Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
69 registered (Bambers, augustm, Amosdoll, ando, 5/1/19249, 16 invisible), 914 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2558260 - 07/23/16 07:29 PM A couple of issues re Pianoteq
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
And my old Vista Lappie.

1) connecting the usb cable to the computer, fine. Have to use an adaptor since the FP50 has only the two midi outputs. But when the audio lead feeding it to the computer headphone socket is connected to the audio in of thepiano, I get this ticking sound whether Pianoteq is running or not. Never happened on my previous Yamaha.

2) Adjusting the speed of the action (fast produces no discerable latency) alters the tonal quality, and indeed displays a softer velocity curve on that setting.

3) The software piano sometimes will produce a rogue note when I least expect it. Now this is whilst running PT 5.3 and above. PT 4.5 doesnt display this last point perhaps cos it utilises less resources.

Maybe I just need a better laptop. . .

""

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2558273 - 07/23/16 08:44 PM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: peterws]
MossySF Offline

For a slower laptop, you'll have to drop Pianoteq settings to use fewer resources (sample rate, etc).

You can also do a cleanup to see if you have any ugly software hogging up too much CPU on your laptop.

And you using ASIO drivers right?

#2558315 - 07/24/16 03:56 AM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: peterws]
Charles Cohen Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Quote:
2) Adjusting the speed of the action (fast produces no discerable latency) alters the tonal quality, and indeed displays a softer velocity curve on that setting.

"Speed of the action" ?

In the FP-50 specs, I see "Key Touch: 5 levels, plus Fixed".

That choice (on the FP-50) _should not_ affect the Pianoteq velocity curve. At least, I don't _think_ it should . . .

. . . What, exactly, are you changing, where?

Thanks --

#2558317 - 07/24/16 04:30 AM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: Charles Cohen]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the responses. The lappy has been rebooted and is clean, performing other stuff well although I use it exclusively for P teq. Asio4all is used.

The action speed can be selected and modified to give greater or less latency, but with tonal ramifications. This is an interesting find, but also time consuming!

""

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2558458 - 07/24/16 07:59 PM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By peterws
The action speed can be selected and modified to give greater or less latency, but with tonal ramifications. This is an interesting find, but also time consuming!

Peter, may I ask which setting you are referring to by "action speed"? Also, I don't believe adjusting the latency should necessarily influence the tone of Pianoteq, should it?

Cheers,
James
x

#2558679 - 07/25/16 06:08 PM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: Kawai James]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Kawai James

Peter, may I ask which setting you are referring to by "action speed"? Also, I don't believe adjusting the latency should necessarily influence the tone of Pianoteq, should it?

Cheers,
James
x

Pteq display, RH side has a series if button thingies, the first of which throws up the keyboard speed. 4 or 5 settings to choose. Any change here will affect the latency, and also the tone considerably

Fun isnt it? Not. . .

""

#2558687 - 07/25/16 06:58 PM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: peterws]
dmd Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Pteq display, RH side has a series if button thingies, the first of which throws up the keyboard speed. 4 or 5 settings to choose. Any change here will affect the latency, and also the tone considerably

Fun isnt it? Not. . .

Not sure what you mean by ... "button thingies".

Could you be a bit more specific ?

Current: ES8, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur

#2558710 - 07/25/16 08:27 PM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Pteq display, RH side has a series if button thingies...

These?

...the first of which throws up the keyboard speed.

Do you mean the 'ACTION' button?

...4 or 5 settings to choose. Any change here will affect the latency, and also the tone considerably...

The tone may well change, but are you sure about the latency? Maybe the *perceived* speed of the simulated acoustic piano action may be influenced by these parameters, but I believe latency is dependent on other factors.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2558721 - 07/25/16 09:43 PM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: peterws]
emenelton Offline
500 Post Club Member

And my old Vista Lappie.

1) connecting the usb cable to the computer, fine. Have to use an adaptor since the FP50 has only the two midi outputs. But when the audio lead feeding it to the computer headphone socket is connected to the audio in of thepiano, I get this ticking sound whether Pianoteq is running or not. Never happened on my previous Yamaha.

3) The software piano sometimes will produce a rogue note when I least expect it. Now this is whilst running PT 5.3 and above. PT 4.5 doesnt display this last point perhaps cos it utilises less resources.

Maybe I just need a better laptop. . .

If you change the buffer to a smaller number and the ticking gets closer together in time, that would be from the packet being smaller.
As Frankenstein said, "Vista bad, fire good!".

#2558769 - 07/26/16 04:58 AM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: Kawai James]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Kawai James
Pteq display, RH side has a series if button thingies...

These?

...the first of which throws up the keyboard speed.

Do you mean the 'ACTION' button?

...4 or 5 settings to choose. Any change here will affect the latency, and also the tone considerably...

The tone may well change, but are you sure about the latency? Maybe the *perceived* speed of the simulated acoustic piano action may be influenced by these parameters, but I believe latency is dependent on other factors.

Kind regards,
James
x

There`s a bar to the left of the picture here; the first item on it is the Preset Management. And when you throw it up, all I get is 5 keyboard settings. Its on normal and it`s this selection which causes latency change.

I eventually fiddled around with some of the other settings on Pianoteq (unrelated to this) which also affected latency, and I got a better response. Fortunately the pipping and pedal interference sounds do not record, and they bseem less intrusive now. I strongly suspect that a better midi usb adaptor would help enormously. A Roland one is about 30 smackeroos, the Yamaha one is twice that . . . Ahhh! Decisions!

""

#2558785 - 07/26/16 06:19 AM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: peterws]
siros Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
I think it would be easier to solve the problem if you use the specific terms that are actually shown on the screen.
I use Pianoteq daily and am quite familiar with the UI, but I am still not sure which part you were referring to. (Or maybe it's just me).

Are you talking about the velocity curve presets?
There is a button over the velocity curve graph. Under the "Presets" section, there are 5 presets from Slow to Fast.
I understand that this is for only changing velocity curve setting to match the keyboards. It has no effect on latency.
Slow keyboard in this meaning seems to be equivalent of heavy keys: the velocity curve is steeper than normal to compensate for heavy keys.

#2558889 - 07/26/16 04:15 PM Re: A couple of issues re Pianoteq [Re: siros]
peterws Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Youre probably talking about the same thing, there are 5 presets. And when I play them using the DP voice alongside, you can hear the latency like an echo, on some settings. It does seem better now. But I dont think its saved. . .
Merde!

""

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Piano Summit 2017 - Join Us!
along with Chick Corea, Jonathan Cain,Set Rudetsky, Ray Chew, Onree Gill ...
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad
Let Your Piano Sing
Let Your Piano Sing
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin no7 Prelude in A Major question
by Terry Michael
09/29/16 03:11 AM
Yamaha C2 Recording
by tuffy
09/29/16 02:41 AM
Looking for Sheet Music (VNV Nation)
by Cassiesmom
09/29/16 12:04 AM
What are your favorite composer photos/portraits?
by RachelBreen
09/28/16 10:52 PM
Possible to get lessons only once a month?
by Lekla
09/28/16 10:12 PM
Forum Stats
85,111 Registered Members
44 Forums
175,400 Topics
2,558,916 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission