2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 443 of 540 1 2 441 442 443 444 445 539 540
If we count the week as starting on Sunday, then my achievement so far this week is having a go at playing the right hand melody of Only The Lonely. smile

I was just flipping through my music & stopped on that page. wink

My journey has started...... thumb

Last edited by my-names-are-used; 06/05/16 06:38 AM.

Bought an electric piano (Yamaha NP31) as a retirement project.
My kinds of music are mainly rock, blues, country, & folk. thumb

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Achievement - really good lesson this past week and good follow up work. Especially on the third movement of my sonatina. The two pages are pretty much on par now, rather than the first page being much better than the second. I've got the tempo pretty even too, lots of metronome work to be sure I don't speed up!
Now it is just being smooth throughout, and then gradually bringing the speed up!
(just...sigh)

On the down side....
I've been trying to work on the Traumerei, and I think it is way more than I'll be able to manage on my own over the summer. I have just a few hours left in June with my teacher and I don't think it will be enough (given we have to finish pieces I am wrapping up).... I think I will have to find something else and leave Traumerei til the autumn.

I suppose he thinks I can do it, because he ok'd it ... but I don't feel very positive about this and I have to talk to him about it.

Any suggestions for something that is not too easy - but not as hard as Traumerei?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

This afternoon I had a go at the right hand melody line of House Of The Rising Sun. smile

E
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
E
Me:
"I am so busy crossing out unreachable and unnecessary notes."

EarlofMar:
The joys of working to a live music deadline! Permission is hereby given to panic. .

I love reading AOTW and seeing what others are working on, and how everyone is moving forward, but don't think I've posted here much.

I wanted to share a real first for me, maybe Achievement of Three Weeks. I was asked to fill in for a friend (who had a family situation) to find and organize the music and musicians for a one-hour benefit concert with three weeks notice. Last night, it all came together! We had a set of songs and piano pieces by children, then a classical segment, and ended with a ragtime and folk segment. I accompanied a singer, learned (after crossing out those unnecessary notes) and played in a cello-piano sonata, and played 3 mazurkas. Everyone survived, the concert was a great success, and my family wants me to promise I will never do this again...but who knows!

I don't know if there's a "take-away." My friend who set the whole thing in motion says, If we want to play like Horowitz, we should aim in that direction and even if we get 3% of the way, that's infinitely more than 0%.

Back to reality and practicing... (Thank you for listening.)

Working on: Schumann, Faschingsschwank aus Wien Op. 26; Mozart Piano Sonata No. 10 in C major, K. 330; Grieg, 25 Norwegian Folk Songs and Dances, 0p. 17 (selections)
Everyone survived, the concert was a great success,

That's what counts...... smile

Well done. thumb

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I rarely write here, but I follow you... now I think I have something to say, too.

In my effort to get ready for the European Piano Party, I've been looking for chances to play with people around. Last week I went to the public library and played a grand for the first time (out-of-tune baby grand, and only a few employees passing by!).

Then on Sunday I had my second grand piano experience at a friend's home - a very nice morning with a longtime music lover and wonderful pianist. I got into panic as soon as I touched the keys, because I seemed unable to produce a decent sound (or any sound at all) from her piano, but with some advice I got used to it pretty quickly and in the end I was able to somehow play my pieces. Then she played a Scherzo by Clara Schumann and wow - I understood what it means to project sound. That little piano sounded amazing under her hands. She also gave me a few tips, and urged me to look for a good teacher. I think she meant it as a compliment and encouragement - she still has an instructor herself and she's been playing for at least 70 years.

Earlier this week I also had two friends over and played for them. I messed up most of my pieces but I carried on, and all in all I think they enjoyed it. So on I go, trying not to think and not to worry...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Great to hear from you here sino!

After my recital a couple days ago (described elsewhere), I've been reminding myself that we will never see this headline, "Piano Student Delivers Imperfect Performance" because it is not news.

Learner
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by malkin

After my recital a couple days ago (described elsewhere), I've been reminding myself that we will never see this headline, "Piano Student Delivers Imperfect Performance" because it is not news.

LOL

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

Excellent! I think I'll add that to my signature!

Diana - what you're doing is fantastic! You're going to be in great shape for the EPP.

I have my lesson today . I wrote to my teacher giving him a heads up that I think Traumerei should wait til the autumn when we can work on it together and he said not worry "we don't need to challenge ourselves in this way".
I love that he talks about "we" - and that he understood immediately and saw no need to make this a stressful activity.

We're going to pick something else this week or next.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Traumerai looks very challenging. It's so beautiful that it may be worth the effort, but it's good that your teacher understands how you feel. Have you already played other pieces from Kinderszenen? The first one and the last one are much more feasible, and there are others easier than Traumerai in that collection.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Traumerai looks very challenging. It's so beautiful that it may be worth the effort, but it's good that your teacher understands how you feel. Have you already played other pieces from Kinderszenen? The first one and the last one are much more feasible, and there are others easier than Traumerai in that collection.

No, I haven't played any of those. I have played some from OP 68, but not this group. Thanks for the information - I will look at the others and see about trying them!

[Linked Image]

F
f3r Offline
F
Träumerei was listed as grade 7 ABRSM. It is more difficult than what it sounds like. All the Schumann's pieces (from Op.68, I never took Op.15) I worked on have been like this.

Träumerei is a piece I'm very interested in but after spending so much time on another grade 7 piece (actually not sure about this), Bach Invention 12, I decided I'm not ready for it. That Invention is still bad, it is too much of a stretch.

Last edited by f3r; 06/07/16 08:00 AM.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Grade 7 eh Mark? Well, that sounds way too advanced for me smile

My teacher was super understanding and we will work on it, just not over the summer when I'm doing it on my own.

We picked out some other pieces and he's going to bring me some pieces to look at next week (some Mozart I think).

I played my whole sonatina for him at the lesson and while I flubbed a bit, it wasn't too shabby. It was definitely a "performance" not a simple presentation of weekly work. He said my 3rd movement was " a different planet from what it had been the week before". That was really gratifying.

I was telling my husband about some of my progress and the comments I was getting and he asked if my teacher gave out gold stars. I said , well some teachers do , but mine doesn't. And my sweetie said he would get me some gold star stickers smile

[Linked Image]

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Casinitaly, often the same piece can be set at different grades but the performance expectations will vary.
Seems like Traumerei might be a case in point?
This ABRSM discussion thread suggests more like Grade 5 in terms of difficulty playing the piece:
http://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=43936

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by barbaram
Casinitaly, often the same piece can be set at different grades but the performance expectations will vary.
Seems like Traumerei might be a case in point?
This ABRSM discussion thread suggests more like Grade 5 in terms of difficulty playing the piece:
http://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=43936

I liked the comment that "trying to learn it at grade 5 level is nothing short of torture"...... that hit a little too close to home for comfort! lol.

[Linked Image]

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I liked the comment that "trying to learn it at grade 5 level is nothing short of torture"...... that hit a little too close to home for comfort! lol.

LOL, good point smile

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
He said my 3rd movement was " a different planet from what it had been the week before". That was really gratifying.

Oh yeah, that is definitely a gold star comment. It is so great to
see your hard work paying off.... Congrats!

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Well my AOTW is music related if not piano related - I've signed up for a singing course over the summer. My piano teacher isn't teaching over the summer, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to try something different!

[Linked Image]
D
D
Hi,

When I see these posts where we are our own worst critic, I keep thinking of the article I saw at the music humor site "Submediant" -

"Pianist Misses Notes in Recital, Says Pianist"

http://www.submediant.com/2016/05/02/pianist-misses-notes-recital-says-pianist/

Jeff

Yamaha DGX-650
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
grin Thanks, Jeff. Got a good chuckle out of that article.... fun site bookmarked. grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 443 of 540 1 2 441 442 443 444 445 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission