Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Ad
Let Your Piano Sing
Let Your Piano Sing
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
135 registered (agraffe, ajames, ALEXANDER DYKER, 36 invisible), 2215 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2552740 - 06/28/16 05:18 PM I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose?
lsal1 Offline

Loc: United States
Hello all! I currently use a Yamaha P-155 that I've had for years, and used for church that I attend for their youth group as well as traveling worship nights/services and as I am currently going to college I was thinking of upgrading my keyboard, as I've found that the sounds on that piano aren't adequate enough for my needs in a modern worship setting (though I love the grand piano sound), as I believe I'll soon be doing more worship stuff and traveling for things. My goal is to one day have a setup with a bunch of vintage organs, and electric pianos, as well as a good stage piano and a midi controller. But today, I'm focused on a good stage piano that has good GP sounds and good EP sounds (Rhodes?) as well as synths, pads, and strings, and obviously doesn't break the bank and has good touch.

I've looked at a few stage pianos, here they are:

Yamaha CP300
Korg SV1
Kawai MP6
Kawai MP8 (Found a used one for $670)
Casio PX-5S (Found a used one for $800)
Roland FP-7F (Used $805)

I really like the Yamaha CP300, the only thing is, I know the Casio has more sounds that I might use, as well as the Casio does have the individual knobs I can assign. The Korg has the vintage feel/look as well as the onboard effects. I don't know enough about the Kawai (I love Kawai AP though, so maybe that translates into their DP as well) or the Roland. Depending on which one I choose would let me know whether or not I can buy new or used. I have about $950 cash to spend (like i said, I just graduated high school) and I would be selling my P-155 (I'll miss it so much though) so maybe a total of around $1450 if I am lucky.

Also I have tried using MIDI and DAWS (Like MainStage and Ableton) but I found their sounds to be lacking (I've never purchased third party sounds and imported them, just used the ones that came with the software) as well as they have a lot of lag when playing live, and it is just too much for me to have to worry about (unless I find software that works, I have a Macbook Pro Retina 2013 so the computer isn't the issue)

Anyone have any input on which one to choose/price/differences between each one? Whichever one I choose I will be taking to college with me as well!
Thank you so much in advance!

Edited by lsal1 (06/28/16 05:47 PM)

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2552775 - 06/28/16 08:09 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
lsal1, welcome to the forum.

Given the emphasis on travelling, I would suggest that portability is a factor. If so, I would perhaps rule-out the heavier CP300 and MP8 (great boards that they are). The SV1 has some excellent vintage EP sounds, but its acoustic pianos are seemingly less popular. The MP6 is a very capable board with lots of sounds, a good action, and strong MIDI/controller functionality. The FP-7F is also a decent board, but may not offer too much more than your existing P155. This leaves the PX-5S - very lightweight, versatile board, good action, reasonably good sounds (but lots of user-created content)...that would probably be my pick of the bunch.

Another one worth considering might be the RD-300NX, if available second hand. There is also the Kawai MP7, however this will likely exceed your budget, unless you will be able to source a second hand board.

I was a little surprised to read that you found the sounds of MainStage and Ableton to be inferior to be lacing (inferior to those built into your P155?). Latency can be an issue, but is usually associated with Windows PCs than Macs, and your 2013 Macbook should be able to handle this kind of thing pretty well.

Another option perhaps worth considering is to stick with the P155 and use an iPad running some of the better iOS apps (Korg Module, Galileo Organ, Neo-Soul Keys, etc.) to augment the sounds you find to be lacking. It's less 'clean' than an all-in-one instrument, but can work well.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
James
x

#2552784 - 06/28/16 08:37 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Charles Cohen Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
FWIW:

When I was looking at DP's, a few years ago (I ended up with my PX-350), I test-played an FP-7F:

. . . Its action and sound were both _very_ impressive.

If I'd been able to buy one for $800, I'd have been very happy. I didn't listen to the EP and organ sounds, just the piano.

I think the CP-300 is quite old, now; you can probably do better.

I haven't played on (or with) a PX5s. Its action is the same as my PX-350, and (IMHO) about on par with the P155. But the sounds are much more tailorable, and you have a full-scale synth engine to play with, and an adjustable drawbar-organ simulator.

KJ wrote:
Quote:
Another option perhaps worth considering is to stick with the P155 and use an iPad running some of the better iOS apps (Korg Module, Galileo Organ, Neo-Soul Keys, etc.) to augment the sounds you find to be lacking. It's less 'clean' than an all-in-one instrument, but can work well.

This is a good idea. Download a trial (free) version of Pianoteq (some notes don't work, and I like the Bluthner model, at extra cost), and a trial (one month, I think) of Lounge Lizard (for Rhodes / Wurli sounds), and one of the Hammond simulations ("Galileo" is cheap, and tonewheel simulations should be near-perfect).

The P155 is a nice DP. Keep the action, and replace the sound generator with upgradeable software.

#2552804 - 06/28/16 10:33 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: Kawai James]
lsal1 Offline

Originally Posted By Kawai James

Given the emphasis on travelling, I would suggest that portability is a factor. If so, I would perhaps rule-out the heavier CP300 and MP8 (great boards that they are). The SV1 has some excellent vintage EP sounds, but its acoustic pianos are seemingly less popular. The MP6 is a very capable board with lots of sounds, a good action, and strong MIDI/controller functionality. The FP-7F is also a decent board, but may not offer too much more than your existing P155. This leaves the PX-5S - very lightweight, versatile board, good action, reasonably good sounds (but lots of user-created content)...that would probably be my pick of the bunch.

Another one worth considering might be the RD-300NX, if available second hand. There is also the Kawai MP7, however this will likely exceed your budget, unless you will be able to source a second hand board.

Weight isn't necessarily an issue for me (I'm used to lifting heavy objects) so the CP300 and MP8 are still on my radar. I've never liked Korg's AP sounds as much as their EP sounds so that might be a deal breaker for the SV1. The problem with the MP6 is finding one haha! I love Kawai! I looked up the RD-300NX, the one concern is that I have played the RD-800 and didn't seem to like the action or the AP sounds (AT ALL). That may be my preference, I like a booming, punchy, but full AP sound from a Yamaha Grand or Kawai. How does the PX-5S hold up? In comparison to the CP300 and the rest of them?

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2552883 - 06/29/16 09:41 AM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Doug M. Offline

Originally Posted By lsal1
Hello all! I currently use a Yamaha P-155 that I've had for years, and used for church that I attend for their youth group as well as traveling worship nights/services and as I am currently going to college I was thinking of upgrading my keyboard, as I've found that the sounds on that piano aren't adequate enough for my needs in a modern worship setting (though I love the grand piano sound), as I believe I'll soon be doing more worship stuff and traveling for things. My goal is to one day have a setup with a bunch of vintage organs, and electric pianos, as well as a good stage piano and a midi controller. But today, I'm focused on a good stage piano that has good GP sounds and good EP sounds (Rhodes?) as well as synths, pads, and strings, and obviously doesn't break the bank and has good touch.

Yamaha CP300
Korg SV1
Kawai MP6
Roland FP-7F (Used $805)

I really like the Yamaha CP300, the only thing is, I know the Casio has more sounds that I might use, as well as the Casio does have the individual knobs I can assign. The Korg has the vintage feel/look as well as the onboard effects. I don't know enough about the Kawai (I love Kawai AP though, so maybe that translates into their DP as well) or the Roland. Depending on which one I choose would let me know whether or not I can buy new or used. I have about $950 cash to spend (like i said, I just graduated high school) and I would be selling my P-155 (I'll miss it so much though) so maybe a total of around $1450 if I am lucky.

Also I have tried using MIDI and DAWS (Like MainStage and Ableton) but I found their sounds to be lacking (I've never purchased third party sounds and imported them, just used the ones that came with the software) as well as they have a lot of lag when playing live, and it is just too much for me to have to worry about (unless I find software that works, I have a Macbook Pro Retina 2013 so the computer isn't the issue)

Anyone have any input on which one to choose/price/differences between each one? Whichever one I choose I will be taking to college with me as well!

If you can get a second hand Kurzweil Artis, they have some mega organ sounds (best in any of the stage piano's I've heard). The artis has a good piano sample (comparable to the Kawai/Roland/Yamaha), and the EP's are impressive. Only issue with the Artis is it comes with a Fatar action which isn't as good as the RD800 action. The Kurzweil Artis SE (lighter board, less sounds) can be brought new for $1,315.60 on ebay.

More up-to date than the PX-5S is the Casio Privia Pro PX 560 or PX360: can get bundles for the 560 for $1335.

If you were going to go for the SV-1 plus VST, that would mean that you have no issue with the Fatar action in the Artis, hence, I'd take that instead. The Artis won't breakdown: the SV-1 has had it's build quality issues.

The MP6/8 and CP300 are old boards with lower sound quality and older actions; however, if you will use a VST, the action is the only issue. Really, the PX-5S is a synth/stage piano cross. You can get hex layers in the 560/360, and they also support half-pedaling, whereas the PX-5S doesn't.

If all you want is great action, AP's, EP's, and Organs, you could go for the Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq (AP's/EP's) or Ivory II for AP's plus Lounge Lizard, Scarbee, Acousticsamples Mark79, and Neo-Soul Keys etc. for EP's... plus something like VB3 The Ultimate Virtual Tonewheel Organ for your organ sounds.

If you don't mind only 73 keys, you could get the Korg KRONOS X 73-Key (one one ebay second hand for $1,125.00).

The Kawai MP7 is within your $1400 range, but you still have to get speakers to gig with. As you didn't like the RD800, I rather think you might prefer the Kawai's with VST support for modeled sounds.

Edited by Doug M. (06/29/16 09:45 AM)

#2552900 - 06/29/16 11:13 AM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Isal1, if you tried the roland RD800 and the key action is not for you at all, then I could suggest to you than try the Kawai MP7; because IMHO, has a better key action... the sound is not really a priority for me, because for that concern i could find the VST that best suits for my situation at the time, but the key action remain unchanged. My suggestion is then, look for the best key action that you can afford... and for me Kawai the RHII/III plastic actions are Unbeatable for the price!. Regards!.

#2552937 - 06/29/16 01:21 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.

Yamaha CP300
Korg SV1
Kawai MP6
Roland FP-7F (Used $805)

Now, who is it you worship? Might be an idea to find out his requirements concerning this. Your elders or fellows should be able to point the way ahead. . .you really don't need to ask us, although some of us have played or are playing still, for worship. I would have to keep it simple and foolproof. You don't want stuff breaking down.

""

#2552961 - 06/29/16 03:15 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: peterws]
lsal1 Offline

In reply to peterws:

Not a man if thats what you're asking! I worship the one true living Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Edited by lsal1 (06/29/16 03:16 PM)

#2552965 - 06/29/16 03:29 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: Doug M.]
lsal1 Offline

I went into my local music store, and tried one of the Casio's (didn't get a product number) and I was surprised by the feel (although a little weak) and the tones of the piano and the options. I also was surprised by the sound and feel of the DGX-660, but it doesn't have the editing options I prefer (unless its hidden in menus). If I were to get either of those I could keep my P-155 and have a double stage piano setup which might be interesting...I also would prefer to have a good upright piano sample option as well if possible. Thank you all for the help so far!

#2552972 - 06/29/16 04:09 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sweden
Maybe Peterws was suggesting you'd seek the Lord in this matter, and ask Him to help you decide? Well, why not? Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you. - 1. Peter 5:7.

Still, I think the advice given so far, are all good options, the Kawai MP7, Casio PX5S/PX560, RD800, and all the other ones, not necessarily in that order. Pairing the P155 with an iPad + apps, sounds very interesting.

The good Lord might point you to one of these options, or something not mentioned so far! Good luck in your search.

Edited by TheodorN (06/29/16 04:10 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

#2552986 - 06/29/16 05:34 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Pete14 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I asked the good Lord for last night's lottery numbers, yet here I am, still waiting for an answer. Of course, if he did get back to me today, he'd be off by one day. No one gets paid for yesterday's numbers.
I'd recommend reaching out to an angel regarding earthly matters; the good Lord is simply too busy. If it's an emergency, call 911!

#2553115 - 06/30/16 11:12 AM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
lsal1 Offline

The Kawai MP6/MP7 have both caught my eye and both seem to seem like exactly what I'm looking for...I found a good condition (near mint) MP6 for a little over $1000, and a mint condition MP7 a little over $1400, I honestly like the the MP7 better, but now its seeming to be a little out of my price range, despite my original statement. AHH how I wish I could get the MP7! Anyone know someone who is selling theirs? Thank you all so much for the comments so far!

#2553127 - 06/30/16 11:54 AM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Doug M. Offline

The Kawai MP6/MP7 have both caught my eye and both seem to seem like exactly what I'm looking for...I found a good condition (near mint) MP6 for a little over $1000, and a mint condition MP7 a little over $1400, I honestly like the the MP7 better, but now its seeming to be a little out of my price range, despite my original statement. AHH how I wish I could get the MP7! Anyone know someone who is selling theirs? Thank you all so much for the comments so far!

Worth saving up the extra me thinks, even if it takes a few months of evening work to afford...

#2553128 - 06/30/16 12:00 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

In reply to peterws:

Not a man if thats what you're asking! I worship the one true living Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Apologies friend. Just thought that Jesus would be the first (and last) port of call. . .I should shut up more often. .. .!

""

#2553130 - 06/30/16 12:03 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: Doug M.]
lsal1 Offline

Originally Posted By Doug M.

Worth saving up the extra me thinks, even if it takes a few months of evening work to afford...

Well the problem is, I go off to college in about a month, and my college is located in a small town (with hardly any jobs as it is) and I doubt someone would want to hire someone to work for a month...but ya never know. I work at my local church and do other odd jobs (mow lawns regularly for example), and by the time I get to college I would be doing live stuff and would need the upgraded hardware then.

#2553131 - 06/30/16 12:07 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: Pete14]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Pete14
I asked the good Lord for last night's lottery numbers, yet here I am, still waiting for an answer. Of course, if he did get back to me today, he'd be off by one day. No one gets paid for yesterday's numbers.
I'd recommend reaching out to an angel regarding earthly matters; the good Lord is simply too busy. If it's an emergency, call 911!

The Lord asked me once, returning home from a house church meeting "What is it you want out of this life?"
Being caught off guard, I could only think "Another car, please" because the one I drove had pretty much had it.
Few days later, I crashed it. . .. eek True.

Edited by peterws (06/30/16 12:08 PM)

""

#2553135 - 06/30/16 12:27 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: peterws]
lsal1 Offline

Originally Posted By peterws
In reply to peterws:

Apologies friend. Just thought that Jesus would be the first (and last) port of call. . .I should shut up more often. .. .!

No sir you're all good! Glad we're on the same page!

#2553150 - 06/30/16 12:58 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Don't think this has been covered so I'll ask...what amp/speakers do you use? Do you use the P155's onboard speakers and, if so, are they sufficient for your needs?

It needs consideration because all the others you're talking about will need external amplification, even for lowish level monitoring.

I'm surprised you find the P155's sounds inadequate for 'modern worship' but of course everyone's needs are unique to them. Modern worship to me implies every person present clapping, signing and banging tambourines and the like and so I can't imagine the nuance of the onboard sounds matters to your audience anywhere near as much as you might imagine.

The Yamaha CP300 features similar grand piano sounds to your P155 but there's a lot more alternative sounds. And it might be worth bearing in mind that the onboard speakers on the CP300 are epically good. Great for on-stage monitoring but also probably enough to fill a decent sized room without additional amplification. The action is the same as P155's I think (Yamaha GH action). The CP300 is a beast to haul around but is the only stage piano to this day that has really good onboard speakers. I often think for certain specific requirements it's still the best of its kind.

Good luck in your search for the right piano.

Steve

#2553210 - 06/30/16 03:56 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Pete14 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I agree on the CP300. It was released 10 years ago, and still Yamaha has not discontinued it. The CP300 surpasses many of today's slab keyboards with on-board speakers; that's why it's so expensive.
For example, the newish ES8 uses a 15 watt -per channel- amp; the CP300 boasts 30 watts per channel, and I believe, bigger speakers. Yamaha went all in/out on this instrument. The P255 doesn't even come close despite its newer samples and synthetic ivory keys.

#2553221 - 06/30/16 04:28 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Kawai MP7, the best miles ahead...!. Cheers!.

#2553271 - 06/30/16 07:08 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: Fer De Armas]
lsal1 Offline

Originally Posted By Fer De Armas

Thats the one I want! The problem is, since I am a college student, the MP7 is priced a little high for my budget, and even then a few used ones are a little pushing it....even though I would prefer to get a new stage piano before this fall semester!

#2553275 - 06/30/16 07:41 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: EssBrace]
AndrewJCW Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Originally Posted By EssBrace
Don't think this has been covered so I'll ask...what amp/speakers do you use? Do you use the P155's onboard speakers and, if so, are they sufficient for your need?

It needs consideration because all the others you're talking about will need external amplification, even for lowish level monitoring.

I'm surprised you find the P155's sounds inadequate for 'modern worship' but of course everyone's needs are unique to them. Modern worship to me implies every person present clapping, signing and banging tambourines and the like and so I can't imagine the nuance of the onboard sounds matters to your audience anywhere near as much as you might imagine.

Modern worship covers a while range of styles but you can basically think of it as pop, with a lot of slow open sound as well as full choruses. The keyboard player will often be playing synth/pads to fill out the sound, also playing acoustic piano. Rhodes and organ (Hammond/Leslie) sounds are very popular now too. Often you'll need to switch sound a few times in the one song, and often only at a time when the leader calls it.

Even for very small worship gigs with 40-50 people you won't ever be using in built speakers because tyically you're playing with drums/electric guitar/electric bass. Unless it's a specific acoustic gig you'll have FoH speakers and foldback.

This is from my experience with evangelical protestant churches in Australia. Youtube Hillsong for more idea.

Edited by AndrewJCW (06/30/16 07:42 PM)

#2553286 - 06/30/16 08:39 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Charles Cohen Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Off-the-wall:

. . . Do you need 88 keys on the new keyboard?

One possibility is to use something like a Yamaha MX49 (or MX61) as a sound generator, and keep your P155 as a physical keyboard. That will give you an 88-key range, even though the MX49 / MX61 have fewer keys.

The MX49 weighs less than 10 pounds, is small,
. . . has _lots_ of sounds (1,100) to play with, and
. . . (at least) ADSR editing for them, and
. . . many, many effects (including tailorable chorusing) and 5-band EQ.

For $500, it might be worth considering, even though you'll be transporting two keyboards. The P155 and MX49 both have "real MIDI", so you'll just need a connecting cable, not a computer.

The MX61 (identical electronics to the MX49, I think) is more expensive, but 61 keys might be enough for you sometimes.

Try one out -- you might be surprised. The keyboard is pure "synth action", but not bad as those go.

#2553292 - 06/30/16 09:24 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Kawai James Offline

The MP6 is certainly a great board, however the MP7 is better in every respect. Of course, $400 is not an insignificant amount of money, however I believe the MP7 is a significant enough upgrade to the MP7 to warrant the investment.

I am not overly familiar with the second-hand market in the US, bit would recommend paying close attention to eBay and Craiglist in case a bargain crops up.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
James
x

ps. I shall reply to your PM shortly...

#2553300 - 06/30/16 10:21 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL

Thats the one I want! The problem is, since I am a college student, the MP7 is priced a little high for my budget, and even then a few used ones are a little pushing it....even though I would prefer to get a new stage piano before this fall semester!

Well, we are called to be good stewards of what God gives us. Let me ask you, are you playing with others in worship, or is it a solo thing? What makes you think the P155 is inadequate, even to the point where you couldn't save up the money to buy just what you need at a later date and continue to use the P155 in the mean time?

I'm sure at college you can find odd jobs to do there. Even colleges themselves often have part-time jobs for students - working at the library, cafeterias, etc.

And I go get the whole GAS thing (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), but I think you could make what you have work for a bit longer. I think those recommending trying out some VSTs is a good idea as well. Should be pretty simple with your Macbook, and lots of decent software libraries that are affordable.

#2553320 - 06/30/16 11:48 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: Morodiene]
lsal1 Offline

Originally Posted By Morodiene

Well, we are called to be good stewards of what God gives us. Let me ask you, are you playing with others in worship, or is it a solo thing? What makes you think the P155 is inadequate, even to the point where you couldn't save up the money to buy just what you need at a later date and continue to use the P155 in the mean time?

I'm sure at college you can find odd jobs to do there. Even colleges themselves often have part-time jobs for students - working at the library, cafeterias, etc.

And I go get the whole GAS thing (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), but I think you could make what you have work for a bit longer. I think those recommending trying out some VSTs is a good idea as well. Should be pretty simple with your Macbook, and lots of decent software libraries that are affordable.

And I am thankful for what I've been given, and I've been using this board for almost three to four years or so, and I've found that while I love the feel, I need access to more sounds, such as synths, pads, and better EP's, more on the side of a Rhodes or Tine, as I'm usually in a worship band and not solo. And while I wouldn't mind keeping it til college, if I am going to take advantage of the good deals I've seen, then I don't think I should wait.

#2553360 - 07/01/16 06:25 AM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

And I am thankful for what I've been given, and I've been using this board for almost three to four years or so, and I've found that while I love the feel, I need access to more sounds, such as synths, pads, and better EP's, more on the side of a Rhodes or Tine, as I'm usually in a worship band and not solo. And while I wouldn't mind keeping it til college, if I am going to take advantage of the good deals I've seen, then I don't think I should wait.

You know, If I was you, practically speaking, I'd get the DGX650. Keyboards adequate for piano, the synthe and stuff are all in there, and so easy to play instantly on stage.
It has no line outs though, so maybe the kawai or Roland boards may be better. No unnecessary wires or connection equals happiness!

Edited by peterws (07/01/16 06:27 AM)

""

#2553439 - 07/01/16 12:49 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Doug M. Offline

See, the problem is that you want both great action, and the APs, EPs, and if possible good organs too, all in one board, at $400 dollars below the price of the MP7.

If you cannot find an MP7 second hand by the time you need to make a decision, I would consider sacrificing the superior action. Having compared these boards, I would invest in the Kurzweil Artis or the Roland RD800... If not, then go for the Yamaha CP4.

The Artis would be a perfect board for you if not for the action: it has a great AP sound, cool EP's, and the organ sounds really are excellent. Also, it's build quality is rock-solid, and the user interface is good.

The RD800 is perhaps the most versatile of all the boards, having many more A-standard sounds in the AP, EP range. For instance, flick through the piano sounds, and you'll recognize them from many hits of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Also, the knob which changes the Rhodes from a Mark I to a Mark II etc., is quite nice to have.

You might prefer the CP4 action (I do not), but the user interface on the CP4 is less efficient for live music compared to the Artis and the RD800.

Here is my take on them out of 5*: [ a star in brackets (*) indicates half a star.

MP7
Action: ****
APs:****
EPs:***(*) (some are good)
Organs:***(*)
User interface:****
Functionality:***(*)
Number of A-grade sounds:** [*** if you include all the GM sounds it has available]
% of A-grade sounds: **** [but only **(*) if you include all the GM sounds it has available]

Artis
Action: **
EPs:****
Organs:*****
User interface:****(*)
Functionality:****(*)
Number of A-grade sounds:****
% of A-grade sounds: ****

RD800
Action:***(*)
EPs:****
Organs:***
User interface:*****
Functionality:*****
Number of A-grade sounds:*****
% of A-grade sounds: ***(*)

CP4
Action:**(*) although some would score it ***(*) and prefer it to the RD800
APs:***(*)
EPs:****(*)
Organs:***
User interface:**
Functionality:***
Number of A-grade sounds:****
% of A-grade sounds: ***

Another thing to consider is that if you intend to play organ in the organ style, you maybe better with a waterfall keyboard: perhaps a good workstation might come with this. Depends how much you intend to use organs.

Edited by Doug M. (07/01/16 01:00 PM)

#2553563 - 07/02/16 01:11 AM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Kawai James Offline

Interesting analysis Doug.

May I ask which 'Functionality' you feel is lacking in the MP7 (3.5 stars) compared to the Artis (4.5 stars) and RD-800 (5 stars), please?

Kind regards,
James
x

#2553712 - 07/02/16 05:49 PM Re: I need a new piano for worship use. Help me choose? [Re: lsal1]
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Doug, interesting analysis and excellent review too... I totally agree with you!. Regards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our Latest Free Newsletter!
-------------------
Some New Piano World STATS

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Piano Lamps - Piano Lights
Piano Lamp by cocoweb - free shipping
New in Piano World's online store PianoSupplies.com , beautiful piano lamps from cocoweb. Free shipping! (continental U.S.).
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for some info on my Piano
by Corey617
Today at 02:06 PM
Thumb whilst playing - Straight or Bent?
by dbach
Today at 11:50 AM
Just want to say thanks ...
by pianopi
Today at 11:46 AM
folsom prison blues
by iamanders
Today at 11:33 AM
Musical Personality
by hyena
Today at 06:44 AM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
85,745 Registered Members
44 Forums
176,754 Topics
2,575,786 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission