2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A C major chord consists of the notes number 1, 3, and 5, of the scale (or key) of C major. C is the first note of the C major scale, E the third, and G the fifth. These numbers do not represent intervals.

Every major chord is constructed the same way, by notes 1, 3, and 5 of the major scale it's root note represents. D major (DF#A) is made up of the first, third, and fifth note of the D major scale.

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/26/16 12:07 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
tanks, Does this result to I can always conclude that the .. 3'th and 5'th as musical concepts are the 4 and 7 halfstep if do my counting upwards from the base.

I thought it was strange the site referred to them as intervals , it just added to the confusion.

I think the table below will from my perspective help me in the short run I "think" in C , so all I have is to have a fast lookup table in another key.
C D E F G A B C
D E F G A B C D
E F G A B C D E
'
'
etc

Last edited by rolfie; 05/26/16 01:36 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Your table is wrong. If you start on D it should be D E F# G A B C# D (the D major scale). If you start on E then it's E F# G# A B C# D# E (the E major). Use your ears. Every major scale sounds the same.

R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes I see it , because of the WWHWWWH thing.

I was thinking more in simple chords. My problem will mostly be: I know I need the Am if I was in key of C, but now I am in key of F (need to look up something fast) ...

I kinda "know" the chords , at least the simple ones. I know a C9 , but I was asked to play a E9 , and then had to think , lets see , must add a 7 and a 2 ...hmmm

Last edited by rolfie; 05/26/16 02:25 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is the best site for learning to understand theory that I know. I suggest you start at the beginning and you can still ask questions on what you run across.

https://www.teoria.com/

The word "major" is used in three places, and has a specific meaning in each: major intervals, major scales, major chords (triad chords, specifically). You are asking about major chords.

We are dealing with triads. Triads skip one letter name: C(D)E(F)G - so CEG etc. The first "qualities" of a triad you learn about are major and minor. Work with the piano and your ear, so it's not abstract.

CEG = major triad; C Eb G = minor triad
D F# A = major triad; DFA = minor triad
GBD = major triad; G Bb D = minor triad

Play these back and forth so you can hear the difference between major and minor triads; also play the three majors and the three minors to hear what is the same about them.

Notice that the outer notes are always the same between a major and a minor; the middle note is different. You could consider the middle note a kind of "light switch" that you can toggle up or down by a half step. The interval from C to E = 4 half steps = a major third interval; the interval from C to Eb = 3 half steps = a minor third interval. The interval of the outer notes is always a perfect 5th (CG, DA, GD in the three triads).

These triads also exist in a scale, which is where Theodore is coming from.
When you start on the first note of a scale you get the following triads - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. are designated by Roman Numerals. I am using "m" to designate minors (there are several conventions).

In the key of C major:
CEG = I (major)
DFA = IIm or ii (minor)
EGB = IIIm or iii (minor)
FAC = IV (major)
GBD = V (major)
ACE = VIm or vi (minor)
BDF = viio = diminished (which we haven't discussed)

So the chord built on the Tonic of first note of a major scale is major as Theodore says. But so is the 4th and 5th. The Tonic is the "home" note, the "home" chord, it is home - so the fact of its chord being major lends a major feel to the whole major scale. If you change the E to Eb you end up with a "minor sound" to the scale, and also a minor triad. The various elements of music all interact and create a living "chemistry" giving music the effect that it has on us.

R
rolfie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I will digest your knowledge , really nice of you keystring and constructive to make use of your time show me and others this.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Didn't have the time to answer yesterday, see that keystring came to the rescue, and I have little to add to his excellent reply.

That table at the end is very useful, which I also brought up in a different form earlier. Major(1,4,5), minor(2,3,6), and diminished(7).

It's also useful to note that the shell of major and minor chords is the same, the first and the fifth, the outer notes. A major chord can be changed to a minor one, by lowering the third, the middle, or inner note, by a half-step.

I like to use still another rule of thumb, when forming major and minor chords. To get a major chord, simply count from the first note four half-steps, then from the middle note, count three half-steps. This counting is reversed in a minor chord, first three half-steps, then four.

Example C major chord, C, one two three four, E, one two three, you have the G, the fifth. C minor chord - C, one two three, Eb, one thwo three four, G. Major = half-steps(4,3). Minor = half-steps(3,4).

If this shortcut is not helpful to you, just ignore it, we all have our own preferences. Anyhow, good to brush up on music theory, every now and then!

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/27/16 11:43 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Rolfie: Please you are killing yourself with all those rules ...

Here is ...

Baa Black Sheep melody in ANY KEY indicated by the scale tones ...
Each note 1 beat unless indicated differently in parenthesis.

1 1 5 5 6 6 5(2)

4 4 3 3 2 2 1(2)

That is it. It is that simple.

Now, if you know the major scale in the key you wish to play in, you just play those numbered tones in that scale and you are "transposing" from one key to another.

You do not need a dozen formulas. You just need to know the scale in that key.

Just play those scale tones within that key.

If you can do that, then the next step is to know the family of chords based on that scale and the chords are equally as simple.

Your assignment is to play Baa Black Sheep in the keys of C, then F, then G, then D using those scale tones as a guide.

When you can do that ... I will move you on to the chords in those keys ...

Last edited by dmd; 05/27/16 04:53 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission