Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
120 registered (ando, ajames, ADWyatt, anamnesis, 36251, 25 invisible), 1837 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2558751 - 07/26/16 01:42 AM New to the Forum and Keyboards
AstroEd Offline

Hi I am Edward a 100% disabled Veteran hoping learning to play an instrument or two will help me deal with my PTSD and depression issues.

I am new here and I am hoping I did not make a mistake but I just bought a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-709. I have no real knowledge of how to play one I just dabble But I want to learn for real now. I just hoped it would be a decent one to not only learn on but grow with as/if I improve. I have a Casio Privia PX-330 but did not like the sound or feel of the keys I plan to give it to my Nephew.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2558815 - 07/26/16 09:17 AM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Any of the Clavinovas would be a nice pick for you. The PX-330 isn't shabby. Your nephew is very lucky for your gracious gift.

See if you can find a good match in a teacher for yourself. Someone patient and knowledgeable to give you things to work on that will help you play better and keep your mind focused. I think the piano is awesome for worries or anxious feelings, they just fade into the background when I'm busy playing the piano. thumb Just make sure you keep it fun for yourself and not make it a chore or work.

#2558825 - 07/26/16 09:43 AM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By AstroEd
Hi I am Edward a 100% disabled Veteran hoping learning to play an instrument or two will help me deal with my PTSD and depression issues.

I am new here and I am hoping I did not make a mistake but I just bought a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-709. I have no real knowledge of how to play one I just dabble But I want to learn for real now. I just hoped it would be a decent one to not only learn on but grow with as/if I improve. I have a Casio Privia PX-330 but did not like the sound or feel of the keys I plan to give it to my Nephew.

Welcome to the forum and to piano! I think many people use piano and music in general as an outlet for stress and emotional issues, and I'm sure it can be helpful for you as well. You have a great instrument, and as Elmer said, your nephew is lucky to get the Casio as a beginner piano.

I recommend a teacher as well, even if you can only take lessons every other week. I taught a man who had serious emotional trauma as a child and he was at first a bit afraid to come out of his home for lessons. After several years, he's grown more confident in himself and is actually composing now, and is also writing books and other projects. It's great to see how he's progressed through his problems.

Anyways, having a teacher will also help reduce some frustration that will come. This is a slow process, so learn to enjoy your progress, and create milestones for yourself and be sure to look back on where you were last month, 6 months ago, a year ago. This will help keep perspective.

Have you visited the Adult Beginners Forum on this website? There are many people there who can help you on your journey as well. smile

#2558866 - 07/26/16 02:11 PM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
AstroEd Offline

I am supposed to get some lessons from the store I bought the piano from, I do not think they are "real" lessons If I remember correctly they are Tablature.

My nephew play in band I think a double horn. He always wanted a keyboard so thought he might enjoy the Casio 330.

I know the CVP-709 is way more instrument than I will ever use but I feel it will scale well as I learn. I will check out the Adult section. And thanks for the replies.

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2558868 - 07/26/16 02:15 PM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]

I am supposed to get some lessons from the store I bought the piano from, I do not think they are "real" lessons If I remember correctly they are Tablature.

My nephew play in band I think a double horn. He always wanted a keyboard so thought he might enjoy the Casio 330.

I know the CVP-709 is way more instrument than I will ever use but I feel it will scale well as I learn. I will check out the Adult section. And thanks for the replies.

Tablature is for guitar, so sounds like you'll be getting guitar lessons (did you buy a guitar there too?). The store may be able to refer you to some teachers in the area. smile

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with buying more piano than you need. In fact, in many cases it's a good idea so that you can be excited to play it and also grow into it, rather than having to upgrade every couple of years.

#2558891 - 07/26/16 04:41 PM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
AstroEd Offline

Is there a sound or quality difference between hooking up with midi cables vs USB to midi and if a keyboard has both options is one better than the other or are they the same?

I only bought a Digital Piano they absolutely said they teach with Piano Tablature.

#2558895 - 07/26/16 05:16 PM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
SoundThumb Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Midi does not actually transmit sound, so there is no difference in sound quality between the two. If you are connecting the keyboard to a computer, the advantage of using USB is that you then don't need to use a Midi to USB adapter or device. If you already have the adapter as part of your system, then using Midi to the adapter is an advantage since you don't use up another USB port on your computer. Modern keyboards also often transmit and receive audio over the USB interconnect, so that is an advantage in that it means having less interconnects between computer and keyboard.

#2558901 - 07/26/16 05:44 PM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]

Is there a sound or quality difference between hooking up with midi cables vs USB to midi and if a keyboard has both options is one better than the other or are they the same?

I only bought a Digital Piano they absolutely said they teach with Piano Tablature.

I had to google this since you first called it "tablature" and mentioned you wanted to learn an instrument or two so I assumed you were talking guitar. So I learned today that there is something called piano tablature LOL! Obviously I've never used this, nor have I see it in any of the good pedagogy books that I know either, so my guess is it will be limited, but it's free, so go for it.

After that, though, you'll want to work on something a bit more legit. laugh

#2558921 - 07/26/16 07:40 PM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
Kawai James Offline

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello AstroEd, welcome to the forum!

You've bought a fantastic instrument in the CVP-709 - I'm sure it will serve you will for many, many years to come as your piano ability progresses.

I agree with Elmer and Morodiene that a good teacher is incredibly important, and can be a tremendous source of inspiration when you're struggling with learning a challenging piece. I remember when I was a child, my piano teacher would come to visit our home...I occasionally felt a little nervous, worrying that I hadn't practised enough that week, but would often be buzzing by the time he left, and would continue to play into the evening. wink

Best of luck with your piano development!

Cheers,
James
x

#2558980 - 07/27/16 12:06 AM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
AstroEd Offline

My biggest concerns on a music teacher is the fact that my PTSD and meds effect my memory and it takes me longer to grasp even simple things at times Like my Astronomy most folks figure out Polar alignment in a few weeks to two months, it took me a year. And I am terrified that I will be wasting an instructors time if they have to keep reminding me of stuff they already taught me. Once it clicks I do not forget it but it takes longer to click.

#2559003 - 07/27/16 03:25 AM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
drewrst Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Welcome and good luck on this new journey, Ed.

Ive been away from the voluntary classroom a while but last time I checked the new world had not yet turned so far upside down that students wanting to learn shoud be concerned with wasting a teacher's time. A teacher - any teacher - is defined by various qualities including possessing skill of patience with their students. Your teacher should be concerned with not wasting your time. Even if they are donating their time compared to a teacher you hire for pay, this should not be a problem. It is something that probably should be discussed at the outset so that both you and prospective teacher can agree on expectations. Have you done any experimentation with the CVP-709? I just quickly browsed the specs, wow! This is a beautiful looking instrument, and over a hundred built-in songs. Crack open the manual and start playing around, get a feel for the keys, sounds, controls and songs. I too am a slow learner but once something clicks it tends to stay ....... practice makes clicking happen . Have fun.

-drew

#2559119 - 07/27/16 01:56 PM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]

My biggest concerns on a music teacher is the fact that my PTSD and meds effect my memory and it takes me longer to grasp even simple things at times Like my Astronomy most folks figure out Polar alignment in a few weeks to two months, it took me a year. And I am terrified that I will be wasting an instructors time if they have to keep reminding me of stuff they already taught me. Once it clicks I do not forget it but it takes longer to click.

A good teacher adapts to the learning styles and needs of the student. If you can share with them on the outset that you have this condition and the effects is has on your memory, that will help a lot.

It is bad for them to keep reminding you of something until it sticks? I'm not sure I see it as a waste of time - however long it takes is however long it takes. We are used to repeating ourselves, and if we know there is a reason why you're forgetting, that gives us an extra dose of patience.

I think having the weekly or bi-weekly reminders would help you learn it faster than if self-teaching and not even knowing you forgot something.

#2559123 - 07/27/16 02:03 PM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
Hendrik42 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
And maybe you want to combine a real teacher with a digital one? I also highly recommend a real teacher, but I am also using apps that teach piano (like SimplyPiano for iOS or Yousician for Android). An apps tells you just like a real teacher when you hit a wrong note and you never have to worry about wearing its patience thin.

All the apps have free levels for trying them out, so if you have a mobile, just try them out.

In any case, a good teacher will work with you to find your best way to learn. You learn how to learn a piece, if that makes sense.

#2559398 - 07/28/16 04:53 PM Re: New to the Forum and Keyboards [Re: AstroEd]
AstroEd Offline

I just bought the yousician complete app as I am also learning Ukelele I like it once I set it to show notes instead of the guitar hero look it became better for me to use.

I will wait until after the store I bought the piano from sets me up for their free lessons to see where I go from there.

Thank you all for your replies and making me feel welcome instead of an outsider. I tried a IRC chat groups and found some of the folks rude and down talked me as if I were an idiot or child. Come to think of it some of their replies were childish lol.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Italy Members - Please Check In
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Calculator Looks Like Piano Keyboard
Calculator that looks like a piano keyboard
Piano Keyboard Calculator

New in the Piano World online store (PianoSupplies.com) now.
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Helping you become a better player
(ad)
Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hallet Davis baby grand with sticking keys
by David68
08/25/16 12:50 PM
Difference between Kawai pianos
by dreja
08/25/16 09:53 AM
Under €1000 stage piano (used)
by Bachus
08/25/16 08:37 AM
Flood damaged piano
by David Jenson
08/25/16 07:50 AM
Help Regarding a Yamaha P-105
by Muli
08/25/16 07:01 AM
Forum Stats
84,767 Registered Members
44 Forums
174,735 Topics
2,550,253 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission