2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dbach Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello. This is my first post here on PW and as an amateur pianist, I will post various questions and, through time, hope to be able to participate throughout the forum.

I wish to know what 'piano schools' both Schiff and Sokolov play. German? Russian? etc. I mention these two as they are my favourite pianists. Yet, I notice that they both play completely differently. Schiff sits very still, low and upright whereas Sokolov seems to sit high, moves a lot when he plays and hunches over the keyboard. Also, Schiff seems to sit further back from the keyboard whereas Sokolov seems to somewhat hunch over the keyboard, looking directly down to the keys.

I prefer how Schiff sits and plays at the piano. He said in a masterclass that the music should be flowing, not you. I agree with this.

I wish to study a particular method of 'school' (preferably Schiff) and would like any further information on their 'schools' and any other stylistic schooling that may be out there. French? Italian? etc.

I was led to this forum via the following thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/948834/5.html

Do Schiff and Sokolov employ the Arm Weight Technique? It seems to me that they do, though Sokolov's fingers do 'bounce' and 'fly' more than Schiff's.

I would be grateful for any response/information as although I am an amateur, I wish to study hard, go to music school and give my utmost best to make a career out of the piano.

Kind regards

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dbach

I wish to know what 'piano schools' both Schiff and Sokolov play. German? Russian? etc. I mention these two as they are my favourite pianists. Yet, I notice that they both play completely differently. Schiff sits very still, low and upright whereas Sokolov seems to sit high, moves a lot when he plays and hunches over the keyboard.

I don't think you should regard their 'schools' as being responsible for the way they sit and their posture. Pianists are individuals, and everybody is built differently, and have to adopt the seat height and posture that suits them.

Sokolov is obviously the product of the 'Russian school' - he won the Tchaikovsky Competition as a fully-fledged virtuoso at 16, during the era of The Iron Curtain. But compare him with Vladimir Ashkenazy and Mikhail Pletnev, both also products of the Russian school, and you can see their completely different styles from Sokolov and from each other - though when they play Russian music, you can immediately hear the "Russianness" in their playing (though not so much in Western European music), in their tonal production. Pletnev sits upright and barely moves his body, even when doing the most amazing acrobatics at the keyboard, and looks the very opposite of the stereotypical "Russian bear".

Whereas Schiff is from the Central European tradition, but despite being schooled in Hungary, he doesn't play Liszt, and doesn't have the power of the Russians - even his Brahms and Bartók sounds lightweight (actually his Beethoven too......). You can't tell from his playing what school he comes from.

As for 'arm weight', you have to use it, once you start playing advanced music with big chords and octaves - whatever school you study in. (My teachers never once mentioned 'arm weight' to me - I just naturally started using it when the time came....). I don't know what your current standard is, but you'd be better off studying with a good teacher (whatever 'school' he or she claims to be from), and when you go to a conservatoire, choose your teacher accordingly: by then, you'll know better what kind of teacher you prefer, to get you to the next step. These days, all conservatoires have teachers from all 'schools' - you don't have to go to Vienna to study with a teacher steeped in the Austro-German tradition, or to Moscow to find a Russian teacher.

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
M
I find that there is very little value in the names of these "schools" of playing piano. It's like the term "bel canto" for classical singing: it's used by so many people who teach widely different things that the term has no meaning.

It is best not to worry about these terms and trying to figure them out, and just appreciate each performer for their own abilities and observe how they play. But understand, while we're all human, our specific physiology may mean we will look different when playing. There are some famous pianists who you just shouldn't imitate, even though what they did obviously worked well for them.

Best to work with a teacher who can help you arrive at a technique that allows you to play your best in a healthy way. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
dbach Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Many thanks for your responses.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission