Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
101 registered (Almaviva, ando, Amosdoll, alerique, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1576 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2558236 - 07/23/16 05:00 PM Better DP Action for Learning?
slickvguy Offline

Hi. Haven't posted in quite some time, but have been reading hundreds upon hundreds of posts. Thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Finally getting around to buying a new DP within the next week or so. Have been studying and testing for about 6 weeks.

Background: I am 53. Have played piano since I was about 14. Self-taught. Mainly pop/contemporary (a lot of Joe Jackson), a little jazz, improv, etc. Do not really play classical - but want to learn classical, more jazz, to get my mechanics going and UNLEARN some very bad habits (e.g. I play too hard and use the sustain pedal way too much).

I've narrowed it down to just a few models. Mainly the HP-603 and the HP-504 (or DP90Se). CLP-535/CLP-545 are in the hunt too. I've played the Kawais, but the CA67 is too expensive and a bit too "slow" for me (as great as the keys felt) and I prefer the higher-end ROland actions vs. the Kawai RHIII. DP will wind up being used primarily as a controller. VPC1 is out because I have no opportunity to play it and I wont' buy something w/o playing it. Bear in mind that I live in Canada, thus match-ups are different vs. Europe.

I find the PHA4 Premium/Concert action a bit harder and heavier versus the PHA-50 action (though not as hard as the GH3X action). Going by action alone, which one is "better" for me over the long run if I'm going to LEARN to play classical and jazz? To improve my mechanics? Or does it not really matter? Unfortunately, I'm used to my very old Yamaha PF85's action which has probably messed up my touch for life. lol. It was weighted, not graded, and quite plasticy.

Bottom line: should I go with the lighter action or the heavier action (though not too heavy, which was the case with the P255's GH for example)?

Thank you!

Edited by slickvguy (07/23/16 05:03 PM)

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2558296 - 07/24/16 12:26 AM Re: Better DP Action for Learning? [Re: slickvguy]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

I recommmend learning how to adjust a keyboard's light/heavy settings, and even a keyboard's global tone/character/brilliance settings. I found that this could significantly chang my perception of how a keyboard felt and performed. It also gave me a better sense of the "key to sound connection" and helped clarify how the "keys" really felt as opposed to just judging everything by the keyboard's default factory settings. Its similar to changing the way an acoustic piano behaves by getting it regulated a certain way, except on a digital you can make the changes yourself. At the very least, learn how to reset the piano to its default setting so that you have a baseline to compare.

I enjoy reading online about's people's experiences and opinions of keyboard's they've tried, but it's always with the knowledge that I don't know what settings they used or in the case of acoustics - how the acoustic has been regulated. With that in mind "some dude's" critical or gushing online comment really can't carry much weight. And you may not even be sure that your experience with a piano is a good representation of the piano until you know what settings you were playing with.

FWIW - for many digitals, I found that I preferred to set the keys to a "lighter" setting, this made them feel more "responsive" and closer to the acoustics that I normally play on.

#2558310 - 07/24/16 03:18 AM Re: Better DP Action for Learning? [Re: slickvguy]
slickvguy Offline

When I test/play a DP in a store, I make sure to try and do a factory reset before starting. Usually not difficult to find in the "function" menu. At the very least, turning it off and on will usually reset most of the parameters.

I agree that making adjustments can make a significant difference in some ways. As well, the underlying action is what it is. I also play them without being turned on in order to remove the sound from influencing the feel. It's a very different feeling, but worth trying.

I was hoping to get opinions from a few experienced pianists re: heavy or light action being better to learn on. My gut tells me that lighter action would be better, but I could be completely wrong.

#2558314 - 07/24/16 03:47 AM Re: Better DP Action for Learning? [Re: slickvguy]
Charles Cohen Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
I think this is one of those questions where many people have opinions, but very few have any data to back them up.

You'd need some _very_ experienced teachers, who had tried "matched pairs" of students -- one on a heavy action, one on a light action -- and seen which one learned "better". I doubt that anyone has done the experiment.

The only warning I'd give:

. . . Don't practice using the DP's speakers, with the DP volume level turned down.

That tends to lead to "pounding", as you try to get a reasonable volume out of the choked DP.

All the DP's on your list have decent actions. Find one you like to play, and live with it. And play an acoustic, whenever you have the chance, just to remind yourself what a "real piano" feels like, and sounds like.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2558322 - 07/24/16 06:19 AM Re: Better DP Action for Learning? [Re: slickvguy]
kapelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Poland
slickvguy,

I think that unless you want to play La Campanella with the speed of Kissing, there is nothing to be worried about Kawai action speed, but if you feel uncomfortable with it there is no sense to buy it, however, for sure it will be not limiting you.

#2560726 - 08/03/16 03:04 AM Re: Better DP Action for Learning? [Re: slickvguy]
slickvguy Offline

Ended up buying something I had never played before. Got very lucky. Found a very lightly used Roland HP-508 at a great price! Finally!!! I had been looking for a not-too-old used Roland or Kawai for about 2 months.

I had to drive over 6 hours to go and get it. Tested it. Paid the lady. Disassembled it. Wrapped it in moving blankets rented from U-haul and stuck it in my daughter's Mazda3 hatchback. Then immediately drove home another 6 hours. Lugged it up 5 flights of stairs. Re-assembled it yesterday. Working perfectly. Very, very pleased with it. laugh

Edited by slickvguy (08/03/16 03:08 AM)

#2560728 - 08/03/16 03:25 AM Re: Better DP Action for Learning? [Re: slickvguy]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
That was a good find. Those instruments were going cheap after the 603 and 605 came out, acnd avftebrn Id bought something else! Have fun.

""

#2560799 - 08/03/16 11:51 AM Re: Better DP Action for Learning? [Re: peterws]
drewr Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
slickvguy,

You did well to fit a 508 into a hatchback. I did too but used the shipping boxes. The one for piano top fit into a subaru but just barely, the one end was pushed snug against the passenger seat back at an angle such that the other end barely cleared the hatch rear windshield .... close call but no room for the stand/box. It was only 3 hours drive one way so this was not too bad for a two-trip move.

I too got the 508 somewhat unexpectedly, had been looking for a more stationary complement to portable ( ES7 ). In 14' when I was searching and reading to home in on purchasing a portable, the 508 / literature was among numerous models studied but at that time it was well beyond the price range I had settled on. When it got to be 15 months later and looking for a console it just happened to be within a week or so after Roland announced the new LX7 and POOF! the 508 price instantly reduced to something more reasonable.

I do not have the years of playing experience you do so, yes, the two actions feel different but to me tbe difference is not something I sense as heavier/lighter. As a typical beginner I struggle with consistent dynamics appropriate for a given piece and overall tend to play too loud ..... actions too light for my fingers so to speak. Recently Ive been experimenting with virtual touch features / settings adjusted towards light ( Light+ Kawai, Lighter 30 Roland). Both brands make this easy but the Roland implementation makes it very easy to change on the fly while playing / practicing with the press of one button.

The 508 seems an interesting choice for eventually using as a controller. If you have a hankering to learn more classical, the included masterpieces and practice pieces should be nice supplements for this endeavor; good luck!

-drew

Edited by drewrst (08/03/16 11:53 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Piano Summit 2017 - Join Us!
along with Chick Corea, Jonathan Cain,Set Rudetsky, Ray Chew, Onree Gill ...
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad
Let Your Piano Sing
Let Your Piano Sing
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP10 or ES8
by Pecuchet
09/25/16 05:51 AM
Entropy tuning of my new Blüthner
by Beemer
09/25/16 02:37 AM
Look at my homepage
by TheTuner
09/25/16 01:58 AM
Does the Kawai es100 have a battery?
by Cutestpuppie
09/24/16 09:29 PM
Piano Piece suggestions wanted.
by Dewdman42
09/24/16 07:20 PM
Forum Stats
85,056 Registered Members
44 Forums
175,324 Topics
2,557,903 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission