2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
Hi!
I've just played Blue Train (comping and soloing). This is jazz-blues which differ a bit from shuffle blues. The chord progression is a bit different and the rhythm is more charleston. I played this song in a band and I also got help from blues pianist teachers. One teacher told me that those two style are kinda simmilar. How would you view this? Also, how do you just olay and just feel the music?I tend to loose track of where I am when soloing. How do ypu fellow pianist view this? Just play and do not worry as my teacher said, right?

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I'll just comment on one issue you raised: losing track of where you are. There is no secret here, just keep playing the 12 bar blues form over and over, and eventually you'll just feel where you are without having to think about it. The form has an inevitability to it, but you just have to play it many times before that comes.

One tricky aspect of Blue Train is that it's a blues in Eb, which is rare. The vast majority of blues in the jazz world are in F or Bb.

That whole album may be my favorite Coltrane opus.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I think of it as a format more than a feeling.
There is a statement. i.e. "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog, snoopin round the door."
There is a repeat of the original statement. "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog, snoopin round the door."
Then there is a recapitulation. "You may wag your tail, but I ain't gonna feed you no more."

Consequently, there's no reason why there can't be a melodic phrase or phrases, presented in the same manner. With a format so simple, it leaves much room for individual expression. From the hoppinest boogie, to the lowest most deep dark Soulful Blues.

nada
D
D
On the question of how do you feel the music as you're playing, I suggest singing along with your soloing. You'll be amazed at how it makes your playing more melodic and soulful.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
jjo is right. If you keep playing the form, whatever it is, in the end you will feel when the changes occur, without having to think about it. And doing this with a basic 12 bar blues form is the easiest way to start to improvise (in a limited way). In fact after a while if you play the form wrong you will know straight away.

Blue Train is a 12 bar, but in C minor (not Eb) and of course has some added changes to make it a little more difficult.

BTW a straight 12 bar in Eb on Piano, whilst less common in Jazz is nevertheless a great key to play in. Try it out and you'll see why quite quickly.

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Farmerjones
I think of it as a format more than a feeling.
There is a statement. i.e. "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog, snoopin round the door."
There is a repeat of the original statement. "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog, snoopin round the door."
Then there is a recapitulation. "You may wag your tail, but I ain't gonna feed you no more."

You actually talking about riffs of 4 bars length . In one chorus are three of those. You can shorten the riff to two bars, then of them will be six:

"Snoopin round the door." (pause)
"Yes ,snoopin round the door." (pause)

"Hound dog near the door." ( pause )
"Still barks, damned dog!

And now the conclusion:

"Now I'll grab a stick, a nasty beast,
and will cast out to the street! "

All 12 bars.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Simon: Not sure why you say Blue Train is in C minor. All the good fake books show the first chord as Eb7#9, and that certainly is how I hear it. The soloing is clearly a regular blues, not a minor blues.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi jjo

The version of the head I remember was C minor, but I'm frequently wrong! The difference may be down to tenor sax being a transposing instrument, not to mention that your ear is undoubtedly better than mine.

In fact looking around on-line I see people posting that the first chord is as you say.

But I also found it stated that the head it is in Eb minor, and the solos Eb major.

Whichever is the case I'm happy to be corrected.

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Simon: One of the old Real Books has Blue Train as a C minor blues. The older Real Books,however, are filled with errors (no criticism intended of the original authors who did great work), and its interesting how they have become gospel among a certain level of musician that simply opens the books and plays what's there.

I've been fortunate, not through my own talents, but in having teachers and higher level musicians that I've played with, plus reading a lot, who have shown be more accurate chord changes for some tunes, and also more interesting ones and commonly played variations. When I learn a tune now, I look at as many lead sheets as I can find, and then listen to try to hear what the original, or the variation I'm copying, does. My ear is way less than perfect, but it's truly a worthy venture. It's good to question whats in the old Real Books, although on some gigs and jam sessions, I play "wrong" chords because I know that's what everyone else is relying on.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by jjo
Simon: One of the old Real Books has Blue Train as a C minor blues. The older Real Books,however, are filled with errors (no criticism intended of the original authors who did great work), and its interesting how they have become gospel among a certain level of musician that simply opens the books and plays what's there.
In BT basic type of chords - 7 / # 9, which is representative for the blues, and allows playing on it, both major and minor blues.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I play with a drum machine that shuffles every 8 bars. Consequently, it shuffles every 16 and 24 bars also. So when I play in 12 bar form, I get a shuffle at the end of every other round. As 24 is devisable by both 12 and 8. This is not theoretical. It actually happens in real life/real time. So I must be playing it right.

nada

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission