2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, 12 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
My usual tech of 20 years is scaling back his work due to family illness, and I'm feeling kind of lost. How does one find a great tech? I'm looking for someone who can really take the time with my piano and get it sounding amazing, which I know it can, if only I can find a person who is interested in doing that. I checked the Piano Tech Guild and there aren't that many to choose from. The first one is my once-regular guy, the second one is a elderly gent who is almost retired, the third one is a great restorer, but I'm not that fond of the actual sound of his pianos. The fourth guy I called a while back to help me find the "buzz" on my new old piano and, quite frankly, he didn't even want the job and insulted my piano in the conversation. There's only two more on this list, and I don't know anything about either one of them.

Help?

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Did you ask your present tech for a recommendation?

Where do you live? Once we know that there is a good chance that between all the techs, dealers, and piano owners here you will get a lot of recommendations.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/26/16 07:38 PM.
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
My usual tech of 20 years is scaling back his work due to family illness, and I'm feeling kind of lost. How does one find a great tech? I'm looking for someone who can really take the time with my piano and get it sounding amazing, which I know it can, if only I can find a person who is interested in doing that. I checked the Piano Tech Guild and there aren't that many to choose from. The first one is my once-regular guy, the second one is a elderly gent who is almost retired, the third one is a great restorer, but I'm not that fond of the actual sound of his pianos. The fourth guy I called a while back to help me find the "buzz" on my new old piano and, quite frankly, he didn't even want the job and insulted my piano in the conversation. There's only two more on this list, and I don't know anything about either one of them.

Help?

Ebonykawai, you're in a tough position. It seems like many of really good piano technicians are retiring and there are not enough really good ones to take their place. And, all piano techs are not created equal... some tout the astronomical level of their skill/ability and in reality it ain't that good.

So, you may just have to do the "trial and error" approach until you find a tech you really like and can be satisfied with.

The guy that didn't want to give you the time of day, and insulted your piano, he's the kind of piano tech that gives all others a bad name. One rotten apple can indeed spoil the whole barrel.

So, keep trying until you find someone that really fits and you get that "satisfaction vibe". smile

They are out there, and they are not always members of the PTG.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Do you have university with a decent music department near you? You might email them for recommendations.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Obviously you might ask your present piano technician for a referral. And that "elderly gent who is almost retired" might be superb to work with, and might fall in love with your piano. Give him a try. Ditto for the other two names on your PTG list. For the small cost of a tuning you can learn a great deal about a piano technician.

Beyond this, I might talk to a couple of professional jazz or classical pianists in the Buffalo area who are over 50yo. They'll know. So would similarly aged piano teachers.

ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I had the elderly tech here and he actually replaced my key top and did a great job. He told that he doesn't really do much other than tuning these days, and kind of likes it that way. He only did my key top because my regular tech was busy and this guy lives around the corner from me, and happened to be down the road on the morning I called him. I do like him.

There is another tech that tunes all of the University of Buffalo's pianos and organs. He does concert prep, too, and I did a little research and I think I'll give him a call. I really only need some small tweaks in voicing, at this point, since the hammers were brushed and needled last month and the tone is now wonderfully even. I really don't think there's that much more to do to get it sounding awesome, as it's most of the way there.

I'm in zip code 14120, but 14228 is also really close by. Wheatfield, North Tonawanda, and Amherst NY. Thanks, everyone!

ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I did it!!! I found an absolutely fantastic tech/tuner! Found him through one of our local universities (UB, my alma mater; my daughter also goes there, she's in her third year), where he just started working in August. Was highly recommended by his predecessor and wow, he sure knows his stuff!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I found a good one on Angie's List.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
We have ZERO on Angie's List for this area!! It's ridiculous! Anyway, his name (for those in WNY who are looking) is Devin Zimmer, he actually just moved here from Seattle. Can't say enough good about him, boy am I glad he moved here!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I found mine on Yelp. That's not normally where I go to find services. Unfortunately after dealing with some recommended technicians who weren't interested in working on old pianos I had to try some other things. My technician had good reviews and people specifically mentioned work he'd done on old pianos. He's been great. I tried to give him a good review and Yelp accused me of being a robot and deleted it. Danger danger Will Robinson! Unfortunately this won't help the OP in WNY.

ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
No worries, I'm all good now, lol! Yelp can be super helpful. 😊

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission