2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Dear Many Wonderful Teachers Here,

Please tell me your best recommendation for an artist style (or other adjustable) piano bench for studio use. I teach around 70 students a week, many of the lessons are here in my studio.

I'd like to hear some tested recommendations from other studio teachers instead of just rushing to buy the first bench I see on-line, which I almost just did!

I've been using a $60 X frame, portable, easily adjustable bench, but it squeaks now and I need an artist style or other adjustable style bench that doesn't squeak, that will last for years, that is height-adjustable. What are the good names in artist benches? Who are the good vendors? What's your recommendation? Thanks!!!!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Click on pianosupplies.com at the bottom of this page and then on piano benches. By all means, you want one which is adjustable.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I've sat on dozens of different artist benches, and they all squeak after a while. You have to tighten the screws frequently, but even that doesn't solve all the squeaking problems.

I'd suggest getting the tallest adjustable benches possible. Most artist benches are too low. The one I bought was just right for me at the maximum height, but too low for my students, and I have to use boxes and yellowpages make the bench even higher. What a waste of my $500.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have two benches from this firm - both are excellent and have held up well. No squeaks.

http://www.burghardtbaenke.de/englisch/inhalte_englisch/inhalt_englisch.html

There may be a source here in the USA.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Those benches, John - the duet one! It looks gorgeous. I wanted one as soon as I saw it, and a Beethoven chair too.

*looks into her empty wallet and sighs*

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I bought mine on Ebay for about $130 w/shipping. I know it's not the same brand as the more expensive bench but so far it's held up just fine and looks very nice in front of my baby grand. I just typed in 'artist bench' and came up with the following item:

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...&satitle=artist+bench&category0=

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
OP Offline
John, and everbody, Thank you for helping me!

I bought my Jansen artist bench from www.pianosupply.com. It has been holding up to much use over the past year and a half very well (being used by the smallest of children to the largest of adults). I can even raise and lower it while I am sitting on it. I am very pleased with it -- the only thing that I would improve would be to have leather-covered buttons (instead of painted ones, as the paint is scraping off).

private piano instructor
If I had it to do over, I'd avoid a vinyl covered artist bench, mine split after 3 years of use. Leather should hold up better and may be worth the extra cost. I recovered the bench in upholstery fabric and it's been fine ever since.

Independent Piano Teacher 1987 (full-time)
I sprung for the leather -- every vinyl bench that I have ever used squeaks whenever I shift my weight (as well as cracking after a few years as bondpiano mentioned).

private piano instructor
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
The problem with the duet bench is if you have two different heights needed. The best thing to do is to have two artist's benches that you put sideways. But that's pretty expensive. Now, if I have to play a duet with a student, I'll just bring a stool over to the piano. The height's all wrong for me, but I can deal with it. For duet at a recital, I'll bring in my artist bench at home for them to use.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Hello,

I faced a similar experience as you with trying to find a new piano bench.

My old piano bench was a hard and stiff bench that didn't have padding or a height adjuster.

I made website that gives information on the best piano benches.

http://bestsheetmusiceditions.com/best-piano-benches/

I was actually able to try out one of the benches at Cal Arts and made a recording while using a hydraulic bench.

https://youtu.be/GHpUGus5xAA

I think that having a good bench also helps with relaxation and for producing a warmer sound on the piano.

Hope this helps with your search for a good piano bench!

Last edited by liplylie; 07/24/16 11:51 PM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by liplylie
Hello,

I faced a similar experience as you with trying to find a new piano bench.

My old piano bench was a hard and stiff bench that didn't have padding or a height adjuster.

I went online and found a pretty good website that gave information on the best piano benches.

http://bestsheetmusiceditions.com/best-piano-benches/

I was actually able to try out one of the benches at Cal Arts and made a recording while using a hydraulic bench.

https://youtu.be/GHpUGus5xAA

I think that having a good bench also helps with relaxation and for producing a warmer sound on the piano.

Hope this helps with your search for a good piano bench!

Jordan, don't you think that you should reference somewhere that the reference link is your personal blog and therefore your opinions??? the 'giveaway' is that you post a YouTube link in this post to your personal testing of a hydraulic bench, but this is identical to the YouTube link in the blog. To say you 'went online and found this helpful website' is very misleading when this is your website. You really didn't just happen to find it.

L
L
You're right, I made some edits.

Just a little shy with sharing some of my personal thoughts.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
For teaching I suggest you take one of those hydraulic ones, they are much easier and quicker to adjust than those with a turning knob.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
PLEASE do not feed the troll, Liplylie, by continuing this thread... his original post stated he 'happened to find a website which rated piano benches' when in fact that website is his. When called on this, he changed the post to acknowledge this is his own website.

Please note that all of the links on his website are to purchase on Amazon. For each purchase made by clicking on his link, he receives 10% of the purchase price. I don't see how his statement that he is 'a little shy' is credible given this sequence of posts and that he links to Amazon as the only place of purchase.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission