Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
53 registered (Amosdoll, cathryn999, b_astro, Bolster, 11 invisible), 1158 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2551714 - 06/24/16 06:46 AM question on piano exercise ands learning
iamanders Offline

Hi!
I was listening to an interview with Muddy Water (by Alan Lomax) in which he said that he practised the guitar for 2 hours a day.
I also watched a video with Billy Taylor in which he said something about 10 hours of practice is good for him.
I also remember meeting a concert pianist who said that he needed 6 hours practise a day but that a Concert pianist need much more than that.

If we take a look a Muddy Waters we have a guy who learned singing in Church and by doing work. Besides that he practiced the guitar. Does his Music require less pratice than the type of music Bily Taylor played? What are your views on this?

I had a piano teacher who said that one can learn a lot about Music away from the piano and Ireally Believe in this. So I would not practise for 6 hours day in front of a piano.

What are your experiences?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2551716 - 06/24/16 07:26 AM Re: question on piano exercise ands learning [Re: iamanders]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Rather than looking at total time at the piano, I have tried to look at what needs to be done, and how to make my practice more effective.... therefore, I have actually reduced my practice time in the last year but really have made more progress than when I was spending more time.

I am just a returning adult student, but here are my thoughts There have been a ton of books and excellent articles written about practice:
- I do not start from the beginning of a piece each time I practice.
- Identify what needs work and the goal of the practice session.
- Target the problem sections/phrases, working each of them separately in small chunks of the score and time.
- Split practice into smaller periods of time throughout the day, rather than one long, exhaustive practice.
- Occasionally, I will pull the score and a colored pencil, sit on the couch, and listen to how those better than me play the repertoire.. mark up the score as needed. Sometimes, I mentally play the score.. all of this 'away from the piano' does seem to help.

Of importance to me: to be really practicing, rather than playing without getting anywhere. I try to mentally ask myself 'are you really getting anywhere?' if not, that is all for that session unless I want to label it as 'playing around'.

#2551939 - 06/25/16 08:34 AM Re: question on piano exercise ands learning [Re: iamanders]
indigo_dave Offline

From the questions you've been posting - questions about interval ear training and transcribing solos - it appears to me you are on the right track. Developing what I like to call your "mind's ear" is at least as important as getting your fingers to move in certain ways needed to play - in my opinion.

I like Muddy Waters (have you heard Otis Spann playing with him?). But his guitar playing didn't require fast and fluid fingers. There are many other guitar players you could find who probably need more practice than that 2 hours you mentioned. But Muddy was playing a much simpler music than Billy Taylor. 10 hours seems a bit overdone.

But I totally agree with your teacher about there being ways of developing your musicality in ways other than playing.

I'm going to throw in a mention of a book Arnold Schoenberg wrote when teaching at USC in Los Angeles. He said the book was intended to help his (college level) students develop their ears. "Preliminary Exercises in Counterpoint" - see the link below. I worked through part of this book about 40 years ago and had some positive results in my mind's ear. The focus of the book is writing out counterpoint exercises according to prescribed instructions.

It seems, from your prior posts, that you know what you should work on. It's now just the heavy lifting of continuing the work you are doing. Enjoy the process.

https://www.amazon.com/Preliminary-Exerc...in+Counterpoint

Edited by indigo_dave (06/25/16 08:37 AM)

#2551985 - 06/25/16 12:11 PM Re: question on piano exercise ands learning [Re: iamanders]
Nahum Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Israel
Can formulate it in this way: student sitting near the instrument and explores the music being played, and the process of its performance. Indications of progress: the student finishes the session with a solid feeling that began to better understand the music, and she began to go better. This can happen after an half hour or an hour, or two hours . Sometimes depth work (when the goals are clear) makes play for hours imperceptible for the pianist itself. . There are close goals and distant goals; and they require a different time scale.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Piano Summit 2017 - Join Us!
along with Chick Corea, Jonathan Cain,Set Rudetsky, Ray Chew, Onree Gill ...
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad
Let Your Piano Sing
Let Your Piano Sing
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which one is a better choice?
by Bolster
09/26/16 02:59 AM
Weird change in action
by Retsacnal
09/26/16 02:21 AM
Metronome with wireless earphones
by cathryn999
09/26/16 01:12 AM
Used LX15e or new LX17
by Grandpants
09/25/16 11:43 PM
An empirical comparison of the Roland Fp-30 and Yamaha P-115
by Nishizawa
09/25/16 07:49 PM
Forum Stats
85,069 Registered Members
44 Forums
175,339 Topics
2,558,094 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission