2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
During the last two weeks I attended Chuck Behm's Small Shop Academy in which we restored a 100 year old upright piano. It was a great time by all and I learned a lot.

Here is a cursory list of what we learned.

Rebuild 100 Year Old Upright Piano:

1) Disassemble, strip, sand and refinish Case/Bench
2) Replace broken and/or reglue loose key tops
3) Clean and polish all key tops
4) Remove rust and polish all hardware
5) Install new heavy duty casters
6) Remove base strings and ship to vendor to fabricate new ones
7) Remove Pin Block, fabricate and install new pin block
8) Install new tuning pins and strings
9) Repair cracked sound board
10) Reshape hammers
11) Install new Dampers
12) Tune and regulate reassembled piano

In Addition we learned the following skills working on several other upright Pianos:

13) Removed #2 Tuning pins and replaced with #4 Tuning Pins
14) Removed outside hammers to be used as a model for fabricating new hammers
15) Installed new plastic key tops
16) Applied new decals

I now feel comfortable using these new skills to work on upright pianos in my own workshop. Some of the skills still need practice and I will use one of my "beater" pianos to hone them in.

Here is a before photo:

[Linked Image]

And here is an after photo:

[Linked Image]

Many Thanks to Chuck Behm,

- Rick

Learning to play the piano, very happy with my 1907 Ivers Pond uprights, and ready to part with my Yamha C7 - not the sound I like.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Seeing something done beats hearing about it every time.

Good luck,
Craig

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration
Watch us on YouTube

I've learned better than to shout,"Eureka!"
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
[quote]Seeing something done beats hearing about it every time. - Craig Hair/quote]

Thanks, Craig. In this case, the 4 participants didn't just see something done, they did it themselves. 99.9% of the work done, including the entire refinishing, the routing out of pinfields and installation of new pinblock panels, the repinning and refinishing, the overhaul of the action and the reassembly of the piano - all this was done by the participants and not by me. I just demonstrated techniques and methods, and let them learn by doing.

Go to my facebook page (Chuck Behm) to see more of what we did. Thanks again. Chuck Behm

Last edited by Chuck Behm, CPT-E; 08/08/16 09:36 AM.

Tuner/Technician/Rebuilder/Technical Writer
www.pianopromoproductions.com
515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
It's encouraging to see some of these old gems made playable again.

H
H
What a beauty! I love the new finish! How does an apprentice technician learn more about refinishing? Should I go to the library and take some woodworking books is it related to piano? I can't afford to go to Iowa for that academy ;-p

M
OP Offline
M
Contact Chuck Behm or check out his Facebook page. He has a lot of articles that cover refinishing and other aspects of piano restoration.

P.S. Here is a photo where we were working on the pin block. You can see we used a router to remove the old pin block and the new one is going to have two parts:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by musicNow; 08/08/16 03:10 PM.

Learning to play the piano, very happy with my 1907 Ivers Pond uprights, and ready to part with my Yamha C7 - not the sound I like.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
To HelloMrZebra (interesting choice of psedonyms!)

I began learning the restoration trade 40 some years ago using the trial and error (with the emphasis on 'error') method of training. Granted, in the modern world there is a lot more opportunity to pick up ideas for free, but actually being in a bonafide piano shop using a variety of tools and having methods explained to you by someone who does this type of work for a business is not something you can duplicate by just going online. Just food for thought.

Here's a look at the piano (a 1904 Geo. Bent upright) that we will be restoring in the next session, coming up the last week of January and the first week of February, 2017: In addition to repairing serious damage to the case before refinishing it with our 3 coat, brushed on finish, we will be accomplishing the following:
1. Regluing loose ribs
2. Shimming and refinishing the soundboard
3. Repairing and / or recapping bridges
4. Routering out pinfields for new pinblock panels
5. Installing new #2 pins and new strings
6. Installing new hammers
7. Refelting and releathering hammer butts and wippens
8. Installing new dampers, damper rail and hammer rail felt
9. Installing all new action springs
10. Refelting the keybed
11. Rebushing the keys
12. Installing new keytops
13. Refinishing the ebony sharps
14. Regulating the action
15. Tuning the piano and voicing the hammers

Anyway, here's a look at the piano. Enrollment in the session will be limited to 6 participants, so if it's something you're interested in, contact me soon.
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

Hi all - I should clarify that there is a tuition ($2400) for the upcoming session for rebuilding an upright piano. I put everything on hold for 2 weeks to teach the class, so am forfeiting a substantial income from tuning. January through Easter I'm out tuning every day under ordinary circumstances. I've had several inquiries from folks and it should be understood that this is not a cost free class.

For those interested, I do have several payment options. Drop me a note and I'll provide a link if you would like to check those out.

Thanks for your understanding. I didn't intend to make this thread into a commercial, but it was evident from a number of emails that I was receiving that I needed to provide clarification. Chuck Behm

515-212-9220

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
4. Routering out pinfields for new pinblock panels

Chuck,

I always had thought (hypothetically, not by any experience) that new pinblock material inlays would be the solution, particularly for uprights but also for many grands where the removal and replacement of the entire pinblock structure would be next to impossible.

My question is: How are these inlays secured so that they effectively become an integral part of the structure?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

Hi Bill - First of all, we glue the panels in place with West System epoxy. Each panel is then screwed down to the wood underneath (the panels in this most recent restoration were 1 1/2" maple from Schaff. Then, of course, the cast iron plate is secured on top of the completed installation. In all the installations I've done, I've yet to have any problem with a panel working its way loose, so I think it's a legitimate way to do it.

With a grand, it is possible to install panels, but when the original pinblock stays in place, your ordinary router only works in the center and back end of the pinfields. In order to get in close to the stretcher and sides, one must use an offset router, which typically is belt driven, underpowered and very time consuming. Chuck

515-212-9220

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

Bill - Here's a photo showing the West System epoxy being brushed on inside the cavity for the new panels: [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

And here's another showing the panels being screwed down after the gluing process: [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

And finally one of the plate being lowered back into place:

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Thanks for asking about the process. Best regards, Chuck

515-212-9220

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Ah, excellent, Chuck! Exactly as I imagined it would be done. Somewhat the way steel reinforced concrete works in buildings. Neither material would suffice on its own but the combination of the two results in a solid structure.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission