Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This Search is powered by Google
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
125 registered (anamnesis, accordeur, agraffe, AndrewMac, anrpiano, AJB, 23 invisible), 1843 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2543793 - 05/27/16 01:52 PM Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library
Wavesfactory Offline

Hi there,

This is my first post and I'm not sure if I'm posting it in the right subforum, so please, if you're a moderator and you can move it to the right location it would be great smile

I'm Jesús from Wavesfactory. I develop sample libraries for Kontakt and audio plugins.

Back in November, I flew to London to record the Freddie Mercury's personal Fazioli Grand Piano at Metropolis Studio A.
Before actually recording it, I wanted to be sure of what people were expecting from a library like this. Since I'm a huge Freddie's fan and this was the biggest and most ambitious project that I have ever done I wanted to get it just right. So I did a survey with 10 questions, some technical and some non-technical: how many velocity layers, how many mic positions, how many round robins, what do you think that lacks in most piano libraries, what's the best piano library you've heard and so on.
At the end, I had a pretty good image of how to approach the recording. 6 mic positions: ultraclose, close, vintage mono, player perspective, mid and far.
There was a problem with the player perspective so I had to drop that down. 5 mic positions when most piano libraries have only 1 to 3 at the most.
8 velocity layers, checked.
4 round robin with optional neighbour borrowing, checked.

Here you have a preview of me playing the actual piano at the studio.
https://soundcloud.com/wavesfactory/mercury

And this is the library itself after all the editing, programming and scripting.
Note: all mics at 0dB, no effects.
https://soundcloud.com/wavesfactory/mercury-1

Since this project started with lots of feedback from the community, it should continue to be the same until its release. I care a lot about this so feel free to post whatever you feel like.

I'll be posting more technical demos like staccatos and velocity testing on different keys.

The design is done and it's fantastic.
As a side note, this library will be a Kontakt Player one, no need for the full version of Kontakt.

I would like you to send some feedback in order to improve the library to make it just perfect.

Can't wait to read your comments smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2543812 - 05/27/16 02:46 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
phacke Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
Greetings,
Piano seems to lack overtones even when played with moderately firm keystrokes in the middle of the scale, to my ears.

Best wishes-

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014)

#2543824 - 05/27/16 03:11 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: phacke]
Retsacnal Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: 🎹
Originally Posted By phacke
Greetings,
Piano seems to lack overtones even when played with moderately firm keystrokes in the middle of the scale, to my ears.

Best wishes-

Interesting observation. Someone here posted the other day that Faziolis are engineered to produce fewer overtones. I don't know if that's true, but it seems consistent with the above.

#2543830 - 05/27/16 03:30 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: phacke]
Wavesfactory Offline

Greetings,

Best wishes-

Is this behaviour on both demos? In that case, that's how the actual piano sounds and there isn't much I can do.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2543832 - 05/27/16 03:35 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
Retsacnal Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: 🎹
Originally Posted By Wavesfactory
Greetings,

Best wishes-

Is this behaviour on both demos? In that case, that's how the actual piano sounds and there isn't much I can do.

If the "Engineering" observation is accurate, then that's probably the way it should sound.

#2543837 - 05/27/16 03:46 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
Wavesfactory Offline

#2543848 - 05/27/16 04:10 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
pyropaul Offline

Loc: Montreal

There's some strange low level hiss gating on and off in the background, otherwise, it sounds very good.

Paul.

#2543857 - 05/27/16 04:25 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

This piano came to him quite late in his career (obviously since the factory only started producing in 1982 or something and Freddie died in 1991), so it would be interesting to know which recordings Freddie Mercury used it on. I know he left it to the studio after he died, and it's still used there to this day. It would be interesting to hear for a comparison.

It's a cool project, Freddie would be tickled pink I'm sure.

#2543870 - 05/27/16 05:14 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Clarity without noise...I like it!

#2543892 - 05/27/16 06:10 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
DiarmuidD Offline

Regarding the engineering of Fazioli pianos this is a quote from Stephen Hough who had one for a while:

"I'm afraid I sold it a couple of years after buying it. The Fazioli is a beautifully designed instrument with many positive qualities, particularly a long sustain and a powerful, clean treble. But for me, its sound is a little monochrome and lacking in complexity of overtones. It's actually part of the Fazioli design that the sympathetic part of the upper strings can be tuned. This results in an exact, pure note, but for most Romantic repertoire, I want the rich complexity of overtones. Too pure a note can sound synthetic and thin. Bach and much contemporary music works wonderfully on the Fazioli but in Chopin, Debussy, etc. I don't like it at all. I'm much more excited by the newer Yamahas, which I'm seeing. I just made two CDs on one and it was glorious."

Great project by the way. I love Faziolis, thanks for sharing this. I think the early Faziolis have had a few design changes to produce the current range but that's a very foggy memory of something I read once. Freddy's one is quite possibly an early model, it's certainly from the early days of Fazioli production as Joe mentioned.

Edited by DiarmuidD (05/27/16 06:20 PM)

#2543894 - 05/27/16 06:19 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: pyropaul]
Wavesfactory Offline

Originally Posted By pyropaul

There's some strange low level hiss gating on and off in the background, otherwise, it sounds very good.

Paul.

This is actually the sustain pedal releasing the damper on the strings. That's controllable from the GUI (settings menu):

#2543903 - 05/27/16 06:46 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
rtucker55 Offline

Loc: IN, USA
Does the library support Variable Sustain, Sostenuto, and Soft Pedals?

Just noticing the settings UI, very clean and concise. A nice addition being able to control the min & max velocity samples within the library UI. Also appears we can control the overall hammer hardness and attack?

Looking forward to more demos.

Kind regards,
Rick Tucker

#2543904 - 05/27/16 06:46 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: joe80]
Wavesfactory Offline

Originally Posted By joe80
This piano came to him quite late in his career (obviously since the factory only started producing in 1982 or something and Freddie died in 1991), so it would be interesting to know which recordings Freddie Mercury used it on. I know he left it to the studio after he died, and it's still used there to this day. It would be interesting to hear for a comparison.

It's a cool project, Freddie would be tickled pink I'm sure.

In fact, Metropolis Studios opened in 1989. Queen did record "Innuendo" and "Made In Heaven" there. "Headlong" video was recorded there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyaAPsT1LU

Unfortunately, there is not a piano driven song in that albums... except for "It's a Beautiful Day". "My Life Has Been Saved" and "Let Me Live" also feature a piano but I think they come from older recordings from 1988 (The Miracle) and 1982. Who knows, maybe they re-recorded the pianos too and they used this beautiful Fazioli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LcpCTiy-w

#2543910 - 05/27/16 06:53 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: rtucker55]
Wavesfactory Offline

Originally Posted By rtucker55
Does the library support Variable Sustain, Sostenuto, and Soft Pedals?

Just noticing the settings UI, very clean and concise. A nice addition being able to control the min & max velocity samples within the library UI. Also appears we can control the overall hammer hardness and attack?

Looking forward to more demos.

Kind regards,
Rick Tucker

Yes smile

#2543921 - 05/27/16 07:15 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Diarmuid, it would have to be an early model because it would have to have come from the first 5 to 8 years of Fazcoli's production. While I don't know what design changes have taken place with Fazioli over the 30 years they've been producing, I do know that many pianists in the first ten years were brimming with praise for the instrument, Freddie Mercury being just one of many. Actually I didn't know he owned a Fazioli until very recently. His PA told me that he had a Yamaha at home, and of course if you watch any concert of Queen from the 1980s he's using a NYC Steinway that looks like it came through both wars on the front line!

There is a video somewhere of Tatiana Nikolayeva playing a Fazioli in a recital somewhere in Europe, dating from around 1988 (she died in 1992), and Angela Hewitt has used them for at least 25 years now.

I agree with Hough's description of the sound of a Fazioli, but I don't agree that it's unsuited to the romantic repertoire. In a funny way Blüthner and Fazioli share a lot in terms of purity of tone, although they're coming at it from completely different angles, and Bösendorfer too is a very pure sound but perhaps not as crystalline as Fazioli. The thing about the romantic period is that there were so many different kinds of pianos kicking around, from the straight strung Grafs, Erards, Pleyels of the earlier part, to the larger iron-barred Broadwoods (still straight strung), right through to instruments resembling our modern concert grands that I feel (just a gut feeling) that while piano music was probably written with an ideal sound in mind (varying from composer to composer and decade to decade), everyone knew their music would be performed on all sorts of pianos varying in quality.

Anyway sorry to completely derail the thread with that little nugget of guff there. Jesùs, just because the studio opened in '89 we don't know if Freddie bought the piano in '89 or if the piano was made in '89. Is it a full concert grand or is it a smaller grand? I think you've done a fairly good job in capturing the piano, of course you're going to go back and refine it, and I can't tell the exact quality of the tone through my computer's speakers. What keyboard do you find works best with the sample?

I'll go and dig out my old Queen albums now.

#2543931 - 05/27/16 07:33 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: joe80]
Ken Iisaka Offline

Loc: United States
Fazioli concert grands, F278 and F308 have gone through at least 2 major changes in the design of the plate, with countless, continuing improvements and changes.

The biggest change perhaps is between the first and the second generation, in the late 1990s. In the first generation, there were four segments, each with roughly 20-25 notes.

Here's the first generation plate:

http://www.weschenfelder.eu/images/product_images/popup_images/127_5.JPG

Here's the second generation plate:

http://www.fazioli.com/sites/default/files/f278-04.jpg

And the third generation plate:

http://europianosnaples.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/RAN_8614.jpg

The plate until the late 1990s have four segments. I don't know whether the scale design actually changed, but subsequent ones have 5 segments.

Design improvements are being made constantly, and it is fair to say that no two Faziolis are alike. Yet, it is remarkable that they are far more consistent from one to another compared to other manufacturers.

Edited by Ken Iisaka (05/27/16 07:33 PM)

#2543932 - 05/27/16 07:38 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
DiarmuidD Offline

Thanks for that Ken, that's very interesting.

#2543933 - 05/27/16 08:03 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: joe80]
Wavesfactory Offline

Jesús, just because the studio opened in '89 we don't know if Freddie bought the piano in '89 or if the piano was made in '89. Is it a full concert grand or is it a smaller grand?

What I heard (not 100% sure) is that the studio needed a grand piano and, since they had Freddie Mercury there, they asked him what piano did he want. And he said that one in particular, so he hand picked it. But you're right, we don't know if it was older.
It's a Fazioli F228.

#2543936 - 05/27/16 08:23 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jesús, just because the studio opened in '89 we don't know if Freddie bought the piano in '89 or if the piano was made in '89. Is it a full concert grand or is it a smaller grand?

What I heard (not 100% sure) is that the studio needed a grand piano and, since they had Freddie Mercury there, they asked him what piano did he want. And he said that one in particular, so he hand picked it. But you're right, we don't know if it was older.
It's a Fazioli F228.

Did Freddie actually buy the piano? Or did the studio buy it? Good choice though!

Diarmuid, I meant to ask you, are you a recording engineer?

#2544012 - 05/28/16 05:15 AM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: joe80]
Wavesfactory Offline

Did Freddie actually buy the piano? Or did the studio buy it? Good choice though!

No idea... sorry!

By the way, here I leave you two velocity tests. The first one was done yesterday and the feedback was that, although the volume increases, you can still definitely hear how the velocity layers change abruptly.
https://soundcloud.com/wavesfactory/mercury-velocitytest

Now, I've introduced a seamlessly morph filter between the velocity layers so you shouldn't notice where the edges are. Does this sound better to you?
https://soundcloud.com/wavesfactory/velocity-test-2

#2544065 - 05/28/16 10:10 AM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: joe80]
DiarmuidD Offline

It's a Fazioli F228.

I used to do some Joe, it was live concerts mostly, but it's been a while now. Too much lugging of equipment and late night finishes smile

#2544219 - 05/28/16 04:33 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: DiarmuidD]
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By DiarmuidD

It's a Fazioli F228.

I used to do some Joe, it was live concerts mostly, but it's been a while now. Too much lugging of equipment and late night finishes smile

But never for Freddie Mercury? LOL!

#2544224 - 05/28/16 04:45 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In fact, Metropolis Studios opened in 1989. Queen did record "Innuendo" and "Made In Heaven" there. "Headlong" video was recorded there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyaAPsT1LU

Good song, but I forgot how frail he looks on this frown

#2544226 - 05/28/16 04:53 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: joe80]
DiarmuidD Offline

It's a Fazioli F228.

But never for Freddie Mercury? LOL!

I never made it that big! Think more Wigmore Hall and less Wembley.

Oh, I took Brian May's ticket once when I worked in the Coronet cinema as a student, does that count? Lol wink

Edited by DiarmuidD (05/28/16 05:06 PM)

#2544237 - 05/28/16 05:25 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: DiarmuidD]
oldmancoyote Offline

Loc: Switzerland

I for one prefer the type of music played in Wigmore Hall (or Bechstein Hall, as it was originally) to what is normally heard at Wembley - and I don't mean just the football choruses. With all due respect to Freddie and Queen (who weren't above quoting Shostakovich or Mascagni!).

Edited by oldmancoyote (05/28/16 05:26 PM)

#2544244 - 05/28/16 05:40 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: oldmancoyote]
DiarmuidD Offline

Originally Posted By oldmancoyote

I for one prefer the type of music played in Wigmore Hall (or Bechstein Hall, as it was originally) to what is normally heard at Wembley - and I don't mean just the football choruses. With all due respect to Freddie and Queen (who weren't above quoting Shostakovich or Mascagni!).

Well me too to be honest, but I would have jumped at the chance to to record Queen (not that I was ever even close to that league of gig). My brother was a sound engineer in the pop/rock industry though, he was involved in quite a few big albums and was probably the reason I got interested. He has a few stories to tell too.

#2544256 - 05/28/16 06:15 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I must admit that I prefer the type of music in the Wigmore to that heard at Wembley, but I do recall an interview with Freddie where he was asked if he socialised with the other members of Queen. He said something like "No, no, dear, I like to go to the Opera and the Ballet, but they just want to go and hear boring rock concerts"

Freddie knew full well who he was quoting and wasn't afraid to do so. But then, music is full of quotes.

#2544259 - 05/28/16 06:23 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I can tell you that friends of my parents used to live near Brian May, and their garden looked on to his garden. One day about 30 to 35 years ago, Freddie was round at a party, and was there with his partner. Freddie was seen being affectionate with his partner and noticed that my parents friends saw this through their window.

About half an hour later, their doorbell rang and it was Freddie, and he said "obviously you've seen me with my partner, and I really don't want this leaked to the press, I'm not going to pay you any money but why don't you come and join us at the party?", and so they went to the party and got to know Queen quite well. Freddie used to pop around for tea and biscuits, and according to my parents friends, was not at all what you'd expect when you'd seen him on stage. Apparently he was just a normal bloke who liked tea and biscuits, and apart from being incredibly rich and famous, had all the same conversations as the rest of us. A couple of years before he died he just stopped going (for reasons we now know), but he still sent signed records as they were released.

#2544264 - 05/28/16 06:35 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
DiarmuidD Offline

He died far too young. A great talent and he sounds pretty humble from your story.

#2544280 - 05/28/16 07:08 PM Re: Freddie Mercury's Fazioli - Sample library [Re: Wavesfactory]
TheodorN Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sweden
Excellent sound, will definitely consider getting this virtual piano, when it comes out. You could hardly have chosen a more interesting piano to sample. Joe80, great story.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Piano Summit 2017!
Piano Summit 2017!
Check out the itineraries!
Click for Details
Piano Summit 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital Piano replacement
by tomt1990
02/20/17 09:18 AM
Roland RD-2000 Now Available in OZ!
by brooster
02/20/17 09:08 AM
what scale is this?
by iamanders
02/20/17 07:28 AM
Does the Kawai CS-11 have a soft-close lid?
by Giin
02/20/17 02:04 AM
April 1, I'm performing in Carnegie Hall (not as a pianist)
by Orange Soda King
02/19/17 10:32 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,729 Registered Members
44 Forums
178,599 Topics
2,600,106 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission