2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PhilzPiano
39. JoBert - Gnossienne No. 3

A terrific piece. Satie is always enchanting - I loved your performance. I think with your piano you can short cut the recording process by plugging a memory stick into the USB socket and telling it to record directly to MP3. But only if you remember to plug the stick in before playing and recording!

Thanks for your feedback. I did record directly to a USB stick, but in WAV format, not MP3. I prefer WAV for recording because then I have the original recording in a lossless format file that I can archive and use as a basis for all kinds of other things. For example I usually do some minor post processing (like cutting off silence at the end, adding a second of silence at the beginning, normalizing the volume). I also convert the lossless WAV (plus an image) into an MPEG YouTube video, etc. All this is better to do with the original WAV, which is of course easily converted to MP3, if I should need a file in that format, for some reason (like the ABF recitals).

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Late start for me, stuff in the way at the moment and being a busy bee.

Thanks for all those listening to my piece, I'll comment on that later. so I'll set the ball rolling with my first random pick and very impressive entry

f3r ( Mark )

Nocturne No.5 in B flat Major (Leschetizky version)

Only sort of vaguely knew to piece to hear, ( not to play, beyond me ) but it sounded very good with a very nice touch and out of this word for 8 months. great great Job thumb .

Dare I say I am not the biggest fan of the Kawai sound engine in the CA 17/67/97 I tried, but you make it sound nice and mellow and it sounds pleasant in this piece , and in several performances by others I heard at times it sounds nice too, but often I don't like it so much in other demos/perfomances. Personally I just couldn't get on with it twice I tried it, sucks to be me, but you may convert me one day yet laugh

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 05/24/16 04:03 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Impressive recital, and I‘ve discovered composers that I now would want to know more about i.e. Satie?.
Reading in the thread about Mozart, I really like his compositions, which many seem to be a orchestral singing. emotive .
The subject about opera, well maybe I could like a more modern one, but don’t know.
I do like the history of them , - and “Phantom” which is more popish.
Anyway thanks to anyone who gave me feedback , my piece was done quickly- but it’s a rock soft ballad, and I thought it’d work as a recital piece .
Also as far as the recital submits , it was impressive and unique to hear original compositions, so well composed -done .

01. wouter79 - Alla Turca, Rondeau from sonata no.11 K331 (1783) Greatly executed dynamics ,good recording also. Very well played enjoyable listen, really good sound.

02. INBoston - Waltz Am (posth.) quite a beautiful piece and the delicate parts are played so very well, nice to listen. Sorry, I don’t have advice ,seems like it’s not needed.

03. MarieJ - High Heels sounds like a familiar piece, maybe. Very well played and somewhat evoking a sad feeling- or at least contemplative nostalgia. The playing and recording was fine, thru pianoteq (or not). I had the same experience with “renewal” near my home, actually next door in the winter a few years ago- and I’d played piano or practiced - Morning prayer by Tchaikovsky- I noticed the workers looking at my home often from the playing (- I hope it was that reason ). they didn’t expect Classical music. Anyway well done.

04. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Arabesque No 1 I love this song, the cascades of falling tones and rising arpeggios are impressively played.

05. peterws - 4 Notes, 4 Chords! Wow, impressive impromptu- I really liked the piece and the feel of the classic and modern sound- the extended ending that faded off was fitting .

06. torquenale (Alessandra) - Wintertime II love the authentic piano sound- well played, really felt the piano when you got into the piece…..
p.s. –The thunder sounded exactly at the right time .!!! It did add to it as did the pounding rain at the last seconds of recording, Cool imagery when listening.

07. AZ_Astro - Gnossienne No. 4 Sounds professionally played, it is haunting,… and brings imagery to mind of rubies , a dark atmosphere of a piano chamber, ( I could go on and on….but won’t –well, maybe a little, ….seems to be a piece that would go well with a modern gothic plotline …) ..nicely executed and emotive. For me,- quite a listening experience. You stated you weren’t happy with the recording but not… why?
Listened a few times.

08. MeganR (Megan) - Sonatina in C, First Movement Allegretto Love authentic piano , and well played. Seemed to me there should be a more staccato touch but it was great. Nice listen and recording.

09. UnderConstruction - Sonata 14 A true reverb and warm sound. The playing was flowing and smooth. Good dynamics … Enjoyable listen

10. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Nocturne in E minor Op 72 No 1 Very nicely played and the last minute of the piece/recording is very moving and sweet, emotionally. Beautiful to listen to. Great piano—sound.

11. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G minor, G Major, D minor Well played nice authentic piano sound.. Enjoyable listen.

12. Riddler (Ed) - Crystal Silence Loved the piece, this kind of jazz makes me wish there were piano lounge bars or at least more of them. Very good piano sound and playing. Reminds me of Dave Grusin’s music

13. Newbert - The Nearness of You Awesome, -the piano playing and background percussion was coordinated/combined well.

14. Inlanding - Glen - Prelude E minor Op 28 No 4 The piano was warm , I actually thought (unlike what you said )near the end the block chords should be a given lighter touch, but great playing and sound overall.

15. Ganddalf - Nocturne B-major- articulate playing , and quite moving … …impressive that it is an original composition. I’m learning music analysis and am thankful you posted a link to the composition with notes. Great work.

16. Peyton - The Hours Very well done , I see why or hear why you can’t wait to get to the middle of the piece , the percussive forte, is a “feeling” part.

17. ElaineAllegro - Prelude & Fugue III: C# Major, BWV 848 Like wow!!! Impressive playing and movement…just right!!!

18. Medden (Simon) - Nuvole Bianche Beautifully played ….moving piece.

19. Brian Moore - Handel, Sarabande in D minor Authenitec piano sound , never heard this piece…short moving piece. Good touch on the piano …

20. chris shendo - Opus 15 no.1 - Of Foreign Lands and People I really like your playing with this piece and the smooth ness of tempo.
The accented dynamics.. Nice listen

21. Copper - Goodnight Moon Articulate playing sounds like slow jazz genre, no technical feedback, but the dynamics and pauses were quite effective in making a mood.

22. that'sRich - Rosemary Impressive piano and playing… sort of a lonely mood sound to the melody in the beginning, but dramatic as it moves on and then back to the same …- well played to evoke the feeling .
Nice listen

23. Tubbie0075 - Prelude No. 20, Op 28 Way ccol, nice playing and dynamics… was eager to hear all of it but what I heard I liked.

24. earlofmar - Prelude BWV 927 nice sorta stacotoo or dainty feel to this , enjoyed listening.

25. dynamobt/Marilyn - Danza de la moza denosa Nice ambient sound to this and played well, , seems almost like a backdrop to a movie with the dynamics that end a passionate action..

26. outo - Prelude Op. 5-3 Very “ “rich” warm piano sound and playing . Almost like a unchained ,elody …well played.

27. Erik BerikHerik - Sensation Rag - Joseph Lamb (arr. by Scott Joplin) no doubt well played and rhythmic tapper….ta da , enjoyed the piece.

28. Jen Weir - Patterns in the Ivy Nicely done, different kind of movement and hard to describe the feeling it evokes , but enjoyed the listen.

29. Sand Tiger - Capistrano Suite Congrats on a original composition-well played and delicate piece that moves into dynamics and sections that are emotive.

30. CarlosCC - Brothers Great sound recording and key touch-dynamics, you seem have that skill down well, Played very emotively heard like a story of a gentle longing.

31. Inkwolf - Cruella DeVil Nice piece, coulda been froma Broadway piece it seems,- well played.

32. Monica K. - The Water Diviner Love the authentic piano sound and harmony in this piece in the intro. Also the solid sound of the melody , it is very well played. The dramatic pass at 2:3- min is awesome as it’s length in total was quite a hurdle. Nice listen

33. jotur/Cathy Turner - Well Hall Well quite a new dance style for me, very gentle, it would seem. Well played.

34. Cat_W (Katharina Wittfeld) - Awakening (Erwachen) Beautiful piece, maybe awakening to life ..huh? Still waiting form mine. LOL
Anyway you played crescendos well and overall very dramatic in dynamics

35. SwissMS/Doris - Shui Cao Wu (Dance of the Watergrass)) Wow! how delicate and what a pretty piece your key touch is fine, well played and nice to listen .

36. joangolfing - Prelude BWV 928 (F Major) Well played but maybe an increased tempo? Good otuch and steady as is Anyway I liked this.

37. sinophilia - Karma Nice piano sound and well played.

38. PikaPianist - Humoresque Op.101, No.7 almost a stocaato touch subtle until the dramtic end theme/ period . Good playing .

39. JoBert - Gnossienne No. 3 Very well done as is above, and emotive.

40. Piano Primo 1 - Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me (ME) a little too thin and easy but the strings worked…..

41. _silvia_ - Sweet Reverie, Op 39, 21 Impressively played the dynamics and ouch made the piece.

42. lyricmudra - Adagio, Concerto No. 3 in D Minor for Solo Keyboard, BWV 974 Contemplative and nicely played …. Mice harmony in this.

43. Ken. - Straight No Chaser way cool piano sound almost honky tonk, and well played.

44. Sam S - The Great Smoky Mountains wow, well played ,,,nice dynamics.

45. bSharp[C]yclist (Dan) - The Little Beggar - Op. 123, No. 2 - Gretchaninoff Enjoyed the playing and piece , well done.

46. Khopin - Nocturne E Flat Mayor - Op9 No. 2 Impresive dynamics that added to this popular piece the gentle (extended) trills and dynamics were emotive seems that some notes were flatted or was it a type of different piano key tuning?. Nice listen

47. Kenan - Op 3 No 2 (3 pages.) dramtic beginning, and very good choice for a piece. Enjoyed listening, I’m sure you’d do well with
any piece you put effort into. The ending glissando- arpeggio? was , dramatic and awesome. And – didn’t hear the mistakes , but not really familiar with it the piece.

48. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes Well played nice old tune . the piano gives it a jazz feel .

49. Schubertian - In a Landscape Different , never heard this , seems to move in a non tonal way or almost wind chimish.
Cool piece.

50. Philzpiano - Metamorphosis 1 Another different piece, well played and nice bassline anyway enjoyed the listen .

51. raaubucho - Village Dance Definitely as steady tempo. Well played .

52. f3r (Mark) - Nocturne No.5 in B flat Major (Leschetizky version) quite a beautiful piece. Well played and dynamic touch well executed The ascending chords were played nicely instead of just hammered out… Enjoyed the listen

53. noobpianist90 - Sonatina Op. 36 No. 1 Nice otuch and well played. Impressive.

54. blackjack1777 - Whistling Away the Dark Almost like a soundtrack , it was well played and I enjoyed listening , as the dynamics really gave it more meaning. Seems suited for someone in thought, as a piece .

55. Alexander borro - One For The Reaper Definitaly bass-y and somewhat “somber dark” Well played nad enjoyed the listen .

56. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Scherzo op.31 B flat minor Impressive piano sound , ahh it is something that the running chords and acccomp are so defined and played so well. Impressive .

57. ajames - Jellybean Blues Well who doesn’t like beans? jelly that is…. Cool piece jazz-honky tonk. Well Done- I liked this .

58. Edtek22 (Ed Jensen) - I Could Write a Book Slow and sontemplative piano statement , well played and enjoyable to listen to .

59. Greener / Jeff - Db Nocturne Il iekd that authentic piano sound and you playing was dynamic and fine,. A enjoyable listen

So onto the next # 43.…….

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
31. Inkwolf - Cruella deVil Great feel! You have that jazzy style down well, very with it smile

32. Monica K. - Water Diviner Wow, love that big bass! Well done going back and forth between themes. Your musicality gets better every time.

40. Piano Primo - Don't let the sun Well played, and a great example of how sophisticated an "easy" piece can be. It takes some talent and work to do that, and you succeeded.

43. Ken - Straight, No Chaser I can tell from listening to this my accents are still too wimpy. Great rhythm here.

44. Sam S - Great Smoky Mountains Nice piece of music. Thanks for the explanation of how you memorized it. I've never done it without playing from the sheet music, but it reminds me of a method I read about in Music for the Joy of It where someone "maps" a piece of music - looks at it, then draws a "map" of what they've seen/heard in their mind's ear, then plays from the map. And more detail is added each time. I bet the piece comes fairly naturally after working thru it that way, since so many senses are used, and they all make the piece their own, rather than something "out there" on a piece of paper. Very nice.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the comments on my piece "Brothers". It's always a special moment to read what you wrote about my playing thumb

Meanwhile, here are some more comments:

25. dynamobt/Marilyn - Danza de la moza denosa - One week, one take? This is really beautiful Marilyn, and thanks for presenting Ginastera to us - not too usual here at ABF. This theme is somehow sad, but I think this is just what the piece is about. You kept the mood along the entire piece. Congratulations!

06. torquenale (Alessandra) - Wintertime II - Alessandra, I think this is your first Schumann piece right? Well, I think you have to play more Schumann because I you're totally aligned with the composer and this is just very very good. Congratulations! btw, I loved the thunder effect smile !!!!

58. Edtek22 (Ed Jensen) - I Could Write a Book - Ed, I love musicals and I know that this team wrote hundred of songs in the XX century. So, It's always a joy to listen this kind of music. Your playing is so gentle and "flown" that I'm willing to try this genre someday. Thanks for sharing.

37. sinophilia - Karma - Tricky piece for sure! With lots of fine details in both hands. That's not my kind of music, but I think you did a wonderful job. Melanie would applaud!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
34. Cat_W (Katharina Wittfeld) - Awakening (Erwachen) - What a lovely piece Katharina. I love this kind of music, where there is a well defined contrast between the bass and melody line - and both supporting each other. It's easy to see how much you love this, because you play it with your heart. Very very good!

51. raaubucho - Village Dance - Ralph, I can see some great progress here. You're more confident, and you're starting to be able to point out where you have to improve - which is a sign of maturity IMO -. I think this is just great. congratulations and keep the good work. thumb

09. UnderConstruction - Sonata 14 - Oh, good stuff here. I love Sonata 14 and I never get tired of listening it. Your playing is very very good; I cant do a technical evaluation but I know what I like, and I like this very much. Love to see your hands jumping around the keys in the 3rd movement - a real show! Thanks for sharing thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm also late to the party. I've been so busy and now I'm incredibly tired, so that I try to avoid computer time outside work.
The online streaming player allowed me to listen while working... a really impressive recital!!

I hope I will be able to comment single pieces in the next few weeks smile

For the moment I'd like to thanks all the people who listened to my submission and kindly commented: INBoston, UnderCostruction, SwissMS, casinitaly, JoBert, Riddler, peterws, MeganR, Monica K., MarieJ, Medden, kris shendo, Greener, PhilzPiano, outo, Sam S, piano_primo_1, CarlosCC.

Greener: Jeff, I would like to listen to your version of the Bach prelude!

Originally Posted by outo

06. torquenale (Alessandra) - Wintertime II
Ah, Schumann...I am slowly beginning to recover from the themed recital. His music is fine as long as I don't have to play it smile
A very difficult piece with many tempo and dynamic changes. As so often in Schumann, the music needs to paint pictures. Since the piece is so complicated some parts still sounded a bit more like playing the notes rather than presenting winter images, but this is understandable and it's really impressive already as it is!

You are right, the piece was not completely polished yet; my intention was to record lately a better version, but I fell sick and couldn't.
I agree with you: Schumann music is great when somebody else play it laugh
Even the Album for the Young is so tricky, and this piece took me ages!
My teacher insist that I need to learn some Schumann, that it is almost as necessary as Bach is.
Last Saturday I've played the same piece during the recital, and I hope I'll not get another Schumann for homework during summer!

Originally Posted by CarlosCC

06. torquenale (Alessandra) - Wintertime II - Alessandra, I think this is your first Schumann piece right? Well, I think you have to play more Schumann because I you're totally aligned with the composer and this is just very very good. Congratulations! btw, I loved the thunder effect smile !!!!

Ah ah Carlos, you did not listen to the Schumann themed recital, where I submitted a piece! laugh
I think this is my fifth piece from the Album for the Young, and I need a break!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
01. wouter79 - Alla Turca, Rondeau from sonata no.11 K331 (1783)

Very good performance! This sonata movement is technically difficult and even more challenging when comes to making music out of it. It is obvious to me that you have spent a lot of tedious work with it. I enjoyed your performance.

02. INBoston - Waltz Am (posth.)

A very thoughtful performance of this little gem! I was highly impressed by your performance, particularly the way you shaped the embellishments. It sounded professional to me.

03. MarieJ - High Heels

Relaxing music to listen to! I enjoyed your performance. Thanks for sharing!

04. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Arabesque No 1

The overall impression of your performance was very good, and I didn’t feel that you gave too little colour to the music. I enjoyed your interpretation very much.

05. peterws - 4 Notes, 4 Chords!

Actually very fascinating music with many fine details! You play very well and your music is very nice to listen to.

I was absolutely not bothered by lack of voicing in your performance, but very much enjoyed listening to it.

07. AZ_Astro - Gnossienne No. 4

I have to admit that my knowledge of the Gnossiennes is very limited, but I’m always captured by their special mood. I think you should be highly satisfied by your performance.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G

10 Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Nocturne in E minor Op 72 No 1
I always enjoy listening to your playing, Ellen. To me this is a hauntingly gorgeous piece. And beautifully performed.

11 CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G minor, G Major, D minor
Nice execution with this Cheryl. Bach can be fabulous fun. The process of getting to that point isn't always as much fun. Sounds like you've conquered most of the toughest of it and entering the fun stage. Good for you and nice playing.

12 Riddler (Ed) - Crystal Silence
I'd never given much notice to this composer. This is lovely though and nice contrast. Cool style and fine playing, Ed. Thanks.

13 Newbert - Hoagy Carmichael and Ned Washington
This immediately brought back very great memories for me. I used to play this on Vibes with Dad on piano and occasionally even with his trio. Wow, those were some fun musical times. Pleasant swing and full sound in this. Nicely done.

14 Inlanding - Glen - Prelude E minor Op 28 No 4
A beautiful piece, Glen that I never tire of listening to. In fact, it still often brings tears to my eyes as soon as I hear it. Your performance had this effect on me. Excellently played of a very tough piece to get just right. Fabulous, really.

15 Ganddalf - Nocturne B-major
Impressive composition and beautiful playing, Inge. Top shelf.

16 Peyton - The Hours
Nice video, Peyton. I see what you may mean with this composer. Some lovely changes in this and the type of composition that I know can grow on you as many similar have done with me. Lovely playing and very well presented.

17 ElaineAllegro - Prelude & Fugue III: C# Major, BWV 848
Love the voices in this. Really good Elaine.

18 Medden (Simon) - Nuvole Bianche
This is a very enjoyable listen, Simon for which you'll always have an appreciative audience. You can never go much wrong with that. Fine delivery, nicely done.

19 Brian Moore - Handel, Sarabande in D minor

Very authentic piano sound. A very little noise but overall I really like it. A nice respite and very well done.

20 chris shendo - Opus 15 no.1 - Of Foreign Lands and People

A fabulous work that as with many, I was first introduced to here. Fine performance of it.

OK, having fun, need to go paint the porch now. Back later.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

41. _silvia_ - Sweet Reverie, Op 39, 21: Congratulations on your AB Recital debut! thumb I think you play extremely impressively for somebody with only 15 months of piano. In particular, you give this piece a nice relaxed, light touch that is hard for most people relatively new to piano to master.

42. lyricmudra - Adagio, Concerto No. 3 in D Minor for Solo Keyboard, BWV 974: I started listening to this before I read your description, and my initial impression was “hey, this has such a prettier melody than most Bach pieces!” Then, of course, I discovered that Bach only transcribed this work, rather than composed it. laugh Loved your video and watching you pull those trills off so effortlessly.

43. Ken. - Straight No Chaser: Love this take-no-prisoners jaunty jazz piece; my only complaint is that it was too short.

44. Sam S - The Great Smoky Mountains: What a creative exercise! One that would give me conniptions!! But it sounds like a marvelous solution to the problem of relying on (unreliable) muscle memory. It sounds like a fun piece to play, too, with all those great big booming chords and then delicate arpeggios.

45. bSharp[C]yclist (Dan) - The Little Beggar - Op. 123, No. 2 - Gretchaninoff: Congratulations on your AB forum recital debut! I thought this was an impressive effort given only five months of piano lesson. I’m not familiar with this composer, but I like the playful air you play this with.

46. Khopin - Nocturne E Flat Mayor - Op9 No. 2: A beautiful performance, *especially* the amazing trill and run section at the 3:34 mark.

47. Kenan - Op 3 No 2 (3 pages.): Maybe it was only three pages, but it was an impressive three pages. wow Would love to see a video of you playing this. smile

48. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: You have such a talent for playing by ear; I always love to hear your arrangements, especially great standards like this song. smile

49. Schubertian - In a Landscape: What an oddly mesmerizing, dreamy piece! I was especially drawn to the deep bass notes starting around the 6:24 mark. I’ve played long, quiet pieces like that before so I understand fully well how difficult it is to pull them off without dropped notes and the like. I’m going to add your recording of this to my “meditation” playlist.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
my first couple of reviews. More to come!

01. wouter79 - Alla Turca, Rondeau from sonata no.11 K331 (1783)
Well done. You played this hard piece elegantly and light. Thanks for some Mozart!

02. INBoston - Waltz Am (posth.)
INBoston, this is amazing. this performance is top notch. You got the timing axactly right, with sparkling ornaments. What a gem this piece is, it's so pure. It's one of Chopins later waltzes which makes me think why he wrote it and for whom and why it was not published. Was he doodling around?
Thank you for submitting!

03. MarieJ - High Heels
Thanks for the backing story. It sounds you went through a lot getting this piece recorded! And that you wanted to submit this piece so badly. I think you did a great job.
I wonder, however, why it's called "high heels". It's in a minor key, so maybe Einaudi feels sad for all the women walking on high heels? wink

04. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Arabesque No 1
Beautiful Debussy. I enjoyed it very much and makes me want to try some too. I think you captured the mood of the piece very well. It's a keeper. But I know what you mean when saying you never get it right. It's in your head the way you want it to sound and the fingers don't do it!
Please don't normalize, it kills the dynamics like you said. If you use the amplify function in audacity it amplifies the whole recording safely without messing with the recording.

05. peterws - 4 Notes, 4 Chords!
Nice playing Peter! Nice use of dynamics with those notes. I cannot do these things at all. Thanks for submitting!

The thunder did actually add to the experience. smile Thank you for submitting some Schumann. I enjoyed it.

07. AZ_Astro - Gnossienne No. 4
Those pieces of Satie are so moody. They are great to create an atmosphere which is instant. As soon as the first notes are played it's there.
Well played and it seems you understand what Satie is aiming for.

08. MeganR (Megan) - Sonatina in C, First Movement Allegretto
Well played. With a good touch and even playing. Those runs up and down are hard to play even and you managed that really good.
Would like to hear the other movements as well!

09. UnderConstruction - Sonata 14
Well done! You are courageous in tackling this piece. The first movement is of course the one that everybody knows. In my opinion this movement is often played to slowly and to dreamy (with lots of rubato and romantic interpretation). Also it is meant to be played with the sustain pedal down without lifting. That is possible on an old forte piano since the sustain on those is a lot less then the modern pianos. But on a grand it is possible to 'half' pedal it. Then it is really important to keep the triplets and the bass extremely soft. That would also be my comment on this first movement, play those triplets really soft.
I think you played the second movement really well.
The third is such a beast and you managed to play this. I never dared to try it even, it's so demanding! The flubs don't matter.
I would keep at this movement. Play slowly and keep concentrated on the voicing of the various accompaniments, runs, arpeggios, etc. You get the piece that's for sure.
Thanks for going with the whole sonata, it's a big task and I'm impressed.

Last edited by chopinoholic; 05/27/16 04:28 AM. Reason: typo

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I would like to thank all the members that commented on my piece, you're all too kind, as usual! I even got a comment by the composer herself on Youtube blush

This recital seems particularly full of modern/contemporary/non classical pieces, and I must say that I found it even more interesting than previous ones. I won't give specific comments, but I was utterly impressed by the outstanding quality of several submissions (concert pianist-like!). And of course by beginners with only a few time at the keyboard, who managed to put together recordings that I can only dream about, after four years.

Congratulations everybody!

50. Philzpiano - Metamorphosis 1: I’ve played this piece before, and I know fully well how it’s much more difficult than it sounds... the stretches in the left hand, the dynamics, etc. You did an excellent job playing this, especially modulating the dynamics in the right hand chords.

51. raaubucho - Village Dance: Congratulations on your first AB Forum recital piece! I didn’t perceive any “struggles” with the tempo; you sounded very steady to me. This was a fun jaunty little piece.

52. f3r (Mark) - Nocturne No.5 in B flat Major (Leschetizky version): I wasn’t familiar with this piece or composer, but I liked it a lot... very lush and romantic. Nice job!

53. noobpianist90 - Sonatina Op. 36 No. 1: I’m beginning to think that Clementi is every bit as hard as Bach! laugh Nicely played with a light, delicate touch.

54. blackjack1777 - Whistling Away the Dark: Good job of varying the dynamics in this piece. I enjoyed listening! p.s. I don’t think I could get tired of listening to Mancini. smile

55. Alexander borro - One For The Reaper: Sometimes the “simple” pieces are the most emotionally moving. Love this!

56. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Scherzo op.31 B flat minor: A stunning performance! 22 pages!! And those were 22 very HARD pages!! This is a recording to be proud of, all your excuses notwithstanding.

57. ajames - Jellybean Blues: This is a fun blues piece, but way too short... you had just gotten me to tapping my toes when it ended!

58. Edtek22 (Ed Jensen) - I Could Write a Book: A pretty standard, indeed, played very prettily. You sound ready for the cocktail lounge circuit!

59. Greener / Jeff - Db Nocturne: It sounds to me like you have this very difficult piece in pretty good shape so far... no need to apologize. I particularly liked the delicate high-note runs toward the end.

Well, that closes the books on another wonderful recital! I’d like to take the opportunity to thank everybody who listened to and commented on my piece. I appreciate your feedback! smile

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
A belated multiple 'thank you'! First to Piano World for hosting the Adult Beginners Forum - what an inspiring and helpful place to visit. Next to the wonderful, tireless organisers who do so much behind the scenes to keep these Recitals available for us to enjoy - your work is greatly appreciated. And then to the many fellow Adult Beginners who took time to comment on my submission, and who were so positive and generous in what they wrote: INBoston, UnderConstruction, SwissMS, Casinitaly, JoBert, Riddler, Peterws, bSharp[C]yclist, MeganR, Monica K, Cat_W, AZ_Astro, Medden, kris shendo, Greener, PhilzPiano, Sam S, Peyton, CarlosCC, piano_primo_1, Ganddalf, chopinoholic. I value, and file away, every one of your encouraging comments.

Some individual responses: INBoston, you were correct about the ending chord. I sort of skipped the fermata in the surge of relief that I hadn’t messed up the final bar!

bSharp[C]yclist, apart from playing around with the velocity curve I really haven’t spent much time tweaking Pianoteq. There are already so many variations for each instrument that I’ll have fun for a long time yet, trying them all out.

Monica K - ‘clearly an Einaudi soul-mate’: coming from my role model, that is a truly treasured comment.

CarlosCC, you’re setting the bar SO high for me - but your superb interpretation of Einaudi’s music sets the bar impossibly high for all of us. (If you only knew how much I’ve immersed myself in his music over the last 4+ years, you’d expect a little of his ‘mood’ to rub off. And if you knew how many times I’ve tried to record each submission, you’d expect to see some improvement.) By the way, I’d be the last person to offer advice about Pianoteq, being probably the least experienced user in the whole history of Piano World, but if I can help in any way … I kept it simple with the basic ‘Stage’ version, but after trying the Model B demo I couldn’t resist it adding it. It *is* a super sound!

chopinoholic, I’ve wondered exactly the same thing about the title of my piece. There’s got to be a story there!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
A few more small comments of appreciation from me today. Appreciation of course is global but I'll not complete commenting on every entry of this recital. I think there is and could/should be benefit and something to be said and rewarded for being earlier in the line up. I was dead last this time, yet still pleasantly surprised to receive so much positive recognition. It is great and I'm always pleased when people have taken the time to listen. Thank you.

30 CarlosCC – Brother

As I grew up learning more and more short pieces, I was always amazed by players that could seemingly go on indefinitely. I'm comfortable to be able to do this now, but it has taken me long time. You've done extremely well in this 6.5 years of being self taught. Good for you. Have a fabulous time at the EPP my friend. As you know, not this time for me, but will see you at another one …

31 Inkwolf - Cruella DeVil
You bring a nice swing to this. You'll do fine. Thanks.

32 Monica K. - The Water Diviner
I am impressed by the notoriety of this composer and compassion of his fans. Your unique interpretation fits beautifully for this composer. Fine playing, Thank you.

33 jotur/Cathy Turner – Well Hall

Fun and pleasant listening to this. Thank you for being here, nice seeing you and Thank you for sharing.

34 Cat_W (Katharina Wittfeld) - Awakening (Erwachen)
Very nice. There is a lot to this you've handled very well. It's pretty, Thanks.

35 SwissMS/Doris - Shui Cao Wu (Dance of the Watergrass))

Beautiful. Very good tone control I get from this and a lovely work I'd never heard before. I get a lot of that from the ABF and PW and have gained so much as a result. Really well played. Have great time at EPP and hope to see you again at another.

K
K
My next bunch of responses to a wonderful recital (my first):

35. SwissMS/Doris - Shui Cao Wu (Dance of the Watergrass)) Beautiful, evocative - flows like water as in the title! Lovely central emerging LH melody and interesting major/minor contrasts. Well done.

36. joangolfing - Prelude BWV 928 (F Major) This is an attractive piece played confidently. I think you did well to keep the tempo steady.

37. sinophilia - Karma I can hear what you mean about LH/RH balance but think you did a great job. It flowed well and I enjoyed listening to this piece.

38. PikaPianist - Humoresque Op.101, No.7 How did you get such crisp staccatos? Astonishingly ‘sharp’ bounce! Perfect playing.

39. JoBert - Gnossienne No. 3 Beautifully played. Fantastic rubato, so right for Satie and this Gnossienne in particular, which is my favourite. Brought tears to my eyes.

40. Piano Primo 1 - Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me A dreamy take on one of my favourite Elton John songs. Thank you!

41. _silvia_ - Sweet Reverie, Op 39, 21 And this WAS sweet. LH melody emerges nicely. Many thanks, enjoyable listening.

42. lyricmudra - Adagio, Concerto No. 3 in D Minor for Solo Keyboard, BWV 974 Beautifully controlled. Lovely trills, hauntingly plaintive. A real treat. Thank you.

43. Ken. - Straight No Chaser Good use of robbed timing, great listening, Ken.

44. Sam S - The Great Smoky Mountains Big sound! I like your explanation / recipe for memorization. I might try something similar in my next recital!

45. bSharp[C]yclist (Dan) - The Little Beggar - Op. 123, No. 2 - Gretchaninoff This lovely little piece has embedded itself in my mind, and it’s beautifully played, Dan! Thank you very much.

K
K
My last batch of responses follows: (Many thanks to all for the feedback I’ve received - a great help and an encouragement for future recitals!)

46. Khopin - Nocturne E Flat Mayor - Op9 No. 2 Confidently played. Good build up to the final crescendo. I enjoyed listening to this lovely Nocturne.

47. Kenan - Op 3 No 2 (3 pages.) Riddled with WHAT mistakes? You brought out the brooding quality of this exciting piece very well. Bravo! And I hope you enjoyed the wedding.

48. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes I envy your ability to play by ear, Mike. And so easy listen to, thank you.

49. Schubertian - In a Landscape The indeterminacy of this piece lends itself to meditative thought (for me). Your notes re Cage’s neighbor saying music stills the mind, allowing us to come under the influence of divine beings is fitting here. Very relaxing, thank you!

50. Philzpiano - Metamorphosis 1 I really enjoyed this. Intriguing, insistent, dramatic; sounds like the background to a film or TV documentary. Also you played it perfectly. I’d like to learn this myself!

51. raaubucho - Village Dance I felt you kept the time very well, despite saying you struggled! I could just imagine the village dance scene. Well played.

52. f3r (Mark) - Nocturne No.5 in B flat Major (Leschetizky version) This is very good considering you’ve only been playing for 8 months! A lovely piece which certainly doesn’t suffer from jumping the 10ths rather than stretching them! Well done.

53. noobpianist90 - Sonatina Op. 36 No. 1 Flows very well. Bright pace 1st section, nice legato particularly in the 2nd section, and lively 3rd section. Well played, thank you!

54. blackjack1777 - Whistling Away the Dark Easy listening! Congratulations on being able to memorize the sheet music. Many thanks.

55. Alexander borro - One For The Reaper Very atmospheric, particularly with the sound effects! I enjoyed this very much, great listening.

56. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Scherzo op.31 B flat minor No need for your excuses, I so enjoyed listening to this! Wonderful.

57. ajames - Jellybean Blues This was fun! I’m going to try this blues number myself!

58. Edtek22 (Ed Jensen) - I Could Write a Book Nostalgic, easy listening and so nicely played. Thanks Ed.

59. Greener / Jeff - Db Nocturne I really enjoyed this, Jeff. You played it very well, despite your “awkward recording set up”. The fact that it was the last day for recording could have been an intolerable pressure (would have been for me) but there was no sense this was the case. Well done.

T
T
Thank you for all the lovely comments I've received about my piece so far, everyone. I've really enjoyed listening to the whole recital. This is my first batch of comments, apologies it's a bit of a late start!

01. wouter79 - Alla Turca, Rondeau from sonata no.11 K331 (1783) Excellent playing, crisp and precise and with bright tone displaying louder and softer alternating passages with well executed ornaments. Very enjoyable.

02. INBoston - Waltz Am (posth.) Beautiful rendition of this delightful piece - very sensitively and evenly played. I'm sure I would be very happy with such a performance as this, especially after 3 months' practice following many years break. You have no reason to be so hard on yourself! Brilliantly played.

03. MarieJ - High Heels This piece evokes an atmosphere which seems to be telling quite a sad story, conveying a message, the ending being left open for an answer. Intriguing and lovely to listen to.

04. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Arabesque No 1 You made this piece flow along beautifully and I really enjoyed it. I learned this years ago and thought you played it similarly to how I remembered playing it, although in certain sections I was often likely to come to a sticky end, whereas you played these perfectly and confidently. Thank you.

05. peterws - 4 Notes, 4 Chords! Thoroughly exciting and enjoyable piece - really got carried away listening to it. So full of variety in effect and dynamics and sounded a lot more than 4 notes and 4 chords - it's amazing what can be done with so few notes and chords! Please continue composing!

06. torquenale (Alessandra) - Wintertime II Delightful and interesting piece with a lot of variety and changes in melody and style - the bass clef also having a good share of what the piece has to say. Very well played.

07. AZ_Astro - Gnossienne No. 4 I loved the sensitive and colourful way you play this intriguing, mysterious sounding piece - with the melody singing out at times over the rising and falling arpeggios in the LH which carried the piece forward. A real pleasure.

08. MeganR (Megan) - Sonatina in C, First Movement Allegretto You have done so well playing this lovely little piece - and after only a year and three months. There was good control and regularity in rhythm - and it seemed to show that you clearly have a lot of pleasure in playing it - I certainly had pleasure in listening to it!

09. UnderConstruction - Sonata 14 Another pleasurable experience listening to your excellent performance of this complete sonata - showcasing the wide range of piano playing skills necessary to play it - each movement so different. Brilliantly played. Thank you.

10. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Nocturne in E minor Op 72 No 1 A joy to relax and listen to this lovely performance - with the continually moving LH and constantly developing and changing melody line - with chords and trills etc. adding to expressiveness. All excellently played, just great!

11. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G minor, G Major, D minor Enjoyed listening to your performance - being treated to a trio of minuets instead of just one added to the pleasure. Good, solid playing - interesting to hear the counter harmony of the bass lines interacting with the melody on each. Well done.

12. Riddler (Ed) - Crystal Silence Ideal music to listen to for helping you unwind in the evening with a drink! Has a relaxing, lazy feel. Lovely tone of piano, bright and 'crystal' clear and beautifully played.

13. Newbert - The Nearness of You Laid back and relaxing. Loved the additional backing and subtle chords of this piece. Very well played, enjoyable listen.

14. Inlanding - Glen - Prelude E minor Op 28 No 4 Simple melody to begin with, building up to a brief agitated climax and quickly settling down again to calmness at the end. A very evocative and moody piece, with hypnotic regularity of rhythmic LH chords throughout. Delightful to listen to, lovely performance.

15. Ganddalf - Nocturne B-major Brilliantly complex piece - a great deal going on in this - more delights to appreciate on each successive hearing. Very talented composer and pianist, superb performance.

16. Peyton - The Hours Captivating performance. Slow, brooding, but powerful in character, particularly LH part then building up to very dramatic effect. I enjoyed listening to this.

Last edited by that'sRich; 05/29/16 07:49 AM.
P
P
Final set of comments from me. Great performances!

41. _silvia_ - Sweet Reverie, Op 39, 21

Nice even playing and a very listenable performance. Very well done especially after only 15 months of playing!

42. lyricmudra - Adagio, Concerto No. 3 in D Minor for Solo Keyboard, BWV 974

I love this piece and I thought you played it brilliantly. It's a piece that I want to learn myself. I agree with you on the tempo - so many people play this at an exceptionally slow pace, but I think you had it just right. The piece recently featured in a well known movie about varying shades of a certain dark colour! (Content may not be suitable for all readers...)

43. Ken. - Straight No Chaser

I'm not familiar with this piece, but I enjoyed your performance of it.

44. Sam S - The Great Smoky Mountains

Quite a dramatic piece! I imagine the jumps were tricky to master. Interesting learning technique too - I'm not sure I could do that - maybe I will try it on a simpler piece. Your piano sounds terrific by the way.

45. bSharp[C]yclist (Dan) - The Little Beggar - Op. 123, No. 2 - Gretchaninoff

This was a nice clean, tidy performance. Well done.

46. Khopin - Nocturne E Flat Mayor - Op9 No. 2

One of my favourite pieces to listen to - it's currently beyond me to play it due to the jumps in the left hand. I thought you did very well and I shall look forward to hearing more Chopin from you in the future!

47. Kenan - Op 3 No 2 (3 pages.)

I've no idea how you managed to play this after learning for a year and a half, so well done. Sounded great.

48. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Great performance - especially since played by ear. Well done.

49. Schubertian - In a Landscape

I'm not familiar with this piece, but it was relaxing to listen to!

51. raaubucho - Village Dance

Nicely played and I thought your tempo was very good - pretty even throughout. Well done.

52. f3r (Mark) - Nocturne No.5 in B flat Major (Leschetizky version)

Really nice piece and very well played. A very polished performance.

53. noobpianist90 - Sonatina Op. 36 No. 1

A nice lively piece which I imagine is good fun to play. Nicely performed and I particularly enjoyed listening to the runs.

54. blackjack1777 - Whistling Away the Dark

A nice piece and I enjoyed reading your detailed write up on it. I thought you played it very well, with good dynamics and timing. Well done.

55. Alexander borro - One For The Reaper

Very nicely played with perfect pedal use. Very enjoyable to listen to.

56. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Scherzo op.31 B flat minor

A very professional performance at a level that I would love to be able to play at!

57. ajames - Jellybean Blues

A nice jazzy piece - similar to one I'm currently learning. You did well to get up to tempo in two weeks. A good performance - well done.

58. Edtek22 (Ed Jensen) - I Could Write a Book

A nice mellow piece, well played.

59. Greener / Jeff - Db Nocturne

One of my favourite pieces to listen to. It's totally beyond me in terms of level to play. I thought you made a really effort with what is a very difficult piece. Maybe slow the tempo down a bit and add some of the Chopinesque rubato between the various sections? Very well done though and a great piece to finish the recital with.

Kawai CA67
T
T
Here's my next batch of responses:

17. ElaineAllegro - Prelude & Fugue III: C# Major, BWV 848 A very fine performance - enjoyed listening to this and personally I liked your interpretation and the slowing of tempo at the finish.

18. Medden (Simon) - Nuvole Bianche Beautiful performance of this piece - flowing along with appropriate slowing down and pauses. All praises to you for doing such a good job considering the hangover!

19. Brian Moore - Handel, Sarabande in D minor Pleasurable listening - didn't notice any of the imperfections you mentioned but thought your execution of the ornaments was particularly well done. Really liked this.

20. chris shendo - Opus 15 no.1 - Of Foreign Lands and People Your rendition of this Schumann was beautifully and tenderly played with lilting tempo and just the right dynamics. Lovely to listen to.

21. Copper - Goodnight Moon Really lovely meditative piece - delicately and impressively played. Enjoyed this very much. Many thanks for sharing the performance and also the David Nevue link as I have now bought the PDF copy to learn myself.

23. Tubbie0075 - Prelude No. 20, Op 28 Impressive performance - I love the depth and sonority of the big chords in the first part, the contrast to delicate soft playing in the middle, and the crescendo graduating smoothly to the end. Enjoyed listening.

24. earlofmar - Prelude BWV 927 Delightful little piece which you made a very good job of playing - on the go from start to finish. I can see that there could have been difficulties but they were not evident in your performance, which was light and fluent.

25. dynamobt/Marilyn - Danza de la moza denosa A really beautiful and unusual haunting piece with many dischords which you played excellently and with passion - a very Latin feel with a great range of dynamics and expression. Insistent LH motif throughout. Really enjoyed this.

26. outo - Prelude Op. 5-3 I thought you played this very well and it's a lovely piece with unconventional chords - which put together made for an overall harmonious and attractive piece. I really enjoyed it.

27. Erik BerikHerik - Sensation Rag - Joseph Lamb (arr. by Scott Joplin) Very enjoyable performance. You played so well especially considering you are self-taught - I would love to hear you play more ragtime music.

28. Jen Weir - Patterns in the Ivy Beautiful flowing piece, wonderfully played emphasising clear melody line singing out in upper register - has a sudden unexpected ending but I loved listening to it.

29. Sand Tiger - Capistrano Suite Really liked listening to this little suite. In the 1st movement I felt the unwillingness of mood and also at times the impatience as well as the anger and sadness you mentioned. In the 2nd movement I could hear the flying effect brought over with the melody set at much higher pitch and freer flowing movement. Overall I think you achieved what you set out to do. Well done!

30. CarlosCC - Brothers I enjoyed this piece. The melody has a lonely and plaintive feel - building to a sense of urgency and turmoil with a driving rhythm - this is how it came over to me. Very well played with great expression.

31. Inkwolf - Cruella DeVil It was great listening to this - you played it really well with accentuated notes in the right places to bring out the jazzy feel and also the scariness of Cruella! Took me back to seeing the film as a kid. By the way, you are lucky to have a cultured pet who shares your interests!

32. Monica K. - The Water Diviner A pleasure to listen to - I liked the way this piece moved from soft sensitive parts to grand dramatic climaxes, then quieter again. Very expressively and sensitively handled. The piano has a lovely sonorous tone.

33. jotur/Cathy Turner - Well Hall A delightful piece, played very nicely. Evoked images of English village scenes. A happy joyful mood was evident in this music. Thank you for this and also the info!

34. Cat_W (Katharina Wittfeld) - Awakening (Erwachen) A fine performance - loved the way the lively melody danced around over the keyboard in such a bright cheerful manner. Excellent dynamic expression and good exercise for the fingers!

35. SwissMS/Doris - Shui Cao Wu (Dance of the Watergrass)) Delightful piece laden with beautiful oriental flavours. Interesting change when LH takes over melody line. Harp-like arpeggios well played, and the whole has a variety of interest. Lovely performance.

36. joangolfing - Prelude BWV 928 (F Major) Good, competent performance of this Prelude. A delightful piece in perpetual movement. Enjoyed listening to it.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission