2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
Originally Posted by Timpskie
I recently heard the first three sounds (SK-EX, EX and SK-5) take up about 90% of the storage space. That would meen all the other sounds together use 10%. So there would have to be a huge difference in sample qualtity with all the other sounds. I can clearly hear a difference in tone between the different piano sounds, but I fail te hear what makes the difference in quality. What makes the new Shigeru samples so good?

Firstly, the quality of the sound. But, mostly, number of velocity layers which results in a very good dynamic response. You can play very serious classic repertoire on the new samples and it will sound awesome.

Last edited by alerique; 06/19/16 11:28 AM.
R
R
Hi, I Usually use the EX sounds Which seem to my ears to be more natural and dynamic compared to my acoustic piano ( but far away from the real acoustic sound thought....)

On the future, will it be possible to upgrade the piano by downloadding new sounds via kawai website ?

Last edited by rolex67; 06/19/16 01:31 PM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by rolex67
On the future, will it be possible to upgrade the piano by downloadding new sounds via kawai website ?

This is definitely not something you can count on. However, in some cases it has happened.

I own an original Kawai MP8. Not that long after my purchase, they came out with the MP8II and make available to MP8 owners a free firmware upgrade that changed both the functionality and sound of the piano to match the MP8II--some voices were upgraded. Note, however, that the first piano voice was not upgraded, apparently because it is built into the hardware in a way that is not upgradeable. My guess is that the voices mentioned here that occupy the bulk of the memory are not upgradeable even in principle. And of course, firmware upgrades that change the voices are not that common anyway.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello Timpskie,

I recently heard the first three sounds (SK-EX, EX and SK-5) take up about 90% of the storage space.

May I ask where you heard that?

What makes the new Shigeru samples so good?

Piano samples that feature 88-key sampling and multiple velocity layers require a considerable amount of memory.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Timpskie,

I recently heard the first three sounds (SK-EX, EX and SK-5) take up about 90% of the storage space.

May I ask where you heard that?

What makes the new Shigeru samples so good?

Piano samples that feature 88-key sampling and multiple velocity layers requires a considerable amount of memory.

Kind regards,
James
x

Yes, you may smile

one of the piano salesmen told us this at the Maene digital academy.

Online Content
Yes, you may smile

one of the piano salesmen told us this at the Maene digital academy.

Interesting, thank you. Is this event for customers or for dealers, may I ask?

Kind regards,
James
x

O
O
From this: http://fr.maene.be/en/news/about-maene/new-dates-digital-academy-2012.aspx

"The “Maene Digital Academy”, a free training for all of our digital piano customers, [...]" so it's clearly a customer/consumer event. What I'm perplexed about, however, James, is what difference does dealer vs. customer make in the context?

The statement about % of storage used for certain sounds is a pretty unambiguous statement - it would be interesting if you could confirm or deny it.

I can understand that if incorrect information is being passed on to dealers it can have a significantly more damaging impact since a dealer talks to many consumers, but in the end many consumers also read these boards seeking for advice that is perceived to be less biased than that of a dealer (whether they get it and from whom is a completely different question - and many dealers/professionals here offer remarkably [brand] unbiased advice, including your good self).

Online Content
oldmancoyote, thank you for the link.

Originally Posted by oldmancoyote
What I'm perplexed about, however, James, is what difference does dealer vs. customer make in the context?

I would expect the information given at dealer training workshops to be geared towards selling the instrument, while customer oriented events would place the emphasis on how to utilise the instrument's various features.

Kind regards,
James
x

O
O
Which, you will forgive me I hope, has nothing to do with the context here (or at Maene).

T
OP Offline
T
Numbers are one thing. If these HI-XL samples use up to 90% storage space, the quality must be far better than the other samples. But numbers don't say everything.
What my question was: how do you guys hear or experience this difference in quality? Apparently there are more velocity layers, so there must be a finer nuance between pp, p,mp,mf,f and ff. They have longer samples, so you would hear less "looping". I'm a newbie, I don't hear these differences yet. Don't ask me where the looping kicks in. Also still trying ti figure out what makes one piano have a more "richer" sound than the other (and yes I know this doesn't have anything to do whith money wink )

I like very much the Shigeru patches on the CA97 and also the EX Concert, but to be honest I also use pretty much other patches like the Pop Grands, Jazz, Standard and a few others and I cannot truly say they are less quality or less playable than the first three.

I'm not aware whether they take up 90% of the storage but it doesn't seem to me that they are far more playable (or layered) than the rest... Not speaking out my preference regarding pitch and timbre, just considering quality and playability.

My 50 cents.

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa X GT>FP90x>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz
P
P
Saying the first 3 pianos use 90% of the space does not necessarily mean the other pianos use tiny/sub-standard samples. In fact, I am confident that most of the alternative pianos are merely pitch-shifted (and EQed) versions of the first 3. I say this because you can pick out a slightly irregular/distinctive sample on one of the first 3 pianos and then find that same peculiarity on a neighboring key of the alternative pianos. If I am right about that, then those pianos would re-use the existing data and have very little of their own data.

But I'd take the "90%" claim with a grain of salt in the first place, since Kawai never makes such information public. And although other people could reverse-engineer such information, I haven't heard of anyone doing that.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In addition to pitch shifting or EQ, one way to transform an instrument is to play fortissimo with the timbre of a pianissimo (but the loudness of forte), or the reverse. This method is used by XLNAudio in their Addictive Keys piano. I don't know if common digital pianos do the same.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission