2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I was looking at some older threads dating back between 2010 and 2013 about keybed issues - clicking noises on certain keys.

Is this still an issue with recently produced models? Or was it corrected in the revised black model?

If I go to check out an ex-demo model, are there any particular things I should look out for, besides checking for clicking noises up and down the keyboard?

Last edited by patthedog; 06/22/16 06:13 AM.
R
R
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm actually interested in taking another swing at this one. I went into a Guitar Center recently and was pleasantly surprised at how solid it felt (keybed) and organic it sounded. Yeah I know there are loops and stretching, but the interface and overall package would be welcomed on a gig if all I needed were AP's and EP's. I'm interested in the 73 key version for the compactness. I do know there have been troubles connecting the SV-1 and editor software with newer macs. I'm curious if anyone has had this problem resolved. I really feel the editor software is a necessity when setting up custom presets, plus for downloading the sound packs available. An users using the SV-1 please chime in. Thanks!

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I bought a black SV-1 73 back in mid 2013 I sold it earlier this year only because I needed the cash. I regret selling it! It never had any issues at all. But I always stored it horizontally when not gigging. I kept it a case and laid it horizontally keys pointing down. Also if you buy one get the case! Because of the odd shape most non-korg cases. Great electric piano sounds, nice interface and the 73 isn't too heavy. The acoustic piano sounds good in the mix especially for classic rock. I never used the editor! The interface is dead simple, tweak the knobs till you get the sound you want. Then hold one of the preset buttons down for a few seconds to save.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I had a run with two of them, about 16 months apart, years ago when they first came out. In the end the APs and their too short decay and sustain basically made the SV1 unusable for me and what I mostly do. I do agree that the APs sound excellent in a more rock, funk, blues, and even more aggressive jazz contexts, then trying to emulate an acoustic in the traditional jazz trio format.

But the Rhodes (although I'm not a huge EP aficionado) still sounded probably the best in any keyboard I've used live.

I've heard few to zero complaints about the newer "black" generation keybed issues that plagued them in the past. My first one exhibited no problems but the second one did.

I've considered yet another one - third time's a charm- the 88, but I have GAS in other areas that supersede it. grin

A friend, a very good player, just bought one and couldn't be happier. EP solo starts @ 5:30.

R
R
Yeah I ended up ordering a 73 key version, should be here by tomorrow. Dave about the acoustic pianos and their short decay, I know what you're talking about. However I've heard good things about the soundpack # 2. That's why I'm hoping that the editor works with my newer Mac, so I can download the programs from that sound pack into the SV-1. We'll see how everything goes when it arrives. I hope this works out, because honestly I've been all over the place with digital keyboards and just can't get a vibe with most of them. I have an acoustic and a Rhodes, but I'm not gigging those (at least the Rhodes, lol), so I'm looking for an inspiring alternative. I'm hoping that the complete package of the SV-1 gets the mojo going. I'll post my impressions when it arrives.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I bought my second SV-1 specifically because the sound pack 2 pianos came out. I tried them, they were an improvement but still the keyboard as an acoustic piano emulation, live in a more jazz context, wasn't doing it for me.

I think if one came at this keyboard from the aspect of rhodes first, wurlitzer EP second and ac. piano a distant third, it might be a more positive experience.

I agree about trying everything and in the end nothing really moves you. You get used to a good acoustic, a good sounding and playing rhodes , or you have a B3 at your home. After all that, it seems all the digital emulations sound thin, don't quite respond how you want them to and are just plain uninspiring.

The CP4 still gets me the closest for what I do but even often playing that these days, I just get tired of being on a digital piano live. frown I definitely play and sound better on even a mediocre small grand. wink

In any case, yes, let me know how you fare with SV1. smile

R
R
Got it today and so far so good. Solid build, solid tight action and the editor even works with my newer Mac. I immediately mixed and matched some of the factory sounds as well as the soundpack sounds and I'm pretty happy. Soundpack 2 certainly improved the AP's. Of course I wouldn't make this my first choice if all I were doing was playing AP's. But the AP's are quite organic and nice to have them in addition to the fabulous vintage EP's. All in all I'm happy with this second time around! Can't wait to gig it!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
quoting Kbeaumont- bought a black SV-1 73 back in mid 2013 I sold it earlier this year only because I needed the cash. I regret selling it! It never had any issues at all. But I always stored it horizontally....end quote

OT and a newby question but would like to know, what is the benefit of storing a piano with keys pointing down ( i take this to mean a portable is placed with its front edge on the floor/shelf) and why is this orientation referred to as "horizontal"?

Is this just a way to minimize intrusion of dust when piano is unused for extended time?

Last edited by drewrst; 06/26/16 08:38 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
M
M
Originally Posted by drewrst
quoting Kbeaumont- bought a black SV-1 73 back in mid 2013 I sold it earlier this year only because I needed the cash. I regret selling it! It never had any issues at all. But I always stored it horizontally....end quote

OT and a newby question but would like to know, what is the benefit of storing a piano with keys pointing down ( i take this to mean a portable is placed with its front edge on the floor/shelf) and why is this orientation referred to as "horizontal"?

Is this just a way to minimize intrusion of dust when piano is unused for extended time?

There used to be an issue with the Korg SV1 keybeds, and one of the problems was caused by vertical storage.
That issue was only really on the first release of SV-1s. They do not have that problem anymore.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Keys down is because that's the way it fits in the case if you want the handle off the floor.
I really don't think mine suffered any of problems the original (2012) boards had. But I always store my boards horizontally. Reason being is if you store the piano on its side the weight of each key is naturally causing a force down to the next key. Each key is on a pivot so I figure the constant sideways force of gravity can be good on the mechanism. I came to this conclusion because I had two old Yamaha boards (MO8) one sat vertically in the case against the wall and was used for gigs, the one stayed at home on a stand. Guess which one had dead keys after a couple of years. The vertical one and I played it the least. The other was played daily for years. The one that failed had never had any bumps or jars while transporting. The one at home had my grand-kids hammering on them and I was always cleaning the keys!

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission