2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Davdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Dear all,

I am newly registered here, although I have been helped greatly by browsing the forums. I am looking at upgrading our second piano (actually the one we got first), a Yamaha GB1, with something that can work better with our first piano when playing two-piano pieces. Several possibilities have been sitting in my mind. One factor that I have been thinking also was that the only time of the day I can reasonably practice would be in the late evening, when the kids are already in bed. So a silent option would be very helpful. I do not need the player function.

I have been thinking about either 1) getting a regular acoustic piano, plus a digital piano/keyboard etc.; or 2) getting a silent grand. It appears that only Yamaha does the factory-installed option (Kawai's AnyTime grands do not seem available in US). The problem is, it is almost impossible to come across a Yamaha Silent Grand in dealers near where I live, although they do have quotes available.

A few years ago I think I played one of their upright silent (with SH I believe) and I think I am ok with the sound. I am wondering whether anyone on this forum has actually played, or owned, Yamaha's Silent Grand, especially their newer series (CX), and can provide their insight on the keyboard's touch. From my experience with their silent upright, I felt no difference between the acoustic mode and the silent mode. But in terms of the grands: is there any noticeable difference between their "regular" acoustic grands, versus the silent grand, under acoustic modes? That is, for example, does C3X feel different than C3X SH under acoustic mode?

BTW I am no stranger to Yamaha pianos; as a kid my parents were nice enough to provide me first with an upright then a C5 (of the early 1990s), plus some other school instruments. I recently visited our local dealer's showroom and played C3X, C6X, C7X, and actually fortunately enough to play the elusive CF6, and one of their concert rental CFX. Thus I am fairly familiar with a typical Yamaha action. Still the thought of not trying on a product somewhat unfamiliar is a bit scary.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Davdoc; 06/26/16 08:24 AM.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
O
O
I played a couple of C2X (with/without silent), and could not detect any differences, but I'm hardly an experienced player. The same goes for C3/C3S (I did find some differences between more recent C3, say 2000 and more recent, and older ones - all without silent system fitted, though of course there the maintenance/condition will have an impact). The dealers insist there actually is no touch/action difference, but clearly they do have a vested interest.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
There shouldn't be any different in acoustic mode. A silent piano is a normal piano with digital add-ons that do not affect normal acoustic play. In silent mode the hammers are blocked from the strings and sensors are used to tell the computer which pre-recorded samples from a concert grand to play to your headphones.

I thought about silent pianos before but I found out later that the whole family (even babies, or should I say, esp. babies) sleep just fine with piano practice in the background.

If you like your GB1 and would rather keep it, you could also consider an upright digital hybrid for headphone playing. Those with large polished ebony cabinets look just like the real thing.

D
Davdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you, oldmancoyote.

2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

D
Davdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you, gnuboi. The reason I asked was that, I believe in the past on this forum, silent mechanisms would have to adjust some part of the action that would make playing pianissimo more challenging. Apparently newer systems fixed that.

I am also happy for you that your whole family would sleep just fine with your practice. This honestly is impossible in my household, not even with the GB1 (let alone the Model A).

Speaking of GB1, we actually don't particularly like it. It certainly served us ok for quite a few years now; we got it because that was what we could afford, space/finance wise. And for its size I think it does an ok job in sound it produces. I am looking to replace it in the near future. Options I have been considering are as in my original post. I am keeping it for now because it allows us to play piano duo, but 2-piano works also highlight/exaggerate the difference between the pianos. Getting a cabinet-style (or even those mini-grand) digital piano would take up too much space.

2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I always tell people that the add on systems that offer silent play will change the feel of the action just a bit when they are engaged. This is something that you will feel if you are a sensitive player - maybe just a little, but you will feel it.

While I have only played the Yamaha Silent systems on grands at NAMM, my impression was that there was not the same change in the feel that I experienced in add on systems.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Enjoy your search.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I always tell people that the add on systems that offer silent play will change the feel of the action just a bit when they are engaged. This is something that you will feel if you are a sensitive player - maybe just a little, but you will feel it.

While I have only played the Yamaha Silent systems on grands at NAMM, my impression was that there was not the same change in the feel that I experienced in add on systems.

Rick is quite right. When I first started playing (I got my silent/acoustic after only 10 months of playing piano) I really didn't notice the difference much at all. Now, almost six years later, I do notice some difference. Not a lot but some.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

D
Davdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Thank you Rich. From what you said, did you mean by the Yamaha Silent grands do not have the change at all, or the change of touch is just different from add-on systems (I assume that means aftermarket system like PianoDisc etc.?)

2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
There is still a difference between a piano with silent system and one without. Factory install or not only makes a difference if the add-on system installer (the tech) is not doing it often and carefully.

If you look for it carefully, you will find a difference in touch/action between a new piano with and a new piano without silent function. Reason is that the hammers have to be slightly further away from the strings so that the blocking mechanism can be placed. This gives slightly less control and a slight difference in touch.

If that ever will have an impact on your playing... who knows. But in any case, the silent mechanism can always be removed and then the action adjusted, no matter of factory installed or not.

I am a beginner and I can feel the difference in a blind test :-), but only if I feel for it. And of course at my stage there is no difference in my playing... But not having a silent function would keep me from practicing at certain times, so I would always buy a piano with one.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission