2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 10 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
OP Offline
Z
My grand is 15 years old, and played 1-2 hrs per week. The hammers still have their teardrop shape, but there are visible grooves. Should I steam them to remove the grooves? Or file them? Or just leave them alone?

Last edited by ZMaestro; 07/24/16 09:44 AM.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
How does the piano sound when you play it? By this I mean what musical problem are you trying to solve?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ZMaestro
My grand is 15 years old, and played 1-2 hrs per week. The hammers still have their teardrop shape, but there are visible grooves. Should I steam them to remove the grooves? Or file them? Or just leave them alone?

You can try to remove them using a female nail file or scratcher for heel
https://youtu.be/pvlNgnhXVug?list=PL5-llYEcJG1Vdz9MNRUFRa64Owq2g81Vp

B
B

Coming from a NON-professional so take it for what it is worth -- any piano that has been played much at all has grooves in the hammers to some degree. Are you happy with the sound? If not, posting pics of the hammers with the deepest grooves could be very helpful in aiding the pros on here to advise you to what extent the grooves could be responsible for compromised sound quality.

Don in Austin

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright, Yamaha U30. Yamaha electric.
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
If you steam those hammers until you have no grooves, you will have no hammer, just a pile of soft felt glued to a stick. Leave them alone until you have a tech you trust.
Regards

B
B
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Greetings,
If you steam those hammers until you have no grooves, you will have no hammer, just a pile of soft felt glued to a stick. Leave them alone until you have a tech you trust.
Regards
Or leave them alone as long as you are happy with the sound?

Don in Austin

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright, Yamaha U30. Yamaha electric.
M
M

If a piano is being played, it will have grooves in the hammers.

This is normal.

If the tone is still good, leave them alone.

Piano Player
Part-time Professional Piano Tuner/Technician
Piano Voicer In-Training
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Totally agree with Musicdude.

A
A
Ed Foote is exactly correct. Steaming really isn't a solution to grooves but more for overly hard hammers which may or may not have string cuts. If you want to start messing with your hammers you should get a couple thousand dollars in the bank so you can afford a new set of hammers. Be very careful about thinking reading a couple of articles will prepare you to care for your hammers.

N
N
Right, hammer reshaping is not a good thing to mess with if you're a beginner or DIYer. Besides potentially ruining the hammers you have to be prepared to work on the regulation - any change to the hammer weight or length is going to change how the other parts function.

If you are wondering if your piano's tone can be improved by addressing the grooves in the hammers, the answer is yes - with the usual caveat that "good tone" is a very subjective thing. Deeply grooves hammers tend to produce a harsher, noisier sound.

Nathan Monteleone, Piano Technician

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission