2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I am considering buying a Yamaha YUS5 brand new in New York area. The prices I got for various Yamaha uprights are

U1 - around 6,000 - I know this is a real good price.

U3 - around 8500--is really a good price?

YUS 5 - dealer asked $15K but what is the real price? Blue book lists 15K--should we start negotiation by discounting at least 40%?

I really like the look, feel and tone of the piano although it will my 8 year old playing on this one. She may not appreciate it now but will some day (at least I hope).

Thanks.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There's more accurate, updated, and free pricing information available at the Piano Buyer site (linked at the side of the page; full disclosure - I write for them) along with some guidelines as to what to expect to pay. It has been my experience that discounts on typical, well-known models like the U1 tend to be greatest in markets with lots of dealers around. In the case of the YUS 5, I don't know how many dealers stock this model, as tall and expensive verticals don't tend to move as quickly. You might be limited to what you can find in-person.

Also, know that a lot of dealers read this board (this might include the dealers where you've already been shopping).

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
M
M
No way 40% off that YUS5 price, cheaper than U3??? One of our members located in NY picked one up for around $13,000 in 2012. Considering it was 2012, and prices generally increase yearly for various reasons or not.....I don't think 15k is a crazy price.

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
A
A
I know this is an old thread but I was looking at MSRP prices on the YUS5 and YUS5SH and it looks like they are much higher then what people were posting. 20k and 25k respectively. What are people paying in 2016 for a YUS5 or YUS5SH ? Did they really go up by 3-4k since 2014. Looks like people were paying closer to 10k street price in 2008 for a YUS5. Are they really 15k (street price) now?

andy

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by andyman_sf
I know this is an old thread but I was looking at MSRP prices on the YUS5 and YUS5SH and it looks like they are much higher then what people were posting. 20k and 25k respectively. What are people paying in 2016 for a YUS5 or YUS5SH ? Did they really go up by 3-4k since 2014. Looks like people were paying closer to 10k street price in 2008 for a YUS5. Are they really 15k (street price) now?

andy
You've revived an old thread that was already confused about pricing and unresolved (OP never posted again). terminaldegree's advice about limited dealer representation & more up-to-date info being available from Piano Buyer site still holds.

I can tell you the MSRP for that model has risen ~35% since 2008, and in my experience, most prices posted online are either incomplete of circumstances or inaccurate for other reasons. It's also fair to consider what the business/financial market situation was at the time of an older price quote. See if you can find multiple price quotes for 2006.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
A
A
Hey thanks Sam, I can't believe how much prices have risen since 2008. All YUS5 postings and even blue book values I could find were off. However I have secured the purchase from a local dealer for $14,000 USD in san francisco and will take delivery this thursday (for a YUS5-SH).

I posted this because I actually had purchased this piano from another dealer last saturday but a gut feeling tells me he was ripping me off. He sold me the same piano for about $14.5 but took my Yamaha N2 as a trade in. So basically he took my N2 for free. I canceled that deal the next business day. I wish it was easier for people to get fair market value of pianos without getting ripped off so badly just because I am not in the industry but I am also to blame for not doing my due dilgence. Unfortunetly Yamaha says they won't let dealers disclose price over the phone or online.

Last edited by andyman_sf; 06/27/16 11:44 PM.
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Great gut feeling there. A lot of other things have become pricier, too, since 8 years ago, like SF homes wink

A
A
Isn't there a forum here where people listed what they paid for pianos? Can't seem to find it anymore.

That was for digital pianos.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission