2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 445 of 540 1 2 443 444 445 446 447 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Those are some wonderful achievements SwissMs!

Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Well, they say learning and instrument, a new language, or giving up retirement keeps you young. I and still learning what feels like a new instrument every time I start practice, am linguistically challenged even in my mother tongue, but can attest to the third suggestion. Mind you there is another saying that I feel is appropriate - Never worked and never will. Although we have never worked harder in our lives, it remains a joy to be involved with what we have created. But to get back on topic, I had the best lesson ever last week. The first after about 8 weeks by now. I really had only played about 2 hrs after an extended absence so really wondered about even going and I am so glad I did. Beethoven's Sonata No15 is almost there. Into the last 10% was what my teacher proclaimed. Phew! Now for the fun bit.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I started the Aria from the Goldburg Variations for a change of pace and was pretty pleased with my weeks work on it. A lesson helped simplify bars 21 and 23 with the really funny squiggles, which different people on Youtube play differently! But now I'm out of town so practice time is down. I know I could have nailed it this week. Will have to skip a lesson too so maybe I'll be back on track by then.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
My AOTW is resuming lessons after almost two months off. It's good to get back to lessons, though (sigh) they never get easier nerves-wise.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I hear you Stubbie! I have THREE months off every year and it drives me absolutely insane. I won't get back to my teacher for another six weeks. frown

My AOTW was to see that my new pieces have not fallen apart after a week away from the piano (traveling for a little holiday). In fact they sounded pretty good.
I am pleased.

I have also found that these pieces are giving me more scope for being expressive - or maybe I've just picked up new skills that are letting me make the music sing in a fuller, more stirring way. Whatever the case, again, I am pleased.

[Linked Image]

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I's great that you're becoming more secure in your technique! But beware of playing OVER-expressively. There are examples on YouTube of concert pianists performing horribly over-wrought versions of a 'lollipop' like 'Minuet in G. They seem to find it hard to accept its simplicity. As we say when an actor is doing too much 'acting' - trust your material.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
I's great that you're becoming more secure in your technique! But beware of playing OVER-expressively. There are examples on YouTube of concert pianists performing horribly over-wrought versions of a 'lollipop' like 'Minuet in G. They seem to find it hard to accept its simplicity. As we say when an actor is doing too much 'acting' - trust your material.

Thanks! Your point is well taken. I've seen /heard some over-the-top performances too. I don't think I'm at risk for the moment simply because I am just starting to feel able to give a bit more smile For the future, I will trust that my own sense of good taste will keep me on track --- not to mention the fact that my teacher will be quick to set me straight should I even be tempted to get carried away!

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
oh, and btw... I'm actually working on 2 minuets in G smile (though they aren't my newest pieces).

[Linked Image]

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My AOTW is that on returning to the 40 piece challenge after neglecting it horribly between March and June, I've seen a dramatic improvement in my ability to get to grips with easier (for me) pieces.
Last year I took a bunch of my pieces for the challenge from Classics to Moderns Book 2, and they took me typically 1-2 weeks to get acceptable for the challenge.
This year I stepped up to Book 3, and over the last couple of weeks I've got a number of them to the "acceptable" point in 2-4 days, along with a couple of pieces from Faber Jazz & Blues Level 4 in a similar timeframe. Now admittedly I have also prioritised the challenge so the pieces are getting more time per day than the Book 2 pieces that were taking 1-2 weeks last year.
All the same, it's definitely the case that I'm taking material that's a bit more challenging, and I'm getting it basically playable more quickly, which is really encouraging.

[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Excellent! Trust your musicianship, and trust the composer.

After all, you're hardly an 'adult beginner' any more. You've been posting here as long as I can remember. Time to graduate? :-)

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Excellent! Trust your musicianship, and trust the composer.

After all, you're hardly an 'adult beginner' any more. You've been posting here as long as I can remember. Time to graduate? :-)

Well..... technically, having started to play as an adult, I will always be an adult beginner. smile

On the other hand, it is true, I am not at a beginner level anymore.

I am certainly not Pianist Corner material either.

I am just one of the many who will continue to hang out here because it is the friendliest place to be.

[Linked Image]

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by casinitaly

On the other hand, it is true, I am not at a beginner level anymore.

I am certainly not Pianist Corner material either.

I am just one of the many who will continue to hang out here because it is the friendliest place to be.

It is a comfort to know there are those of like mind out there!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I am off to my next lesson later today and I think things have changed quite dramatically lately. I am going with very specific questions for help in several pieces I am working on. It isn't just a weekly 'progress report' anymore and worrying about what Teacher thinks.
It's more about what I want to achieve and where I have got stuck. I probably can work through on my own but I know that he will immediately have a solution or suggestion that will make such a difference I'll hardly believe it. Guess that's why I pay the guy!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Palmpirate I hear you! There's not always a good reason to struggle with figuring out something when you know that your teacher can sort you , and it, out in a flash.

My AOTW is that I played, for an audience.....and did really welll. I have NEVER played so well with someone listening.

It was my friend who helped me pick out my piano . We have decided to work on a duet, so he came over to work on it.

Before trying the duet he said he wanted to hear me play.

I played my Diabelli sonatina, 3 minuets, my 2 new pieces and Morning prayer.

I played so well that my husband came into the room to double-check who was playing. He said he'd never heard me play so well. (And he hasn't !)

My friend hadn't heard me play for about six months and he was impressed .

I am tickled pink. I feel this is a significant breakthrough.

[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Cas, that has got to feel just wonderful! Congratulations! That kind of experience is like a booster rocket that puts you in orbit. Enjoy!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow! Cas, that's great!!!

Learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Casinitaly! That is quite a long program to play for an audience, and it sounds like you did fantastic!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
CasinItaly, that made me smile very widely. Congratulations, that must be a great feeling!
What got me excited (like so many others here) is returning to lessons but even more than that, two things:
- with my teacher, a plan to work towards overcoming my performance anxiety
- and he has me moved me on to Grade 8 pieces :-) :-) :-)

The first is Mozart K309, starting with the Rondeau which I'm coping with very well.

So - I'm back to where I left off 38 years ago. Perhaps I will get to be good by the time I'm 60 after all.

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats C. thumb Sounds like you have really made a big transition in playing for other people. All those recitals and EPP's are paying off bigtime, as they should, in allowing you to relax and let your musicality come through. Sono molto felice per te!!

My AOTW is getting back to the bench after nearly three weeks away from the piano. Vacationed hiking and sightseeing across six western states. Had a fantastic time, culminating in my favorite niece's wedding in the Seattle area. It took a few days to get the Liszt and Bach pieces back to where they were, but the layoff has me hearing it better than before.... hoping that also translates into the playing as I resume work with my teacher this week.

I haven't contributed much around here lately, but I still read all of the posts.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Three year pianoversary is today.

Boy those three years have gone by fast. Started at age 57, now I'm 60. Have probably played 500+ pieces of all sorts in that time frame.

Started with playing Mary Had a Little Lamb, just finished a Beethoven Sonatina in original form.

Goes to show what happens when you combine a great teacher, relentless work ethic, a great instrument, and spousal support.

And yes... The ABF has helped me along as well smile

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Page 445 of 540 1 2 443 444 445 446 447 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission