2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I would like to get a few spare parts for my Petrof IV, mainly a a leg and a pair of cheek blocks. I could probably reuse the current blocks, as only 1 has a big crack on the finish, and I could probably just get that refinished, but the leg has some gouges so I need to get that no matter what. I figure that I will just bring those parts to a regular furniture refinisher and have him just finish it it regular glossy black like a piano; this should be a standard thing that such folks can do. Also, all I need is the leg; I was planning on doing the swap whenever I move, and was wondering if movers tale off just the leg or both the leg and the flange.

Here is the catalog that shows the parts:

http://www.petrof.com/files/nahradni_dily/nahradni-dily-drevo.pdf

The parts I need are 200182 & 200097. I suppose that the cheek blocks are different for left & right, but I suppose that they could be the same. I suppose that I am supposed to get this from the local dealer, but there is no local dealer, so I think that means that I can buy direct from the USA distributor of from Petrof directly.

Last edited by swampwiz; 05/29/16 11:01 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Swampwiz, you will likely get more/better responses on the Piano Technician's forum, but some of the dealers here may chime in with some advice.

My advice? You will likely come out better/cheaper buying 3 generic grand piano legs (new or used) and having them refinished than trying to buy one leg from Petrof, but I could be wrong.

As far as dealing with Petrof directly yourself, as a consumer, good luck with that.

I thought you were trying to sell your Petrof IV grand or possibly trade it for an upright?

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B

There will be a right and left cheek block. They are not usually interchangeable.

Unless the leg is structurally weak, any gouges should be repairable by a good touch up person. There is usually some fitting involved in leg replacement.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The problems that can occur fitting replacement case part often outweigh the problems with repairing cosmetic damage. Sometimes the fitting process can damage the new finish.

I suggest trying to find an experienced finish touch up person.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
S
S
I agree. Call a reputable local piano dealership and ask them who does their touch up.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Online Content
Not to hi-jack Swampwiz's thread, but while we are on the subject of grand piano legs, I've noticed that some grand pianos (particularly Yamaha and Kawai, and other Asian made pianos) have the bolt-on legs. Other brands, like Baldwin, Kimball, Steinway(?) have the slot-fit style legs that fit in a metal slot and are forced in place with a rubber hammer, or very strong human hands.

Which is better/stronger?

I suppose if the legs on a grand piano are not bolted on, then they are the slot-fit type.

No wonder my piano mover keeps a large rubber hammer in his toolbox. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Rickster

Our movers are occasionally asked about the rubber mallet - they usually say that is in case customers bother them while they are trying to work.

Fitting legs is no big deal if you are tooled up for it. It is usually done in a shop setting. Notice that the Petrof leg being offered is what we call a blank leg. The leg plate will have to be fit into the leg and it looks like the apron is sold as a separate piece from the picture. That means the leg will have to be glued up as well.

Find a touch up man, Swampwiz.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've decided to not sell it. Dealers want too much of a cut for me to get cash out, although perhaps I could still sell it on my own, but even then, I was not all that impressed with even the biggest of the uprights. I'll just deal with the big footprint.

(I'm not sure why I titled it "cabinet parts", LOL.)

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob

There will be a right and left cheek block. They are not usually interchangeable.

Unless the leg is structurally weak, any gouges should be repairable by a good touch up person. There is usually some fitting involved in leg replacement.

I didn't think the cheek blocks were interchangeable. As for getting touchup, are you saying that someone could simply apply some bondo to the leg and then come back later and refinish?

And I suppose that such a touchup tech would make a house call as it would be quite expensive to move the piano back & forth. I guess he'd be like a "furniture tuner".

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster

Rick

I wonder if someone had improperly used a rubber hammer, causing the gouges in the first place. I didn't seem to remember it when I saw it at the showroom, but who looks for that? It was super discounted, though, but not labeled as "scratch & dent".

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by swampwiz
I've decided to not sell it. Dealers want too much of a cut for me to get cash out, although perhaps I could still sell it on my own, but even then, I was not all that impressed with even the biggest of the uprights. I'll just deal with the big footprint.

(I'm not sure why I titled it "cabinet parts", LOL.)

I've had a Petrof IV. There probably is no upright sounding or playing better.

Why can't the leg just be fixed?

Did you mail with Petrof ? http://www.petrof.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I arrived to tune a piano that had just been moved into the room. There was a deep scratch on the front leg through to the white underfinish. It looked ugly, particularly since there was a golden throne in the centre of the front row. A sure indication of the sort of audience.

I had the movers swap the front legs, since time was of the essence and refinishing smells were not required.

If the problem is cosmetic, this may be something that you can do but a professional refinisher can do an imperceptible job quicker without taking anything apart and deal with the other problems on the same visit. They do that all the time and all new pianos get the attention of one of these professionals before the leave the store and before they leave the factory.

Your local dealer will know the local professionals.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rXd
I arrived to tune a piano that had just been moved into the room. There was a deep scratch on the front leg through to the white underfinish. It looked ugly, particularly since there was a golden throne in the centre of the front row. A sure indication of the sort of audience.

I had the movers swap the front legs, since time was of the essence and refinishing smells were not required.

If the problem is cosmetic, this may be something that you can do but a professional refinisher can do an imperceptible job quicker without taking anything apart and deal with the other problems on the same visit. They do that all the time and all new pianos get the attention of one of these professionals before the leave the store and before they leave the factory.

Your local dealer will know the local professionals.

I guess resurrecting this thread is in line with the upcoming (Star Wars) Episode IX, LOL.

I guess folks are saying that it is common for a furniture restorer to come onsite and do the repair job? It looks like generic legs cost about $150, so I'd be looking at at least $200/$250 net to bring that to a shop to put on a finish. Having a tech come onside and repairing a few gouges and refinishing the gloss ebony would cost no more $250? I guess that would make sense. I had figured that it would be repairing a dent in a car, costing over $500, and then some for the tech to come onsite.

Last edited by swampwiz; 08/06/19 04:13 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Onsite repair and touch up includes trip time. I don't recall the damage to your cabinet, but if the dealers are balking, it must be at least moderate. Replacing the leg may or may not be more cost effective by the time you fit it, but I also find that most good furniture repair pros that are good enough to do pianos...can justify a premium for their services.

If the most time consuming damage is to removeable case parts, bringing the parts to the repair person is likely to be a more cost effective option if you have a way to store and handle the piano incomplete.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Onsite repair and touch up includes trip time. I don't recall the damage to your cabinet, but if the dealers are balking, it must be at least moderate. Replacing the leg may or may not be more cost effective by the time you fit it, but I also find that most good furniture repair pros that are good enough to do pianos...can justify a premium for their services.

If the most time consuming damage is to removeable case parts, bringing the parts to the repair person is likely to be a more cost effective option if you have a way to store and handle the piano incomplete.

That's what I had figured. Having someone to come out has to be quite expensive, and simply taking off the bad parts and bringing it to a shop to fix it at its leisure has to be a lot less expensive.

I'll be getting one of these (for moving around pinball machines), and I figure that it could be used to hold up the piano temporarily while I get the leg reworked. I also have a horse thing, but it might be too tall. I know there are other leg support tools, but I don't want to spend any appreciable amount of cash on a one-time needed thing. At about 680# net, each leg should take at most about 250#, so it will be strong enough.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

Last edited by swampwiz; 08/12/19 08:02 AM.
B
BDB Offline
B
To hold a grand up temporarily, I just use a couple of pieces of 2 by 6, about 2 feet long, screwed together in an L shape. The cost is under $10.

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
To hold a grand up temporarily, I just use a couple of pieces of 2 by 6, about 2 feet long, screwed together in an L shape. The cost is under $10.

Yes, that sounds like a good backup system. I presume by "L shape" you mean something like this?

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/The-dimensions-of-an-L-shaped-beam-and-the-of-the-Carri%C3%B3n-X./4d11c843c650298cbbf133b89a5912da5ec84503/figure/0

B
BDB Offline
B
Something like that. I took two 2-foot lengths and screwed one into the other.

You can use the same piece as a brake box for moving pianos down stairs. Hang it over the edge of a step, so the piano will not just slip down the noses of the stairs. Or you can put a stair roller on it for going up the stairs.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission