2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Hi everybody,

I need some advice from you - I recently purchased a Korg SV1 88 from Guitar Center and I got the famous "clicking noise" issue from some of the keys, it was a B-stock at $1100, but I don't think it was what made it have this issue as I tried other SV1 and the Kronos which has the same keybed and heard the same problem. The keyboard repair shop told me that it wouldn't taken under warranty as it's not a recognize problem from Korg. So basically I'm left with a keybed that is not of a very good quality. My fault, I should have investigate more before buying...

Now, I'm still the return period and I'm considering changing it to another keyboard. After investigating, I actually realize that I'm mostly working with APs sounds and I'm very picky about the keybed action. I want it to mimic a real grand piano. I am aware that for that it comes with expensive keyboards.
I am not sure why I went with the Korg SV1 in the first place, if the keybed was nicer I would have been okay with keeping it even though I know it's not like a grand piano feel - but because it's really fun to play. The sound of the APs are good (last patch) but could definitely be better.

So I'm looking for a keyboard to replace my SV1 around the price range of $1100. I'm ready to go a little higher but I need to be sure that this time it's the right choice. I found that the Roland RD-300NX might a good fit but everyone seem to compare the keybed feel to the 'Discontinued' 700NX and the current RD-800NX and say that it's not as good as those. I can't afford the 800NX.
So I found the Kawai MP7. It looks Kawai is the way to good for real keybed feel, even more with the wood keys of the MP11, but again too expensive for me.
I would be ready to go up to the MP7 but I need to be sure that I won't be disappointed coming from a Korg SV1 and having practicing Classical music for the last 14 years. I've always been playing on uprights and grand pianos, so the switch to electric keyboards is not easy as I need this 'real' feeling of both the touch and the sound.
It would be mainly for home use. I have an AMP and will also use my headphones from time to time, so I don't need a built-in speaker.
I'm ready to loose some quality over the EPs sound as the Korg SV1 is really great for that. But again I'm looking for a good keybed feel and good APs sound.

I believe the Roland RD-300NX has a better feel and better APs sound than the Korg SV1 from what I've read, correct?

Is the difference between the 300NX and MP7 that huge? Is it worth adding $500 to get a MP7 over a 300NX?

Any other alternatives is appreciated.

Last edited by MalexMag; 07/01/16 10:10 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
RD-300NX/$1299/38lbs 10oz has Roland's Ivory Feel G action Also used on their A-88, FP-80 and FP-50. I've played it. Eh.

RD-800/$2499/47lbs 13oz has the PHA-4 Concert Keyboard: with Escapement and Ebony/Ivory Feel. You'll have to play it, I think you'll find it's better than the Ivory Feel G, at least I do. But the RD-800 is heavy as heck and an awful lot of instrument and expensive for someone who mainly needs a simple stage piano.

Take a look at the Yamaha CP4 (not the 40, action on the CP-40/ /36lbs/$1399.99 (Yamaha GH) isn't any better than the Ivory Feel G on the Roland 300NX IMHO. YMMV The Yamaha CP4/$2299.99/38.58lbs has the Yamaha NW action. I prefer it to the GH. Yamaha P-255/$1299/38.1lbs also has the GH action.

You should also look at the Kawai MP7/$1799/46lbs RHII action.
Kawai ES8/$1999/49lbs RHIII action.
Kawai ES100/$799/33lbs AHA IV-F

Casio PX-5S/$999.99/24lbs tri-sensor scaled action (all Casio digitals have this action)
Casio PX-560/$1199.99/26lbs same action.
Casio PX-360/$899.99/26lbs same action.

Kurzweil ArtisSE/$1495/38.6lbs TP-100LR action.
Kurzweil SP5/$1399/46.3lbs LK40GH I think I have played this action, but I though it was the TP-100 for some reason. Specs say I was wrong about that.
Kurzweil SP4-8/$999/39lbs LK40GH

These slab stage pianos are on lots of showrooms across the US. You really should be able to get your hands on one from each manufacturer to compare.

It sounds like your needs are basic. Look for a piano sound you are happy with and an action you can live with. The fancier models like the RD-800 I think are overkill for your needs.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
RD-300NX/$1299/38lbs 10oz has Roland's Ivory Feel G action Also used on their A-88, FP-80 and FP-50.

Elmer, please note that the FP-80 utilises the 'Ivory Feel-S' action, not the 'Ivory Feel-G' of the A-88 and FP-50.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
thumb

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the details.
Do you have a comparison between the feel of the RD-300NX and the Korg SV1?

The Yamaha CP4 is a little too expensive for me. What is your comparison in sound and feel between the Yamaha CP-40, P-255, Roland RD-300NX, Casio PX-560, and Kawai MP7?

Unfortunately I don't have easy access to all the stores around. I'm leaning towards having ivory keys (I'm not talking about the Ivory Feel G action), but just not simple hollow plastic keys like the Korg SV1.

The RD-800 is definitely too expensive for me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The SV-1 is decent as far as Korg actions go. Some like it, I can take it or leave it. Yes, as you mentioned, there was a batch at some point with clicking keys. Not sure what that's all about.

The CP-40 and P-255 feel very similar so if you can find one to try, that should give you an idea. Both very commonly in stock with dealers.

P-255 Keyboard Mag Review might be helpful. Certainly a serviceable instrument. Sort of decent review of the CP-40, here. I have played the 40 often because a band I work with has one. Of course I can perform with it even if it's not my favorite action. But, more importantly, you need to make sure that you like it.

The Casio PX-5S and PX-560 in your price range surprise a lot of players looking for a good sounding, light weight piano with a surprisingly decent feeling action for the price. I might be inclined to check it out.

*** However, something just occurred to me. Roland has a new model out called the Juno DS-88 /$999/35lbs 12oz. Loaded with sounds, Ivory Feel-G action. You may very well find it fills your needs nicely. Demo below wastes time on the more synthy sounds up front, he plays electric and acoustic pianos later.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, the Kawai MP7 is the best miles ahead of rest... Cheers!.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
lol - yes, so you've suggested from time to time, Fer. laugh

Yes the MP7 is very nice. Not sure OP is willing to go to $1799.

M
OP Offline
M
The SV-1 is decent as far as Korg actions go. Some like it, I can take it or leave it.

Compared to what Korg has done so far, it's probably a decent action. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to go ahead and make the change to a RD-300NX for grand piano sounds and a better action?

If there was not that clicking noise I would keep my SV1.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah. I didn't realize you were still in possession of the SV-1. For gigging with band, the clock is probably irrelevant, since you'd never hear it while the drummer is playing. But, I get that you're peeved about it when playing solo piano, particualrly quietly at home.

Contact a Korg Service Center,
http://www.korgusa.com/dealerlocator

While I understand they've never officially acknowledged the issue, I'd bet they are aware of it and may have quietly been remedying the issue for annoyed customers all along. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. It's a nice easy to use fun to play instrument. Don't let it go without a best effort at de-clicking.

M
OP Offline
M

While I understand they've never officially acknowledged the issue, I'd bet they are aware of it and may have quietly been remedying the issue for annoyed customers all along. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. It's a nice easy to use fun to play instrument. Don't let it go without a best effort at de-clicking.

Yeah probably what happened. I purchased it a month ago and still have it and need to make a decision this week before my return period is over. I brought it to a keyboard repair store, they called Korg to see if it's an "official" problem and denied it. The shop told me that they will probably not find anything. Since it's not recognize by Korg, I won't be covered by the guarantee and the repair will be at my cost with a few chances to actually find something wrong. The shop said "it's the charm of the beast and will probably stay like that"...

So I decided to change it. I'm leaning towards the RD-300NX as Roland seems to be a solid brand.
Yes it will be mainly for home use, and I hear the clicking noise for sure, so don't care too much about weight, but I still want the possibility to move it around for gigs.

I just need that last confirmation that I will actually get better APs sound and a better key action/feel?

Online Content
Originally Posted by MalexMag
I just need that last confirmation that I will actually get better APs sound and a better key action/feel?

Ultimately, only you can make this decision. This is why it's generally recommended to play-test all instruments under consideration before making any purchase.

Kind regards,
James
x

Last edited by Kawai James; 07/05/16 08:17 PM. Reason: Personal opinion removed.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
R
I had the Korg SV-1 73 and 88 for this past week and brought them both back to the store. They started off perfectly, but developed the infamous clicking sound. It really disappointed me and I actually wipped my signature clean because of it. I really enjoyed how the SV-1 played, vibed, and overall looked for like 2 days until the clicking started. Anyway I still have my trusty old Roland RD-300NX and it has NO problems! I can say that the piano experience is a little more immersive with Roland's SuperNatural piano engine. I can play with more control and nuance, but the SV-1 had a cool vibe that I really liked. The only thing is, you have to like the Roland sound. If so you'll like the transition. Of course the SV-1 has more rewarding vintage EP's but the Roland can be tweaked with guitar amp modeling and such to help get a more vintage EP sound. That's the thing about the Roland, it's very customizable and you can achieve really any sound you're looking for in the AP and EP department. The Ivory Feel G keyboard is average, certainly not the best, but it is a 3 sensor ivory feel action ....ungraded though. It's serviceable. Hey I bought my RD300NX for $1100 after a discount so, I'm not mad at what I got from that purchase. In the end like James said, you have to play them all (that are in your budget) and go from there. Hope this helps.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Ivory Feel G action is progressively weighted....for sure. 6 zones I believe, the PHA-4 and subsequent actions utilize 7 zones.

Jay

Industry Consultant
R
R
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
The Ivory Feel G action is progressively weighted....for sure. 6 zones I believe, the PHA-4 and subsequent actions utilize 7 zones.

Jay

Cool! I stand corrected, thanks Jay! That's actually good to know, I always thought it was ungraded! Great to have someone with your expertise here! I know that this will probably never happen to the RD300NX, but as a suggestion (because it hasn't been replaced yet) can the electric piano designer somehow be included in a OS update? Just passing the word, lol.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Rhodie73
I had the Korg SV-1 73 and 88 for this past week and brought them both back to the store. They started off perfectly, but developed the infamous clicking sound. It really disappointed me and I actually wipped my signature clean because of it. I really enjoyed how the SV-1 played, vibed, and overall looked for like 2 days until the clicking started.v

That's a drag. Some things never change. frown

R
R
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I had the Korg SV-1 73 and 88 for this past week and brought them both back to the store. They started off perfectly, but developed the infamous clicking sound. It really disappointed me and I actually wipped my signature clean because of it. I really enjoyed how the SV-1 played, vibed, and overall looked for like 2 days until the clicking started.v

That's a drag. Some things never change. frown

Yeah Dave, really disappointing. Right now I'm done for awhile with digital pianos. I'll use what I have and connect with software when needed. I'm hoping one day soon that Yamaha joins the 21st century of digital piano reproduction and gives us something like what Roland did with the SuperNatural technology (sample+modeling, not full modeling)....full resonances, no stretching and looping, but using a sample attack from their top of line acoustics. I agree with everything you say about the CP4 in a live context, just wish I felt the same when playing it in my studio solo.

M
OP Offline
M
I had the Korg SV-1 73 and 88 for this past week and brought them both back to the store. They started off perfectly, but developed the infamous clicking sound. It really disappointed me and I actually wipped my signature clean because of it. I really enjoyed how the SV-1 played, vibed, and overall looked for like 2 days until the clicking started.

I'm in the process of making the change between the Korg SV1 88 and the RD-300NX for the same reasons. I've always played acoustic uprights or grand pianos so the change to DPs is hard but right now that's what I need and I am aware that you can't beat the real thing. I just wished Korg would have put an effort on their keybed action honestly, it looks so nice and I really like the fact that you have no LCD screen and all the buttons are in front of you. But for home use and some occasional jams it's not worth it for me to have a bad feel like that.

Will update when the RD300NX arrives and after I test it for couple of days for future readers.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by MalexMag; 07/06/16 05:42 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I played a whole mess of keyboards again the other night side by side - back and forth, one to the next, back again.

Kawai ES100

Kawai ES8

Casio PX-5S

Casio CGP-700

Casio PX-150

Yamaha P-45

Yamaha P-115

Roland DS-88

And I think...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just on actions and feel while playing their base piano sound I like them in this order top to bottom.

Kawai ES8 by a long shot. This is a very good compact action in a slab digital piano. Nice feeling keys. Responsive Hammer III (RHIII) Action with Let-Off. Nice feeling on trills and quickly repeated notes.

P-115 Graded hammer standard (GHS) keyboard, matte finish on black keys.

Casio PX-5S - different than the P-115 and the GHS is a little better, but the key finish on the Casio is a nice touch on a quite playable and quick action.

ES-100 - very plasticy feel to the keys and a little sluggish to me on note repeat, particularly when compared to the ES8.

I might place this at tie or above the ES-100. Tough call.
P-45 Graded hammer standard (GHS) keyboard.

Roland DS-88 - (Ivory Feel-G Keyboard with Escapement) action has a very shallow drop and takes some getting used to from the others and from acoustic grand actions. But the key path is nice and stable, I've played some upright pianos that feel this way (shallow drop). Key finish is nice. The RD-300NX has an Ivory Feel G - the official spec does not mention escapement. Maybe Jay can answer if these are identical. I'll say this though, definitely a more stable feeling keybed than the SV-1 IMHO.

These last two are tough. I definitely did not immediately dig the short drop of the Ivory Feel-G Keyboard with Escapement. But the keys on the CGP-700 are eh.

CGP-700 - not the same key finish as the PX-5S, a little wobbly feel to the keys, more so than the 5S for some reason - as I believe all the Casios use essentially the same action. This was mounted flat, the 5S was at a tilt toward me on wall mounts - not sure if that's a factor. Other Casio's use a strange groove in the plastic to make it feel more wood like, I am not sure I care for it or not. I'd have to get used to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission