Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
58 registered (AndrewJCW, augustm, barbaram, AntonJ, alwatson, 11 invisible), 1226 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2552448 - 06/27/16 02:28 PM And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . .
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
The jungle drums start up. . .as we wait with bated breath!

Or not. How important is this to you when you put your hands in your pocket?

""

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2552452 - 06/27/16 02:47 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
Ozan Offline

Loc: Holland
I just care about 2 things, well 3, actually: touch, sound & speakers.
I dont care if it looks like a coffin, i'd still practise/play on it smile

I dont know if the looks of an digital, or any piano for that matter, is going to make you somehow a better player ... i mean it could, weirder stuff have happend throughout the history. Maybe its all in the head smile

#2552454 - 06/27/16 02:54 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
It depends. Man cave, studio or living room. Spouse has a say or not. Beauty is in the eye of .. etc.

I don't mind most stage pianos, but most DP consoles look like piano runts and are just plain ugly to my eye. Plastic veneer wood lookalike, yuck. I used to have one too.

There are plenty of exceptions though such as the N2/3, maybe the Casio GBP, the Roland LX and Kawi CS, and I like the Roland Kiyola at least from the photos. It was a factor in my last purchase.

#2552476 - 06/27/16 04:24 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Twin Cities
Though it wasn't the most important consideration, this does look great in my living room...

www.roland.com/products/v-piano_grand

Tony

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2552480 - 06/27/16 04:31 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Avant Grand N3, no?

#2552482 - 06/27/16 04:32 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

On the opposite side of the specrum... Roland KF-10?

Although, going with a blue tooth pedal would have let them get rid of that cable on the triple pedal. But then... how to get power to the piano.... it also has an external PSU. screws the look all up.

#2552485 - 06/27/16 04:41 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
I don't own one and never have, but I like those red pianos.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2552487 - 06/27/16 04:49 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
bennevis Offline
8000 Post Club Member

If someone had told me at the beginning of 2010 that I would, within a few months, buy a "piano" that didn't look like any piano I'd ever touched with a barge pole, I'd have told him/her to take a walk (= "hike" in USA).

And I ended up with a big black slab with a blue lights and space-age LED display that didn't look like any piano I'd ever touched with a barge pole. cry

Sometimes, you just have to throw your prejudices and preconceptions out of the high-rise window (as high as you can manage) in the interests of performance, and what really matters.......

Incidentally, I also discovered in the course of my research that the best-looking digitals (i.e. the ones that look like real pianos) are the most uncomfortable to play, with pedals that are too far forward, cramping my style (and I have a lot of style to cramp..... wink ). Whereas with a slab like mine, I can place the pedal unit in the same relative horizontal distance behind the keyboard as one would get on a concert grand, thus making it easy to practice on my digital and then perform on a grand.

#2552516 - 06/27/16 07:47 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: ElmerJFudd]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Originally Posted By ElmerJFudd
On the opposite side of the specrum... Roland KF-10?

Although, going with a blue tooth pedal would have let them get rid of that cable on the triple pedal. But then... how to get power to the piano.... it also has an external PSU. screws the look all up.

Oooh, I like this a lot! I've never seen it before but it's quite nice.

I have a Yamaha Arius 160, it looks ok IMO but there's something about the look of DPs of this type that I've never really liked. They're too short, and whenever I see a photo of someone sitting at one, it looks all out of proportion. Like when your Dad rides your three year old brother's tricycle.

I know this is about digitals, but can I add that I also have an acoustic, it's one of those "European" style uprights (Petrof) that doesn't have front legs. When I was trying to decide what to buy, I was choosing between this and a traditional Baldwin upright. I have always disliked the legless look and had already made up my mind that I wasn't going to get this Petrof. But then I played' and the rest, as they say, is history .... I've come to like how it looks, mostly, because I liked the sound and the feel of the action much more than the Baldwin. So ultimately I chose based on sound and touch rather than looks.

#2552517 - 06/27/16 07:48 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
In terms of 'traditional appearance', I would argue that the upright piano cabinet used by the CS9/CS10/CS11 is rather handsome:

However, for sheer 'want!' factor, the Nord Electro 5D is among my personal favourites:

Cheers,
James
x

EDIT: Thanks to Virgo Cluster for sharing the lovely picture.

Edited by Kawai James (06/28/16 03:38 AM)
Edit Reason: Picture credit

#2552518 - 06/27/16 07:51 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh, that's lovely Kawai James! I love the clean lines of a nice looking upright (with front legs). My acoustic when I lived in Japan was a Yamaha U1, so taller than this upright, but the same overall look, and black as well. Ahhh I miss that piano. Sigh.

Edited by ShiroKuro (06/27/16 07:57 PM)

#2552520 - 06/27/16 07:53 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: ElmerJFudd]

Although, going with a blue tooth pedal would have let them get rid of that cable on the triple pedal. But then... how to get power to the piano....

Perhaps an AA battery could have provided the pedal unit's power source? I was a little surprised Roland did not implement this for the Kiyola, given the concept of the instrument.

Cheers,
James
x

#2552527 - 06/27/16 08:09 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah, looking at promo shots on their site and all the live video of the concept being made... getting rid of the triple pedal cable or hiding it somehow would have really completed the vibe... that and hiding the external PSU somehow... heck, even having it wood colored to match, something.

On the Nord Electro 5D - really nice for a lightweight gigging board if organ is primary - I don't care for the Fatar TP-8O on it in general, but especially not for playing acoustic and electric piano. But, this board would be generally attractive to me if they included the synth engine off the Stage 2 - even if they had to drop the piano section to do it. Awesome tier two board over a stage piano if it had the Organ, Synth, and Sample player. All that aside - red aluminum can be quite sexy in keyboard tech. thumb

#2552598 - 06/28/16 03:24 AM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: Kawai James]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Kawai James
In terms of 'traditional appearance', I would argue that the upright piano cabinet used by the CS9/CS10/CS11 is rather handsome:

However, for sheer 'want!' factor, the Nord Electro 5D is among my personal favourites:

Cheers,
James
x

Agree on the CS piano. Roland's similar efforts produce a too vertical music stand (very important imo) and Casio's GPs have a music stand that looks like an afterthought. I would not buy it for that reason alone. . .and the pedals also need to be positioned correctly.
All this helps a piano to look right, too. Imo. . .

""

#2552616 - 06/28/16 07:37 AM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Peterws, can you give a model number/name for the Roland's you're referring to? I'm curious about how their appearance compares the the Kawai CS (music stand and otherwise)

#2552626 - 06/28/16 08:41 AM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
barbaram Online   content

500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By peterws
How important is this to you when you put your hands in your pocket?

I would have said not very. But somewhat to my surprise I sprung for a CS8 last week rather than the CA67.
It'll be delivered late this week/early next week - can't wait!

#2552629 - 06/28/16 09:10 AM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: ShiroKuro]
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By ShiroKuro
Peterws, can you give a model number/name for the Roland's you're referring to? I'm curious about how their appearance compares the the Kawai CS (music stand and otherwise)

http://www.roland.com/categories/pianos/premium_upright_pianos/

LX-17 / 7 and HP-6xx

#2552632 - 06/28/16 09:29 AM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

ooh I see what you mean, the Roland LX-17 is *very* vertical. It's interesting because it's only a subtle difference, but the Kawai CS is much more attractive IMO.

#2552645 - 06/28/16 10:51 AM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
login Offline

As said above it depends on where it will be used, if in the home living room the looks may count a lot more. Then it would have to fit the rest of the furniture. I love minimalism So something like the KF10 or the Kawai ES8 are my favorites.

Personally I don't like digital pianos to be grand like or as big verticals, it is (to me) a total waste of space.

#2552648 - 06/28/16 11:10 AM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: login]
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By login
As said above it depends on where it will be used, if in the home living room the looks may count a lot more. Then it would have to fit the rest of the furniture. I love minimalism So something like the KF10 or the Kawai ES8 are my favorites.

Personally I don't like digital pianos to be grand like or as big verticals, it is (to me) a total waste of space.

Unless the space is used for better amplification and speaker types and positioning.

#2552649 - 06/28/16 11:11 AM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
CyberGene Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
To me Kawai CS 9/10/11 is the winner, because it uses real acoustic cabinet and nothing will tell you it's not a real piano (unless you play them of course... I'm just kidding, James, I haven't played one and I am sure it's very good, etc. wink ). AvantGrand N3 is close but when you open it, which is something you'd usually do, there's this weird flat board with the speaker holes and that immediately makes it look like an electronic instrument.

All that being said and despite the fact I am crazy about design, I am not sure if I would spend extra cash on just a fancy cabinet on a digital piano. It's a digital piano and nothing would change that fact, so no need to conceal that. If I had enough money to afford whatever I like, I'd go with an acoustic grand, not a fancy looking digital piano smile

Edited by CyberGene (06/28/16 05:51 PM)

#2552676 - 06/28/16 01:43 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have always dreamed of removing the innards of an antique art case grand piano and replacing it with better actions, electronics, speakers, etc. Nothing beats the look.

#2552690 - 06/28/16 02:19 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
guyl Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Then there is always the idea of building your own cabinet...

#2552700 - 06/28/16 03:06 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, IMHO the best looking is... Kawai MP7. Cheers!.

#2552737 - 06/28/16 05:03 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: peterws]
Jay Roland Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edmonton Alberta
^^^ im not surprised by this....

Yes....the new Roland HP and LX Pianos are STILL in fact modelled.

#2552739 - 06/28/16 05:13 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: Jay Roland]
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Jay Roland

LOL help

#2552769 - 06/28/16 07:50 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: ElmerJFudd]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

And how about the Casio PX series? Just think how good they'd look with a coat or two of decent wallpaper emulsion. . .Dusky Green, or Tangerine Promise . . .the mind boggles! .

""

#2552773 - 06/28/16 07:56 PM Re: And .. . The Best Looking Digital is. . . [Re: ElmerJFudd]

Originally Posted By Jay Roland

LOL help

Yeah, it was a predictable response from Fer.

However, the MP7 is undoubtedly a well designed board - I was totally bowled over when I saw the first prototypes.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Italy Members - Please Check In
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Calculator Looks Like Piano Keyboard
Calculator that looks like a piano keyboard
Piano Keyboard Calculator

New in the Piano World online store (PianoSupplies.com) now.
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Helping you become a better player
(ad)
Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
inexpensive tuning apps
by stevenpn
08/25/16 04:14 AM
Public Domain Teaching Methods
by stevenpn
08/25/16 03:44 AM
The scale of difference
by peterws
08/25/16 03:41 AM
Program crafting
by justarobert
08/25/16 02:38 AM
Guide mains/French translation needed
by Molto lombardo
08/25/16 01:33 AM
Forum Stats
84,760 Registered Members
44 Forums
174,731 Topics
2,550,149 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission