2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
MaryMM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well the technician was here today. What is needed is for the whole keyboard works--action to be replaced with a new one. The original is still in there! My gosh they built this piano well. Anyway, he will order that part from Steinway and when it comes replace it.

He says the sound board is still great and it all looks good inside except for the hammers and all the parts related. He will come back with the new hammers action/keys the entire set of these items) replace them and then do a big regulation and voicing as well as an entire tuning. The man knows his stuff!

My instincts were right about my wonderful piano--it needs some good TLC, but it is a fine instrument. It looks as if other parts--strings, etc. were replaced, or renewed as needed, but it is the action which was never replaced in all the years! Gosh, wish my piano could talk about its life. I would love to hear its story.

Just thought I'd update the saga of my beloved piano.

Mary M. Marty
Steinway M 1921
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Sorry, have you already posted pictures of this action and the keys? Some here might want to comment on how critically these items need to be replaced, or, do you have a convincing description of the issues?

best wishes-

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
A 1921 Steinway is almost 100% likely to have verdigris, a greenish deposit in the action centers. These are the tiny joints that hinge one part to the other. When verdigris is present the action is sluggish and really cannot be regulated. This substance cannot be removed. The only cure is action replacement. This is a correct call by your technician.

Also the hammers themselves which are attached to the action parts containing the verdigris are most likely to have to be replaced because of wear or simply age. Without looking at a piano like this I would have automatically calculated this needed replacement for really any level of use.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
M
MaryMM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I don't have pictures--am no good at taking them. However, the Steinway piano tech came out today--pulled the action and it is the original--hammers and all. The hammers are so worn and thin it is amazing. He is ordering an entire new action for the piano
--hammers, pins etc.that are Steinway parts, and will replace all. Then he will tune, voice, and regulate--in whatever order is correct the piano. For now he turned it a little, adjusted the action and touch so all keys are much more even. I can feel the difference all ready. The mental frame is in terrific condition and the sound board is great. No cracks, or other signs of damage. The piano is dusty inside. I trust this man and he is the go-to-guy where I live for any technical work on a Steinway.

Last edited by MaryMM; 07/19/16 08:20 PM.

Mary M. Marty
Steinway M 1921
M
MaryMM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Sally, you are right on the mark. Saw the parts to which you refer. There is the verdigris where you said it would be.. Was able to see it myself. The hammers are really worn down and thin. The entire action will be replaced. That is a good start and we will move on from there. This is a work in progress and I have
got a good man for a tech. Mary

Last edited by MaryMM; 07/19/16 08:21 PM.

Mary M. Marty
Steinway M 1921
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
MaryMM,
I hope your technician is aware that the replacement hammers he gets from Steinway are heavier than the originals. This will have a profound effect on the way the piano sounds and plays. I suggest discussing this with him before regulating the action. At a minimum, the technician should shape the felt of the hammers on the sides and shoulder, and the wood of the tails should be minimized as well.

The Steinway tone regulator that I first was instructed by was Fred Drasche. The first words out of his mouth were, "The hammer has got to get away from the string." and "The voicer puts the tone in the hammer with the shape."

Shaping should also be done before using any hammer hardeners. As you bring the weight down the tone comes up, especially from about note 55 to 88.

I do wish you every success in the outcome of this work.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT

The Steinway tone regulator that I first was instructed by was Fred Drasche. The first words out of his mouth were, "The hammer has got to get away from the string." and "The voicer puts the tone in the hammer with the shape."

I didn't know you worked with Fred. He was a factory man in New York and I have heard his name. I understand he was one of the best.

(Steve Drasche is the current generation in New York pianos)

Cheers!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
M
MaryMM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
He is aware of these things. He has been doing this for over 40 years. he will work and work with me and the piano to get everything to my satisfaction. Will keep folks posted. Thank you so much Ed for the pointers. Have heard as Rich of Fred--it is wonderful that you were able work with and learn from such a skilled artisan. Again, appreciate your pointers.

Mary M. Marty
Steinway M 1921

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission