2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I loved the way Horowitz played. His style and technique were unique... Have you ever noticed how smooth and precious his runs were? Like a string of pearls, as I've heard one person put it...

How did he play those runs so perfectly? (I know, practice, practice, practice...) I've practiced my scales, tried to run "lightly" over the keys and watched the "weight of my arms"--if that makes sense--on the keyboard. Over the years, I've focused on finger building techniques ("Skills and Drills" by Robert Pace and Karl Tausig, good ole #36). I guess I could review my Hanon book...

Does anyone have any suggestions for good finger technique books focused on improving runs, that could produce Horowitz-like results? (If there is a good Tausig, Czerny, or Hanon exercise, that I've missed, that would be great.)

Thanks

Piano Practice
1972 Baldwin R #196745
Casio CDP 100

Soli Deo Gloria
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Play a lot of Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven. Lots of scales in their pieces and it challenges you to play them in a musical way.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
What is wrong with your scales now?

Poetry is rhythm
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Horowitz' piano was fixed up so that the touch was incredibly light. He also played very flat fingered.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you all. I've been focusing on a couple of some sonatas... Haydn's E flat (no. 49) and a Beethoven one (no. 8) which helps. Good idea you have and will continue to go that route.

As far as scale runs, I'm trying to make it more consistent between notes... More even tones if that makes sense.

Last edited by Piano Practice; 06/08/16 08:54 PM.

Piano Practice
1972 Baldwin R #196745
Casio CDP 100

Soli Deo Gloria
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
The string of pearls phrase is a standard expression for a certain kind of playing, not particular to Horowitz. You can Google "jeu perlé piano" for more info about it.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
basically it's about measuring how fast and how far down you play each key in the run, practising very slowly. I mean VERY slowly. To name drop (but in a good way), Karl Ulrich Schnabel told my teacher that each note in a run must have the same quantity of sound, and the same quality of sound, and it should sound like a string of perfect pearls (as you say). Core sound should be like iron wrapped in velvet (another direct Schnabel quote), meaning it should have body, but it shouldn't have a hard edge to it.

Another image that Schnabel used was to say, imagine the feeling of diving into a pool, you use your full weight, and dive right in, but you don't hit the bottom. That's what playing the notes on the piano should feel like.

Of course in practical terms, you DO reach the bottom of the key travel, but your arm makes it feel like you don't. If that makes sense..... (very hard to put into words, easy to show)

YAMAHA Artist
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
If I can just add something else to this:

I too love Horowitz, and I think he was a genius. At times I disagree with some of his interpretation, and his technique isn't something I would wish to emulate - but he was wealthy enough to play with his own piano at every concert (and having seen videos of him playing on different pianos, I know that his technique wasn't limited to his own instrument).

Anyway, what I wanted to say was, don't try and be like Horowitz by emulating his performance style, but try to be like Horowitz by searching for what he searched for. Does that make any sense?

YAMAHA Artist
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Also worth mentioning that Horowitz had long fingers, and thus had long-finger technique. It might be better (and easier) for you to learn short-finger technique.

Poetry is rhythm
I
I
Josh Wright has a great video on this:

Pearly Sound

Josh's explanation helped me tremendously with my tone. Add a little bit of space between the notes (not quite staccato but sort of) and when played at faster tempos it creates that light magical pearly sound.

Yamaha U1
Yamaha CLP 545
P
OP Offline
P
Great feedback! Thanks everyone!

Piano Practice
1972 Baldwin R #196745
Casio CDP 100

Soli Deo Gloria
I've only recently begun watching videos of Horowitz playing and I'm struck by the angle at which he approaches the keys. After having studied Glenn Gould's technique a little (not to emulate, just to know), I wonder if Horowitz had a similar philosophy.

As I understand it, broadly speaking, being low to the keyboard forces you to use the muscles in your fingers more and the muscles in your arms less. Your finger muscles have more dexterity but you sacrifice the power available in your arms. Additionally, you likely sacrifice your body and your long-term ability to play.

I don't recall having seen Horowitz mentioned in my reading of Gould's technique but now I wonder about the similarities.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by David Aubke
I've only recently begun watching videos of Horowitz playing and I'm struck by the angle at which he approaches the keys.
As I understand it, broadly speaking, being low to the keyboard forces you to use the muscles in your fingers more and the muscles in your arms less. Your finger muscles have more dexterity but you sacrifice the power available in your arms. Additionally, you likely sacrifice your body and your long-term ability to play.
Sounds to me like you're confusing two different things. Horowitz used flatter fingers than most but he was not low to the keyboard, i.e. sitting low. One needs dexterity and power to play well. Most don't recommend or use a low sitting position as it is harder to use arms when playing.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Piano Practice
I loved the way Horowitz played. His style and technique were unique... Have you ever noticed how smooth and precious his runs were? Like a string of pearls, as I've heard one person put it...
Unless you are a very advanced conservatory level student, any professional pianist's scales would be a good model to emulate. They all have excellent technique, and most use a technique that's more suitable/recommended than the more extreme approaches of Horowitz or Gould. One doesn't have to use their approaches to play runs well.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/16/16 05:47 PM.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by David Aubke
I've only recently begun watching videos of Horowitz playing and I'm struck by the angle at which he approaches the keys. After having studied Glenn Gould's technique a little (not to emulate, just to know), I wonder if Horowitz had a similar philosophy.

Notice that both Horowitz and Gould, although their elbows were low, their hands were held high and in a solid position.

Poetry is rhythm

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission