2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I've been tuning with Tunelab, regulating, voicing, and doing minor repairs for about 3 years now, and after having tuned for a showroom for about 1.5 years, I now work part-time
professionally for schools and private clients I get off of
Craigslist.

I've been to a PTG meeting as a guest, and I wasn't too impressed with what I learned. It was too much about people's personal experiences with the PTG conventions, and not enough practical techniques, but this may have been just this one meeting I went to. The classes taught at the conventions seem to be more in-depth.

The good thing was meeting a tuner who was willing to teach me how to tune aurally. Problem is, he is reluctant to teach anyone who is not at least an associate of the PTG, but he said he might make an exception for me.

But since it's not really my goal to be a full-time piano tech or rebuilder, I'm not sure the $300/year associate's fee would be worth it for me.

Any advice is appreciated....

Piano Player
Part-time Professional Piano Tuner/Technician
Piano Voicer In-Training
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I tune part time and I am a member. Just because I only service a few pianos a week does not mean that I don't want to do the best job I am capable of doing. I've learned a lot through local and national meetings and classes, and asking questions from PTG members. I'm only one test away from becoming an RPT, even though I'm only part time.

This is an encore career for me, since I already retired once. But that doesn't mean that I don't want to make a profit. Dues are about 3 tunings, which is a lot, since that is about what I do in a good week.

Of course, a lot depends on your local chapter, since that is your biggest exposure to the PTG. I'm fortunate to be within driving distance of a good chapter with an active schedule. Without that local chapter, it probably wouldn't be worth it for me. Next are the forums - just reading the conversations is educational, even if I don't fully understand a lot of the topics. I've also asked questions and gotten good answers.

Went to the convention in Norfolk and had a great time and learned a lot in just a few days.

So even with all the dues, training I've paid for (went to another Randy Potter seminar), test fees, travel and convention fees, I'm still making a profit for the year. One way to look at it is that my part-time tuning job has bought a lot of training.

And I think I am doing better work because of my membership in the PTG.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Sam S
I tune part time and I am a member. Just because I only service a few pianos a week does not mean that I don't want to do the best job I am capable of doing. I've learned a lot through local and national meetings and classes, and asking questions from PTG members. I'm only one test away from becoming an RPT, even though I'm only part time.

This is an encore career for me, since I already retired once. But that doesn't mean that I don't want to make a profit. Dues are about 3 tunings, which is a lot, since that is about what I do in a good week.

Of course, a lot depends on your local chapter, since that is your biggest exposure to the PTG. I'm fortunate to be within driving distance of a good chapter with an active schedule. Without that local chapter, it probably wouldn't be worth it for me. Next are the forums - just reading the conversations is educational, even if I don't fully understand a lot of the topics. I've also asked questions and gotten good answers.

Went to the convention in Norfolk and had a great time and learned a lot in just a few days.

So even with all the dues, training I've paid for (went to another Randy Potter seminar), test fees, travel and convention fees, I'm still making a profit for the year. One way to look at it is that my part-time tuning job has bought a lot of training.

And I think I am doing better work because of my membership in the PTG.

Sam

Thanks for the info.

So it's $300/year for associate members.

Once you become an RPT, how much a year do you have to pay?

I really want to learn how to tune aurally, mostly out of curiousity, really, and the ability to check the work of Tunelab.

Piano Player
Piano Voicer In-Training
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
I think it's worth it if you can afford it. I was an overseas Associate member for a few years, and had a few small things in the Journal. There is a feeling of community and support. I let it lapse because money became really tight, and then I went back into teaching, in a country with no pianos!

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Why not join for a year and see how it goes? If you have an active chapter it's worth the money. You can always opt out if it doesn't work out.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I highly recommend going to the events, regional and national conferences/conventions. The educational standard is high, and I always learn something that I didn't even know that I didn't know.

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Musicdude,
If you have the time to post on PW, you probably have the time to avail yourself of the advantages of PTG membership. Just a wild guess on my part though.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
N
N
The cost is the same whether you're an RPT or Associate.

I'm nowhere close to full time and I've been in the guild for 6 years now, so obviously I think it's worth it smile Granted I have a very active local chapter. But I also like getting the Journal and being able to go to conferences.

One suggestion -- if you want more technical information at chapter meetings, tell your chapter leadership! A lot of the time people are happy to teach PACE lessons, etc. if someone is actually interested.

Nathan Monteleone, Piano Technician
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
If you are selling your skills at professional level why would you not want to belong to a professional organization?
There are so many resources available to support us - it just dont happen anywhere else.
Also you will be able to give back what you learn to others.
it dont get any better than that.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't judge the chapter meeting from 1 visit! Find out when they have a normal technical session, instead of a convention review discussion which it sounds like you caught.

Yes, it is worthwhile to join the guild. The Journal magazine is a great source of information, plus an inspiration to get you thinking about your piano work and raise your awareness of different service aspects of piano service.

Also, the discounted rates at regional conferences are helpful - and the conventions and technical sessions are the most valuable events one can attend.

Learning in a skill like piano tuning and servicing in a void is definitely not a good way to go - all of us benefits from interacting with other technicians, and having the acquaintances that allow us to call for assistance when you get stuck on a problem piano.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Music Dude - the Guild has already paid off for you - you just met someone who is willing to teach your aural tuning by going to one meeting. I encourage you to shift your mindset away from "what will it do for me" and "is it worth it?". Think of it in terms of a partnership and a collaboration. You will be part of a rich community of some of the most amazing technicians in the world. Some of them just replied to your post!

PTG has raised the standards of the industry and has improved the lives of thousands of techncicians over many decades. Even non-members benefit from what PTG has done for the industry. Isn't that worth supporting?

There is such a huge variety of people in the Guild. There are some big egos, to be sure. But sometimes the real pearls of wisdom can come from the mild-mannered and unassuming. But I recommend taking it all in. Even under good circumstances it takes 20 years to get good at this trade. If you are serious, dive in! Give as much as you can. Stay humble and keep your ears and mind open.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by KawaiDon
Don't judge the chapter meeting from 1 visit! Find out when they have a normal technical session, instead of a convention review discussion which it sounds like you caught.

Yes, it is worthwhile to join the guild. The Journal magazine is a great source of information, plus an inspiration to get you thinking about your piano work and raise your awareness of different service aspects of piano service.

Also, the discounted rates at regional conferences are helpful - and the conventions and technical sessions are the most valuable events one can attend.

Learning in a skill like piano tuning and servicing in a void is definitely not a good way to go - all of us benefits from interacting with other technicians, and having the acquaintances that allow us to call for assistance when you get stuck on a problem piano.

Well, I personally know at least 4 piano technicians/re-builders in my area, who have mentored me extensively,
so I'm definitely not learning in a void. There is nothing
like learning from someone in person.

However, if you cannot get the recommended apprenticeship
or schooling, you can still learn much from reading Reblitz, and by researching the tons of information on the internet.

And the Piano World tech forum as been an invaluable resource for learning: I thank all of you for the excellent advice I have been given over these few years.

I must admit I started off as a DIYer tuner, as a piano player who only wanted to tune my own pianos. I never planned on doing it professionally, even part time, but I guess my love and fascination for the instrument has propelled me into tuning pianos for other people.

But it seems aural tuning is a skill that must be taught in person. Although I'm not really sure: Has there ever been anyone who learned aural tuning from a book or the internet alone??? Reblitz has extensive chapters on the subject, but I still cannot clearly hear the beats.

So as you can see, I'm mainly curious about learning to tune aurally. I don't want to become a rebuilder...I'll stick with tuning and minor repairs/restoration.

Piano Player
Piano Voicer In-Training
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Musicdude

The good thing was meeting a tuner who was willing to teach me how to tune aurally. Problem is, he is reluctant to teach anyone who is not at least an associate of the PTG, but he said he might make an exception for me.

Tell him you're delighted that he is making an exception for you, and are ready to start working with him! Have your checkbook in hand. His alleged reluctance will likely vanish.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I pretty much learned aural tuning by solitary practice. Once you are shown how to balance the beat rates of the interval tests, you must practice, practice, practice. And you don't need a skilled aural tuner to all ways be holding your hand while you do this.

It all starts with being able to tune unisons as pure as possible by setting tuning pin/strings rock solid stable.

Then you must master tempering all the intervals "equally" across the entire compass. The first interval you tune in a temperament contains the seeds of the entire stretch across the compass.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I too was shown the basics, then learned the rest by working on the process alone. 50 years later I'm still learning tricks and refinements.

I found that books with tables of numbers and formulas were discouraging and frustrating. I just went with what my ears were telling me, and incorporated a few improvements out of books that made a difference that I could hear.

The Guild's OK. I was a member for something like 45 years, but, for me, the bulk of learning aural tuning was not associated with the guild.

Last edited by David Jenson; 08/29/16 09:09 AM.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission