Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
119 registered (AndrewJCW, anamnesis, ADWyatt, Albunea, alwatson, 37 invisible), 1914 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2559350 - 07/28/16 01:28 PM List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual
bill5 Offline

Granted for some there's less need, depending on how they're laid out or what you're doing, and for many you can save some fav ones to have on instant recall, etc etc. But otherwise, if you have to punch a number in to go directly to the voice, is anyone else amazed that companies don't include a list of all numbers of every voice in the manual? wtfo?? So I have to memorize them or make my own list? That's incredibly lame IMO.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2559355 - 07/28/16 01:58 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
What DP or keyboard are you referring to? For my MOX6, which has tons of sounds and performances (which are groups of sounds), they do have them printed in the manual, but it's one of the extra manuals you need to download, not the printed one they give you. Perhaps your manufacturer has this info in a different pdf?

#2559367 - 07/28/16 02:24 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]
bill5 Offline

No one in particular; general observation. I'm happy to hear there are exceptions...but even then, it's weak that it isn't given to you w/the purchase IMO.

Edited by bill5 (07/28/16 02:24 PM)

#2559372 - 07/28/16 02:39 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]

Originally Posted By bill5
No one in particular; general observation. I'm happy to hear there are exceptions...but even then, it's weak that it isn't given to you w/the purchase IMO.

I agree, but for this particular instrument, there were 2-3 other manuals, so it would be a several hundred page book they would be printing out for each model. Many are opting to have pdfs, and if someone needs to print it out they can, otherwise look at it on their computer.

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2559385 - 07/28/16 03:36 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I'm a bit surprised by this too, as models I've owned from Casio, Roland, Kawai, and Yamaha all listed all the voices. Sometimes the 'hidden'* midi GM voices were listed in a separate manual, for example the midi manual. I think it's a design decision not to list the GM voices in the user manual but they have always been listed somewhere in the complete set of manuals.

*I say hidden because my recollection is they are not always accessible from the panel buttons.

#2559387 - 07/28/16 03:42 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Roland, and I think Yamaha DPs do have full lists both in the book you get with it and online if you need it. It does come in handy to have a 'map', given that there are over 300 voices.

The thing is, probably only a handful of people are really going to use it so it makes sense to have them available online only, tropical rainforest-wise.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Focusrite Saffire 24
W7, i7 4770, 16GB / Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck

#2559417 - 07/28/16 07:34 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]
Kawai James Offline

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
...is anyone else amazed that companies don't include a list of all numbers of every voice in the manual?

Originally Posted By Morodiene
What DP or keyboard are you referring to?

I'm pretty sure the major manufactures include this information in the appendix of the instrument's owner's manual, or within a separate document - either printed or digital.

May I reiterate Morodiene's question and ask which instrument(s) you are referring to?
If the information is "never in the manual" it should be possible to cite some examples to support your claim, surely?

Kind regards,
James
x

#2559445 - 07/28/16 10:32 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: Kawai James]

Originally Posted By Kawai James

If the information is "never in the manual" it should be possible to cite some examples to support your claim, surely?

+1

#2559446 - 07/28/16 10:34 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]
ColoRodney Offline

I've never seen a manual that did not include a key to the voices.

Now, I would love to see more DETAILED description of the voices. For instance, when Kawai makes a voice called "Jazz Piano," or "Modern Piano," what does that actually mean? How were the sounds tweaked, what are those patches supposed to be particularly useful for? What were the sound designers striving for?

#2559465 - 07/29/16 12:06 AM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: ColoRodney]
Kawai James Offline

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By ColoRodney
Now, I would love to see more DETAILED description of the voices. For instance, when Kawai makes a voice called "Jazz Piano," or "Modern Piano," what does that actually mean? How were the sounds tweaked, what are those patches supposed to be particularly useful for? What were the sound designers striving for?

Yes, I understand your point Rodney, however there's not always space in the owner's manual to cover that kind of detailed information.

Cheers,
James
x

#2559469 - 07/29/16 12:41 AM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: ColoRodney]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By ColoRodney
I've never seen a manual that did not include a key to the voices.

I think that's a bit much to ask. All you need is a list which gives you an idea of what sort of sound it is, so you can find them quickly. It's up to the player to go through them and decide if they like them. It's not up to manufacturers to tell you how to go about constructing your music.

#2559613 - 07/29/16 04:29 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]
Tom LC Offline

Loc: So. Calif.
I also would like to know more about the Kawai Jazz and Modern piano voices. Are the also Harmonic Imaging XL Sound Technology like the SK voices?

#2559693 - 07/29/16 10:25 PM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]
JazzyMac Offline

Loc: World Traveler
Every keyboard I've played with and/or purchased has a separate reference manual for voices, styles, and other sounds. It's never in the main manual, and at first I too missed it and was a bit frustrated...this was with the MoX8 I think. But then I found the reference manual. (Didn't keep the MoX8)

#2559911 - 07/31/16 12:29 AM Re: List of voices - anyone else amazed it's never in the manual [Re: bill5]
lithedreamer Offline

Anecdote: My CN35 came with a list of demo songs, list of (all 324) voices and even a list of drum kits all with the paper manuals.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Italy Members - Please Check In
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Calculator Looks Like Piano Keyboard
Calculator that looks like a piano keyboard
Piano Keyboard Calculator

New in the Piano World online store (PianoSupplies.com) now.
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Helping you become a better player
(ad)
Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
So after testing, is the Kawai ES 8 the best for its price?
by pchardwaregeek
Today at 05:07 PM
Vibration on pedals and bass section of the keyboard
by Rguroo
Today at 02:52 PM
Yamaha G2: what do you think?
by Bellicapelli
Today at 01:38 PM
Difference between Roland S2 and Lx-7 or Lx-17
by augustm
Today at 01:36 PM
Pop music methods - any good ones?
by Morodiene
Today at 12:42 PM
Forum Stats
84,789 Registered Members
44 Forums
174,787 Topics
2,550,903 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission