2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello everyone!

I finally decided to learn the blues, and I'm starting by watching the David Bennet Cohen's video series. Although these videos are a great resource for learning, I feel that I learn a lot more if I pick blues songs by ear, but I'm having trouble finding the specifically kind of music that I want to learn

So, I wanna now if someone can list me some songs like the examples I'm listing bellow, and I'm also accepting any kind of tips like books or other video lessons.

Chuck Leavell - Evening Train
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ONULqnFAs

Chuck Leavell - Losing Hand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WebeanjCUXY

No Later On - Ann Rabson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eAXNsTcFD4

One for the highway - James Booker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15QgUmsIqjg

Junkers Blues - Willy Deville
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ4o9Vk7V-8

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Here's a slow one you'll probably pick up quickly ...

Tax Payers Blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl...&annotation_id=annotation_3498503333

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

A
A
iRocku.com teaches you blues rock tunes from Willie Dixon, Allman Bros, Professor Long Hair, Ray Charles, Dr. John, Rolling Stones and more. Go to ChuckLevell.com for a coupon code for 30% off.

Learning, Blues, Rock & Boogie

Yamaha P155
Roland Juno DS61
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for your replies!

Tax Payer Blues is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for

Albert, I know this website, but is it really good? I might try that

A
A
Lessons are taught in tiers 1-7 though you purchase a subscription of 3 levels: 1-3, 3-5, or 5-7. I'm doing 3-5 and usually starting at the 4 first. 6 & 7's are very challenging unless you regularly play in a band. Within each level you get a PDF and a video for the lesson, an improv at that level, an exercise, and a chord comping chart for accompanying in a band at different keys. So really true rock lessons. I'm currently working on Back Door Man by Willie Dixon (tho it's The Doors/Manzarek version). Next I'm going to tackle The Allman Bros "Jessica". It's got the improv pretty close to how Chuck Levell played it. Oh, by the way, while this site professes to be a 'Chuck Levell' tutorial site, Chuck Levelle doesn't do any of the teaching, it's all done by a guy around 25 years old. And while that concerned me at first I soon found that he really knew his stuff and was a good teacher as well. Apparently Chuck is a family friend and endorsed the site as well as allowed songs where he owned copyright to be used. I guess they get around ASCAP that way.

Yamaha P155
Roland Juno DS61
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Albert Brighten
Lessons are taught in tiers 1-7 though you purchase a subscription of 3 levels: 1-3, 3-5, or 5-7. I'm doing 3-5 and usually starting at the 4 first. 6 & 7's are very challenging unless you regularly play in a band. Within each level you get a PDF and a video for the lesson, an improv at that level, an exercise, and a chord comping chart for accompanying in a band at different keys. So really true rock lessons. I'm currently working on Back Door Man by Willie Dixon (tho it's The Doors/Manzarek version). Next I'm going to tackle The Allman Bros "Jessica". It's got the improv pretty close to how Chuck Levell played it. Oh, by the way, while this site professes to be a 'Chuck Levell' tutorial site, Chuck Levelle doesn't do any of the teaching, it's all done by a guy around 25 years old. And while that concerned me at first I soon found that he really knew his stuff and was a good teacher as well. Apparently Chuck is a family friend and endorsed the site as well as allowed songs where he owned copyright to be used. I guess they get around ASCAP that way.

I see. Besides this course, are you studying anything else? Like videos, books or anything? Can you tip me some songs with nice piano stuff to learn?

I see in your signature that you're learning the same stuff I plan to learn

A
A
I've subscribed to 'Piano With Willie' since 2009 and I currently study out of the Tricia Woods 3-volume set, 'Complete Blues Keyboard Method'. I too have benefited from David Bennett Cohen's video's as well.

Last edited by Albert Brighten; 09/02/16 12:25 AM.

Yamaha P155
Roland Juno DS61

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission