2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I have a few books of sheet music with guitar tabs, 1 staff for vocal, and 2 staves for piano. I'm wondering if the piano music is for accompaniment only or can it be used for piano solo (essentially just ignoring the vocal part)?

Like the one below, for example.
[Linked Image]

If I'm looking for a piano solo arrangement, should I avoid these kinds of sheet music?

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Typically for a solo you'd work the melody in somewhere. As you can see from your example, the melody is already played in full by the treble clef piano accompaniment line.

There's no hard rules for writing an accompaniment or solo. Generally playing roots/5ths (like your example) in the LH and chords and or melody in the RH (like your example) is a good starting point. So a music sheet like you've got is a great starting point for working out an composition of your own. After that though just follow your ears.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
^Thanks. So I take it that if I want to play a piano solo I would need to make some tweaks on the sheet music I posted earlier? Unfortunately I'm not yet in the position to be figuring out a composition on my own, so this means I would have to look for a solo version somewhere else.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by marimorimo
^Thanks. So I take it that if I want to play a piano solo I would need to make some tweaks on the sheet music I posted earlier? Unfortunately I'm not yet in the position to be figuring out a composition on my own, so this means I would have to look for a solo version somewhere else.

You don't need to tweak anything on the music that you posted - just learn to bring out the melody. In this case it is the little finger, right hand, which is probably the easiest to do. Think of more weight on that finger and less weight everywhere else and see if you can make the melody stand out.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
If you can read and play what you see on the two bottom clefs, left hand for Bass clef and right hand for treble clef, then what you have may work fine. It might be a little low on the keyboard so you may have to move the right hand up an octave. Also ... without seeing the rest of the arrangement I cannot tell if the piano part contains the melody of the tune or just an accompaniment to a singer part ... probably the latter. If you play through it a bit you will know if the melody is in there.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Mari, I don't know how you can read that!!! If you can, that's great. I've tried and there is just too much on the page.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949
Mari, I don't know how you can read that!!! If you can, that's great. I've tried and there is just too much on the page.

If you think about it as chords + melody rather than just a splotch of 20 notes it's quite manageable.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by marimorimo

If I'm looking for a piano solo arrangement, should I avoid these kinds of sheet music?

Yes, though you can make do with it.
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949
... there is just too much on the page.

You can ignore most of it. A strong note reader would just play the lower treble and bass clef. A chord reader would probably just look at the guitar part.

Looks like the melody is also in the piano part, so you could just use the piano part for your solo. If you can read chords the easiest would be just read the chords and melody (guitar and vocal parts only) and make use of it as a lead sheet.

So a few options, however the arrangement is for piano, guitar and a singer and is not designed for piano solo. If you can find an arrangement for piano solo, you'd likely be better off.

Last edited by Greener; 05/30/16 03:51 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Music for accompaniment takes several forms. Melody, sung, at the top, accompaniment is on the 2 staves beneath, and may, or may not reflect the melody either completely or in part. Sometimes you can get a piano version for solo, but you may lose out somewhat on the backing quality.

Fun, isnt it? grin

Last edited by peterws; 05/31/16 05:06 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone. That made sheet music make more sense to me, and it's very helpful for making future purchases smile I'm not advanced yet to play the sample I put up either way, so I will have to shelve it for now.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission