2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joename
This forum is a place for beginners to ask for advice and discuss other adult beginner stuff. This is an adult beginner question. I elaborated twice that I will be bringing it to my teacher, but as this is a forum for other adult beginner pianists who may have wrestled with this before, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I was curious about how others approached this problem and if it might help me.

What I'm wrestling with is fixing what got built up first time round, and turning things around because I was stopped dead in my tracks for a number of things. It's hard. That's for piano. With the other instrument, I stopped for 10 years, and there was a time that the advice I got on-line which I thought I understood and thought was correct made a mess. You are probably a lot wiser than I was, and we also have a lot better resources on-line than we had a decade ago. People are more careful and savvy than when everything was just coming out of its infancy. If you take everything with a grain of salt and test it all out, you should be fine. smile

Actually the worst damage comes from poor quality or misguided teaching, because here you tend to trust, and you are locked into whatever routine occurs in those lessons and your assignments. I am gradually revamping my own attitudes.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why bother paying a teacher when you already (believe you) know how to learn to play?

Learner
J
joename Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by malkin
Why bother paying a teacher when you already (believe you) know how to learn to play?

I have a teacher. I intend to bring this to her. I enjoy playing piano for fun. It's a hobby. I was curious and asked my peers a question.

Sheesh.

Last edited by joename; 07/06/16 04:36 PM.

Alfred's Level One Graduate

J
joename Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by keystring
This forum is a place for beginners to ask for advice and discuss other adult beginner stuff. This is an adult beginner question. I elaborated twice that I will be bringing it to my teacher, but as this is a forum for other adult beginner pianists who may have wrestled with this before, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I was curious about how others approached this problem and if it might help me.

What I'm wrestling with is fixing what got built up first time round, and turning things around because I was stopped dead in my tracks for a number of things. It's hard. That's for piano. With the other instrument, I stopped for 10 years, and there was a time that the advice I got on-line which I thought I understood and thought was correct made a mess. You are probably a lot wiser than I was, and we also have a lot better resources on-line than we had a decade ago. People are more careful and savvy than when everything was just coming out of its infancy. If you take everything with a grain of salt and test it all out, you should be fine. smile

Actually the worst damage comes from poor quality or misguided teaching, because here you tend to trust, and you are locked into whatever routine occurs in those lessons and your assignments. I am gradually revamping my own attitudes.

I totally understand where you're coming from. Thanks Keystring! I'm looking forward to going over this with my teacher.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I can also play this study perfectly well with my left hand. The pinky plays the root, and my middle finger/thumb plays the E/G. It feels nice, stable, and comfortable, and it sounds even. Just a whole other story in the right.

Just to clarify, Joe, you are not playing the same thing with your left hand as you are with your right.

With the right hand, which is giving the trouble, you are playing the root "C" with your thumb.

With the left hand, which you say is nice and stable, you are playing the root "C" with your fifth finger (aka "Pinky") laugh

Those are the same notes, but the left hand is playing the mirror image of what you are playing with the right hand. And it most likely will not cause the same response, because it is very different.

To play the same thing with your left hand, you would have to play it exactly the same, i.e. by first playing a note (I suggest a G) with your thumb, then the rest of the C root chord, (E and G), with fingers 3 and 5.

Doing this might help diagnose the problem.

All the best, and I hope you get this sorted out.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I spent some time working on this exercise last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I flicked through the other exercises and it seems a much better effort over his first book (which I bought ages ago). It would be nice if he uploaded a video or at least an audio of him playing each one through. I thought that seemed like an obvious thing to do but couldn't find it anywhere.

Last edited by AndrewJCW; 07/06/16 10:31 PM.
J
joename Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
I spent some time working on this exercise last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I flicked through the other exercises and it seems a much better effort over his first book (which I bought ages ago). It would be nice if he uploaded a video or at least an audio of him playing each one through. I thought that seemed like an obvious thing to do but couldn't find it anywhere.

Yea, I really like the exercises in that they are more fully realized examples, rather than just a snippet explaining a concept (like his first book).

I think he'll release some videos once the book is officially published. I think this is just the beta version for people to review and give him comments on. Have you seen his book on cocktail piano? It's a step or two above where I am, I think. It explains the concepts but I probably need more of a progressive guide. Or just more work on the basics.

Last edited by joename; 07/07/16 10:48 AM.

T
T
I appreciate your sharing this resource joename. It looks like an interesting thing to play around with and I would not have found it without your mention.

To put another viewpoint out there, I almost always start new pieces (including etudes) and practice them a week before seeing my teacher. I find some benefit in doing this - I get a sense of where I am having difficulties and can ask questions and/or listen more carefully to gain insight. It gives me an opportunity to try to hear what needs fixing even when I don't know how yet. My teacher encourages this, he feels ultimately you are trying to learn to be your own teacher (though this may be long long way off for me). To be clear, I'm not practicing something repetitively to the point of potential injury, I'm exploring the new pieces and working through them as best I can.

I think you did a great job in noticing what the problem was even if you couldn't fix it, and being able to identify problems is a big step in improvement. Thanks again for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission