2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
hello, guys. Long time no see, huh? I occasionally come here to read useful adult beginner forum tips, but don't usually login.

Anyway, loving my PX-850, but I can't seem to set it to different temperaments.

I follow in the manual that you have to hold down Function button while pushing the Temperament key, then the 2 temperament select keys from the "tempo" range (0 and 4 to select 04, say) and then the base key from the "song select" range. I try different ways this procedure, but get nowhere, it all sounds the same to the standard equal temperament with "concert piano" and I guess with other tones too.

anyone may help here?

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
The "temperament" change is quite subtle, unless you can access non-Western scales.

Two ways you might hear it:

1. Use a guitar tuner (or "guitar tuner" app on a smartphone) to check the tuning of the "different temperament" scales;

2. Learn to hear "beats" on major thirds, and see if they're different in different temperaments.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
really? some people make such a big fuss about it that it makes you wonder about all the "true colors" in the right temperaments...

I'll try 1 later at home... thanks. Though I can't believe I'm that deaf to temperament changes... :p

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
if you choose 'C' as your base key, with 'Just' temperament and play an F# major triad, it should sound bad

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I remember playing with my dp and then Pianoteq. Now this seemed to have a slightly different temperament insofar as some notes sounded out of tune if the two piano sounds were played simultaneously. This doesn`t happen with my current dp.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by peterws
I remember playing with my dp and then Pianoteq. Now this seemed to have a slightly different temperament insofar as some notes sounded out of tune if the two piano sounds were played simultaneously. This doesn`t happen with my current dp.

There were a-lot of dp's that were not actually tempered 'well'.

Think about having a sample stretched across 3 half steps and playing a chord which picks across the various stretched samples.

My ES6 was the first DP I had that the chords sounded right.
My PX5s sounds good too.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
BTW, guys, got it working. Found this help:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/ind...x-750-tuning-and-temperament/#entry15318

Thing is that you really have to carry out all 3 operations in sequence under a single FUNCTION key press. It makes for quite a change in meantone or well tempered, for instance...

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
C
C
I had to spend 10 minutes figuring this out. The manual really doesn't explain it and an internet search led me back here which didn't do me any good either because the link basically restates the manual. I'm going to explain it for dummies here because I guess a lot of owners just give up on setting the Casio Privia digital piano temperament, when a little experimentation and reading up on temperaments could add something useful to their musical knowledge.

Press and HOLD the function key through all the following until I tell you to release it:
Press the B1 piano key (just to the left of the one marked "Tempo -" ). The piano gives a high beep.
With function key still held down, you now have to press a sequence of two piano keys (of octave 2) marked with Tempo numbers to select the temperament, e.g. 00 equal, 03 Pythagorean, 04 Kirnberger III, 05 Werckmeister. The first temperament key will make a low beep, and the second one will make a high beep.
With function key still held down, you can now choose an optional base note for the temperament by pressing a key on octave three ("Musical library select" keys). Piano will make a high beep when you do so. If you don't choose the base note it will assume the base note you chose last time, or I guess C if you never chose one before.
That's it, you can let go of the function key now.
If you are not convinced the whole procedure is working, try choosing temperament 06 mean tone with C base note and then play an f sharp major scale and the change should be obvious.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
In the review I wrote of the PX-560 and the CGP-700 for the Piano Buyer, I believe I had the option of setting the "stretch" tuning of the grand piano sound on or off using the touchscreen interface. The default "off" setting was driving me crazy, so you may wish to experiment with that, should it be an option on the 850.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission