyboard - so that's a card (technical exercise). He will eventually ask me to drill the Sus4 notation - that will become a "TO DO" card. He also asked me to apply 6 different left hand patterns to a jazz song - that's a card. Then he asked me to practice that song in all keys - that became 4 separate "TO DO" cards with 3 keys per card.

Further down the box are sections for revisiting old cards in the 2nd & 3rd week and also every month. I usually do new cards M, T, THU, while old cards are on W and F.

I find this to be a very convenient way to manage practice. The cards kinda do all the work, I just need to sit down and concentrate on what I'm doing.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
O
O
I practice about two hours a day. But that is after subtracting breaks, phone calls, coffee sips, and Facebook checks. I also subtracted any quarter note or longer rests, because I'm not playing during the rests. Many songs that I'm learning are not up to speed. So if I practice a song with mm of 160 at actually 40 for ten minutes, I count that as 40 minutes of practice. If I practice hands separate for ten minutes I only count it as five. So it all washes to two hours.

Unless there's nothing on TV....

C
C
~ 2 hours for technical exercises including sight reading and 1 hour for pieces dedicated for for an exam. The rest is for me smile

I try to keep limit for exercises, excluding things I like to play at maximal 3 hours. I don't think I can benefit anything more if I exceed this limit.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
It is interesting to note the differences in practice times.

I am more of a little & often kind of person, so more likely to do 2 or 3 sessions of 10~15 mins rather than sit for 30~60 mins.

Bought an electric piano (Yamaha NP31) as a retirement project.
My kinds of music are mainly rock, blues, country, & folk. thumb
T
T
I can go for days without touching the instrument. Instead, I listen to a lot of different stuff that may be of interest to the stuff I'm going to perform. I also practice a lot in my head, going over chord changes, bass figures, runs and licks. When I finally sit down at the instrument, I have a pretty good idea of what to play or try out. For me, it saves a lot of time. When it comes to physical strength; well, I swim a lot, and when swimming, I find rhythms and grooves to match my strokes..My arms, shoulders, fingers profit a lot from the exercise, and technique that I learned during my childhood and youth (years of hard classical training) is easy to maintain.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission