2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
benali Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi to you all.
I would very much appreciate any advice from the expert technicians here.
I have a brand new CF6 for the past two months, and it was regulated about 4 weeks after it arrived. I am finding some aspects of the action very problematic. One piece is causing big problems-chopin's etude op 10 no 2. For those who may not know it, its basically a chromatic study on the 3rd 4th and 5th fingers with chords underneath-and very fast. I just cannot get anywhere near the speed of 144 without my fingers and wrist seizing up and yet on a clapped out clavinova I can play it fairly well. It feels like my fingers have great difficulty right from the start in going between the black and white keys-almost as if the distances are too great-but the guy who regulated it thought it was fine(although I dont think he actually checked it properly.) Also playing repeated chords in the L H is very difficuly at speed. I have done some tough weight checks and there is inconsistancy -most of the middle range is 55g but several notes here and there requre an extre few grams to go down. upweight seems to be about 35g. I measured these about a cm from the edge.
I am really frustrated because it just doesnt feel right. However certain other aspects are great-repeated notes, and octave glissandos are so easy.Ant thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Stephen

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Do you depress the sustain pedal when you measure touchweight?
Can you play at ppp a chromatic scale with consistent touch?

x-rpt
retired ptg member
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
What you are probably having issues with is the extra inertia with your new Yamaha compared to the Clavinova that you've gotten used to.

Why did you purchase this piano if you're having difficulties with the action?

B
benali Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Many thanks for your replies.
Yes I did have the pedal down. I will try chromatic scale.
Ed, I dont believe that inertia is the case; I have owned other pianos. The Clavinova never has been my proper piano. The CF6 does have an amazing tone, and also many experts have said the action is as good as anything around.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
If your touch weights are 55 down 35 up that should be a fast action
Even a little on the light side for friction
I believe with a fine regulation it should meet your needs
You say the tone is great-if it were a bit muted and in need of voicing up it could cause you to struggle to get the power/tone you want.
One other thought:
Does the keys lift the dampers about the same height as the sustain pedal?

Last edited by Gene Nelson; 08/23/16 08:05 PM.
B
benali Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Gene,
Is it a problem that several of the keys are heavier downweights?
Also the sustaining pedal is very tight (actually makes my foot ache) could that be effecting it?(although on the Chopin etude I use no pedal)
Many thanks
Stephen

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I think you just need time to get used to the action. Work on slower pieces, or playing pieces more slowly, until you get used to the new piano. Playing things slowly is good practice anyway.

There was a video I found some time ago that said that one way to preserve your strength is to remember that after you initially play the note, you do not need to press it any harder than to hold it down and the damper up. The same is true of the pedals.

Semipro Tech
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
It's unusual to find a heavy Yamaha action. Have you compared your piano to other Yamaha grands?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by benali
Thanks Gene,
Is it a problem that several of the keys are heavier downweights?
Also the sustaining pedal is very tight (actually makes my foot ache) could that be effecting it?(although on the Chopin etude I use no pedal)
Many thanks
Stephen

Uneven touch could be a problem but how uneven are they.
Sustain pedal can be freed up
I'd suggest you get a technician that is qualified to evaluate your piano
Try www.prg.org and search for a tech in your area

x-rpt
retired ptg member
N
N
www.ptg.org might work better smile

To the OP - could you tell us more about the other pianos you have played on, and not found this to be a problem? Were they new, old, vertical, grand, etc? What size?

I agree with others - your model of piano is typically on the easier end in terms of touch...

Last edited by Nathan Monteleone; 08/24/16 11:32 AM.

Nathan Monteleone, Piano Technician
B
benali Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Nathan,
I have played on a variety. I had a 1908 Bechstein B until recently, and a series of uprights. I played Rach 3 on a Steinway where the touch was definately heavier.
I honestly dont think its to do with a heavy action, because if that was the case on the Chopin Etude I would be getting tired maybe 3rd page, but I am finding it tough from bar one-in fact for anyone who knows this piece I cannot begin the RH "A" (1st note with the 4th finger because when I cross over with the 3rd to Bflat at speed it just wont happen properly. At times the B flat doesnt sound. Also odd notes in that chromatic passage will not sound. I did play a chromatic scale today in normal fashion very fast and very soft no problem. I can only really describe it as my fingers having to work very hand and in an awkward manner in anything other than a very moderate tempo.
This is the same piece on the Yamaha CFX and I cannot get anywhere near that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of_afnCe4IE

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks for the typo correction Nathan

x-rpt
retired ptg member
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I watched the video.
I agree yours is not a heavy action and should function like that cfx. I believe the touch is inconsistent for reasons that I cannot deduce from just reading your posts. It could be regulation, excess friction on some parts, perception for various reasons, room acoustics, just not certain but I do believe that your experience demonstrates your adaptability to different pianos so I will stick with my ideas.
It is interesting that you can play a pp or ppp chromatic scale and all is ok but some notes do not play when you do that chromatic passage you refer to.
I do believe that your Yamaha can be regulated to perform the way you desire. It will take someone that knows how to regulate for performance to go through it completely and eliminate any excess friction in keys, whippen and hammer flanges and damper flanges, damper guide rails.
To be certain key height, key travel, hammer travel are accurate along with damper regulation and voicing.
Just to give you an idea - Yamaha puts a class on at conventions about the 37 separate regulation adjustments that must be made and keep in mind that most every one will affect others so they need to be repeated until you reach a point of deminishing returns.
Do you know who regulated the CFX in the video? I would look him/her up.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by benali
Hi Nathan,
I have played on a variety. I had a 1908 Bechstein B until recently, and a series of uprights. I played Rach 3 on a Steinway where the touch was definately heavier.
I honestly dont think its to do with a heavy action, because if that was the case on the Chopin Etude I would be getting tired maybe 3rd page, but I am finding it tough from bar one-in fact for anyone who knows this piece I cannot begin the RH "A" (1st note with the 4th finger because when I cross over with the 3rd to Bflat at speed it just wont happen properly. At times the B flat doesnt sound. Also odd notes in that chromatic passage will not sound. I did play a chromatic scale today in normal fashion very fast and very soft no problem. I can only really describe it as my fingers having to work very hand and in an awkward manner in anything other than a very moderate tempo.
This is the same piece on the Yamaha CFX and I cannot get anywhere near that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of_afnCe4IE

What do you mean by notes not sounding?

A video of someone else playing on a different piano says nothing about your playing on your piano.

Semipro Tech
N
N
Yeah I agree with others that it's sounding more and more like something is up with the regulation.

Nathan Monteleone, Piano Technician
B
benali Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Gene,
Thanks again for your very helpful insights.I am going to push Yamaha to sort it out.
BDB, my point was to show that the CF range is meant to be up with the best in terms of action. Showing the video shows what it is capable of. I was not insinuating anything about my own playing, but I have enough technique to know if I should be struggling with something or not. The issue of the notes not sounding is without doubt a regulation issue. Interestingly, at the beginning of the etude, I have more chance of the b flat sounding if the chord below the A is held for a crotchet rather than a semiquaver (Chopins other version), meaning that there seems to be an issue in the way those lower notes lift off, rather than the rapid movement across to the right with the 5321 (A,bflat,b natural, c) fingering.
The way I feel about the piano is that great potential is there, I just cannot in certain passages unlock it at present, and that is so frustrating.

T
T
Here are my thoughts:

If you are used to the Clavinova, you need time to master the action. If I have to play on a Clavinova, I had difficulties too.

I know this Chopin etude: do your black keys have enough side play? If not, you are catched between black and white keys. Are the sides of the black keys tacky or somehow sticky? Very little is maybe enough to make you struggle.

Maybe the after touch is more present on the Yamaha than on the Clavinova?

I suggest regulation of the action and especially the keys, carefully regulating the black keys to your demands.

B
benali Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Tuner,
Thanks very much for your input. What do you mean be side play exactly? I would say there is no stickiness or anything like that on the black keys. Do you think key dip could be made more shallow in order to reach the next note that bit quicker?
Thanks
stephen

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I wonder if the damper upstop rail is a little too low? And if your damper pedal travel is also too little. That would explain your playing sensations. Ask your tech to check that.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Also make sure the backchecks are not dragging on the hammer tails from a hard blow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission