2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
After playing a baby grand at a friend's house last week, I began to think about upgrading from my K-6 to a baby grand.

I am an intermediate player. My son is 8, and is learning fast.

After playing some pianos yesterday evening at a store (Kawai GL-10 and Baldwin BP152 - they were out of the GL-20), and then playing my K-6 this morning, I was reminded of how good my K-6 sounds, relative to even the Baldwin BP152.

When I played this morning, I did not think, "Wow. This sounds like heck compared to that Baldwin, or that GL-10."

There was a difference, but I am not sure it is worth an additional 7,000 dollars out of my pocket (The shop is offering 8K as trade-in for the K-6 and an additional 7K for the Baldwin or GL-20. About 15K total for either). A good deal, I know.

Am I missing something? For 7k more in cash, shouldn't the difference between an upright and a quality baby grand be more noticeable?
Thanks.
Mac

Last edited by pianomise; 06/21/16 01:02 PM.
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
You're not missing anything. For $7k more you get the look of a (baby) stately grand piano. Excellent way to show off to your friends and relatives.

If you're actually more concerned with the sound, a baby grand is not expected to sound much better over your large K6. The strings are not very long thus limiting sound quality, although sound projection to the entire room is probably better and more even.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
No - you're not missing anything. A good quality tall vertical outperforms a lower quality small grand, especially in terms of sound quality and tonal evenness. Generally speaking, the design of a grand action is preferable for repetition and control, however the advantage is mitigated somewhat in very short grand actions, or economy priced models subject to either less careful parts selection or regulation at the factory or dealer levels.

You'd need to step up to probably a Kawai GX2 size/quality level in order to really feel like you took a step up from your K6; of course the Baldwin 190 is also a very nice, reasonably priced grand for its size, too.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianomise
Am I missing something? For 7k more in cash, shouldn't the difference between an upright and a quality baby grand be more noticeable?
Thanks.
Mac
Better quality uprights are a better value proposition than baby grands of approximate quality. It's also true that your 52" upright is effectively bigger than the grands you looked at in terms of design, soundboard, string length, etc.

When comparing new with new, and apples to apples, to get an equivalent quality grand from most mass production companies, the cost for a grand ranges from about 2.2x - 3.5x that of the upright. Translation, if you paid $8k for your piano, you'd have to spend approximately $18k - $26k to get equal quality and the better performance you'd expect in a grand. For Kawai, that means closer to the level of GX, not GL, but certainly not smaller than GL-30.

In our store, our trade up policy includes a minimum of double to be eligible for "full-trade" value for basic reason that if you're not at least doubling your investment, it is hard to establish it as an upgrade rather than a more lateral move for the aesthetic of a grand.

We deviated from our policy last year when one of our customers insisted she wanted a baby grand, but with her budget, she could only reach our entry level. 6 months later, when she was no longer satisfied with the entry level grand, we worked out a lateral trade for a better quality 50" upright and has been happy ever since.

I suggest upping the budget or waiting and saving. Speak to your dealer to know the ins and outs of their tradeup offer, and perhaps checking in from time to time, the right piano will arrive closer to your current budget.

We had a customer that purchased a used Yamaha U3 from us, but was looking to find a grand eventually. She checked in with us from time to time until we started to learn her preferences. Ultimately, she got a great deal on a gently used 5'8" Petrof that we had for $15k, and she still got to use her full trade up from her original purchase with us.

Last edited by PianoWorksATL; 06/21/16 01:19 PM. Reason: clarity

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the great answers.

Looks like I will keep my K-6 until I win the lotto, and can buy a GX.

So...any day now, right.

Mac

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Good luck on the lotto! May also want to keep an eye out for used Kawai RX series, Yamaha C's, etc. etc.

P
OP Offline
P
What do folks think about moving to an RX1 or 2?

Also, is the Kawai GM12 (which I think is being discontinued) below the GL in terms of quality?

Thanks.
Mac

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
A good RX2 or RX3 is a step up (if in very good shape). The RX3 pianos (I played several before getting my grand) are nice instruments, in particular. An RX1, not so much. And the GM series is below the GL, I would not consider them.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
P
OP Offline
P
I see a Kawai RX-2 for $8500 from a local private party ad online.

Made 1999, two owners

Seems to have been well maintained.

Is that price reasonable for an RX-2 in absolute, tip-top shape?

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
That is an excellent price. A new one is over twice as much.

Kawai GM and GL's are a world of difference from the RX series. I'd rather have a GC1 or GC2 from Yamaha. If you can find a Kawai RX-2 or above, seriously consider it in your search. Best of luck, and keep playing those pianos!

JAYBEE
Central Florida
Kawai RX-3
Roland Juno 106, Roland XP-80, Roland FA-06, Roland Jupiter Boutique, Korg DW-8000, Korg R3, Novation K4, Akai Miniak, Yamaha MOX6
P
OP Offline
P
On the subject of used pianos, what do folks think about Boston baby grands?

A local, respectable dealer has two Boston GP-163s.

One GP-163 is ebony satin, built in 1998. One owner. Hardly played. They are asking $8500 plus my K-6 in trade-in.

The other GP-163 is ebony, built in 1994. One owner. Hardly played. They are asking $6000 plus my K-6 in trade-in.

Both pianos are, I am told, in immaculate condition inside and out.

I have not seen them or played them, yet.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Mac

Last edited by pianomise; 06/25/16 04:33 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I feel you will probably be happier spending several thousand to trade up from a quality 52" vertical to a longer piano than what you've mostly been considering, at least sonically.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
P
OP Offline
P
On a side note, how would I go about finding a professional piano tech to take a look at a used RX-2 with me?

Thanks.
Mac

Last edited by pianomise; 06/26/16 11:42 AM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianomise
On a side note, how would I go about finding a professional piano tech to take a look at a used RX-2 with me?

Thanks.
Mac

Hi Mac:
If you post your location, you would probably get recommendations from the members of this forum.

You can also use the Piano Technicians GUild (PTG) website, where you can do a search by zipcode.

http://www.ptg.org/scripts/4disapi.dll/4DCGI/Directory/RPT/Person.html

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
An RX-2 for the same price WITHOUT trading in your K-6 more than beats a smaller Boston no matter what the salesperson says how great they might be.

Kawai builds Boston in case you didn't know that wink

On paper, the RX-2 has neotex keytops and their carbon fiber action. The Boston has a Steinway scale design.

P
OP Offline
P
gnuboi,

Thanks for the comments.

P
OP Offline
P
dogperson,

I am in the Portland, Oregon, area.

Thanks.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission