2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I agree. In the beginning, it is very important that the student be exposed to as much music as is reasonably possible. Sometimes it takes a while to "master" an idea, often circling back to it. Learning is not linear.

Yes.

However, this must also be balanced with making sure the student feels a sense of accomplishment/progress (if they are practicing), and that with certain pieces along the way - the ones they like the best - you do develop them to a level of mastery. But making every piece be completely perfect before moving on is a waste and a drag for everyone involved.

I agree, but I'm saying that you can be working on many different things at different levels of polish, and this keeps things moving.

Every student needs a few things that can be used for showing off.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.
The number one problem I have with students who come from other teachers is that they are forced to "over-study" pieces to the extent that they memorize and "master" a few things but can't read worth spit.

So, you'd agree that it is not necessary to polish everything in method book pieces before moving on, right?

I guess for the youngest beginners I do make them "over-study" the pieces, since their pieces are so short. Even the non-practicers will sound competent just by sight reading during lessons. I'm teaching this really bright boy who just started 1st grade, and even with ZERO practice at home he's making more progress than some of the other kids who claimed to have practiced.

So his 30-minute lesson consists of re-learning the 3 pieces assigned last week, and I make him call out letter names and read intervals and figure out the finger numbers and improvise on some notes, etc. etc. etc. And we still have time to go over his 3 new pieces in great detail. I'm not sure if this is what you call "over-study," but it sure feels like we've juiced every last milliliter of liquid out of every piece. And then some.

Or maybe this is one of those kids who could sprint, but since he doesn't practice, anyway, we'll just have these jam-packed lessons. It's mostly repetition, repetition, repetition, and then variations on those repetitions.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
First, you've all convinced me to make a quick pass through 2A. I'm still a little frustrated at the slow progression of method books, but ok.

Originally Posted by Nikolas
A few quick thoughts:

1. Mastery of 4 bars? With 3 notes? I'm not sure that there's anything worth mastering and I find that it's much better to give them some "meat and bones" to work on their posture, hand position, wrist position, fingering, etc... :-/

2. Can't the kids take in more than one subject/piece of information at a time?

As I said some very quick thoughts...

I find it's too difficult to work on technique as a part of their "meat and bones" pieces because they are focusing on notes and rhythms instead of the physical aspects. At least at the elementary levels.

I suppose every teacher finds their own balance of mastery/progression. For my own (elementary-level) students, their pieces are at a more polished level after the first week of practice than my transfer students. Their baseline work is at a higher level because I have focused more on mastery of each piece.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
The number one problem I have with students who come from other teachers is that they are forced to "over-study" pieces to the extent that they memorize and "master" a few things but can't read worth spit.

So, you'd agree that it is not necessary to polish everything in method book pieces before moving on, right?

I guess for the youngest beginners I do make them "over-study" the pieces, since their pieces are so short. Even the non-practicers will sound competent just by sight reading during lessons. I'm teaching this really bright boy who just started 1st grade, and even with ZERO practice at home he's making more progress than some of the other kids who claimed to have practiced.

So his 30-minute lesson consists of re-learning the 3 pieces assigned last week, and I make him call out letter names and read intervals and figure out the finger numbers and improvise on some notes, etc. etc. etc. And we still have time to go over his 3 new pieces in great detail. I'm not sure if this is what you call "over-study," but it sure feels like we've juiced every last milliliter of liquid out of every piece. And then some.

Or maybe this is one of those kids who could sprint, but since he doesn't practice, anyway, we'll just have these jam-packed lessons. It's mostly repetition, repetition, repetition, and then variations on those repetitions.

I have two goals that are above all others.

The first is to make sure that my students can read well.

The second is to make sure that they can play on a level that will allow them to play for their parents/family, for their friends, for a talent show. And to play in anything that gives them an opportunity to play.

I also believe that part of being a great reader is to understand chord structure and structure in general, so the ear part is also very important to me.

I don't care about memory. To me memorization and playing from memory is icing on the cake. It is impressive to non-musicians, but I am far more impressed with someone who plays very well with music than with someone who plays fully from memory but not as well...

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
FWIW- My son skipped Faber 2A in second grade and it's had no ill effect on him. He went from Bastien level 1 in 1st grade to Faber 2B. He completed Level 3 (Glover/Carr) last year.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 08/30/16 04:17 AM.

Yamaha G2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006
FWIW- My son skipped Faber 2A in second grade and it's had no ill effect on him. He went from Bastien level 1 in 1st grade to Faber 2B. He completed Level 3 (Glover/Carr) last year.

I don't understand why teachers switch method book series at every level. In the past, I have changed series, or added series, for students who are struggling and need more reinforcement. Some series move slower than the others, so if I switch a student to an easier series, he/she won't feel like being held back, when in fact that's exactly what's going on.

The key issue is that not all series are aligned in what they teach at each level. At best, there's an estimation of rough "equivalents" when you switch from one series to another.

School districts adopt new textbooks every couple of years. But changing the course of piano method book series is akin to changing textbooks every couple of months. There will be holes and gaps to be filled.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
AZN- I think the reason my son has switched so many times really has more to do with me. My son's first teacher had just purchased primer 3 before leaving. I think my son's current teacher saw he could move faster so instead of asking me to buy new books, she gave me a set of old level 1's she had. Then she moved him back to PA 2B after he finished. My husband then found a whole bunch of piano books second hand for almost nothing..so many different level 3's and she chose to use the Glover/Carr we had rather buying new. We told her either way was fine with us. Other ones we had were Hal Leonard, Bastein and JT. We have no books for this school year...so I'm excited to see what she picks out.

And even I can see that some of the methods move faster than others- it's been fine for us though either way. He plays more pieces each week when he's in what appears to be an easier series. I Glover 3 seemed A LOT harder than Faber 2B (at least it was for my son).

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 09/03/16 05:48 PM.

Yamaha G2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Teaching pentascales is a great way to teach transposing and major and minor chords. As for uh switching levels, some books start eighth notes and quarter rest very early, others dabble and drip.

I have even been known to tell some students, okay, the lesson they want you to learn this next page or two is blah blah. If you can demonstrate blah blah to me now, and come back next week and easily demonstrate blah blah, then I will check off your page and be done and move on.

Some pieces, I am picky on, and I even asked that the student write down a few facts about the composer. I want them to fall in love with the piece and create music, instead of just notes.

I would not skip a level, but I would try to go quickly through the easier parts. And easier simply depends on the students level of understanding. What one student finds easy, another student may struggle with. It is different for everyone.

Just like in a math class, or even a literature class, some parts may seem simple review and then something comes along that is new and glorious, and can be built on as time goes on. Glossing over something that you think the child understands, but not thoroughly checking a week or two later because you have pushed on, may come back in the future and cause a misunderstanding.

Most method books have a pretest and then a post test, and also a corresponding sight reading book. Use those to check progress.

It should be a fun team effort to progress as quickly as the child can do the work, and remember it and demonstrate it

Learning as I teach.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by missbelle
Most method books have a pretest and then a post test,

Which ones???

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I use Piano Adventures.

I will sometimes also do a placement in general test using Joy Morin's ColorInMyPiano.

Test A is naming finger numbers and keys, and each test progresses up to M and m scales, circle of 5ths, rhythms. Etc...

Pretty good look at what a student knows, without book hints.

With other methods, you can create an oral exam by asking,
"Tell me everything you can about this piece, before playing a single note."
Time and key Sig, vocab, articulation markings and definitions, form, etc...then ask follow up questions.

See how they "attack" a piece.

Some methods intro rests and eightth notes early on. So, check a couple of ways, because you might be surprised at what they do or do not know.

Assume nothing. 😉

Learning as I teach.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by Nikolas
A few quick thoughts:

1. Mastery of 4 bars? With 3 notes? I'm not sure that there's anything worth mastering and I find that it's much better to give them some "meat and bones" to work on their posture, hand position, wrist position, fingering, etc... :-/

2. Can't the kids take in more than one subject/piece of information at a time?

As I said some very quick thoughts...

Adding to your quick thoughts:

I'd far rather have a student playing a whole number of things NOW with "reasonable" mastery but learning quickly and easily and always moving on to new things.

I believe in reviewing and fully mastering things that are older and already in the hands LATER, which means working on different levels of "polishing" at the same time.

Too few future musicians are prepared to be quick learners and flexible enough to get work as players who can do just about everything, and only those players are likely to survive as professional musicians.

I agree. In the beginning, it is very important that the student be exposed to as much music as is reasonably possible. Sometimes it takes a while to "master" an idea, often circling back to it. Learning is not linear.

However, this must also be balanced with making sure the student feels a sense of accomplishment/progress (if they are practicing), and that with certain pieces along the way - the ones they like the best - you do develop them to a level of mastery. But making every piece be completely perfect before moving on is a waste and a drag for everyone involved.

This sounds very reasonable. But my question is, what does "reasonable mastery" look like? This seems very subjective. I am moving a kid through Alfred for Later Beginners Book 1 and having a hard time deciding whether or not a piece is mastered. It's true if we spend too long on it, I notice that he is simply using his good ear and not properly reading.

~piano teacher in training~
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hello my name is
This sounds very reasonable. But my question is, what does "reasonable mastery" look like? This seems very subjective. I am moving a kid through Alfred for Later Beginners Book 1 and having a hard time deciding whether or not a piece is mastered. It's true if we spend too long on it, I notice that he is simply using his good ear and not properly reading.

Lots of kids, usually the brighter ones, will end up memorizing short pieces without prompting. My strategy for these kids is to constantly change pieces. If their reading is weak, I supplement with 2 or 3 extra books in the same level.

Of course judging what is "reasonable mastery" is 100% subjective. You are the teacher! Make your best judgment call depending on the student's progress and history. I know a couple of my students need several weeks per piece in order to move on; they are the slower learners who never practice so we use lesson time as extra practice time.

And I have students who, after getting through to the end of a book, I would move them not to the next book in the sequence but to a different set of method books altogether. It is to give them the illusion of moving forward when in fact I'm putting them into a book that moves more slowly.

P
P
Every student learns at a different pace. Some pick up most concepts easily and I will go through several pages with them in one lesson. Others require a lot more review and plug along at page or two a week in the lesson book (I tend to use a lot more supplemental material with these kids to keep things interesting). To me the true test if they can come back and play it at their next lesson!

I do still go through the whole book to make sure that they have learned all the concepts. The music funding in our local school districts has taken quite a hit, so its hard to know anymore what concepts they've been introduced to at school and what they have not due to staffing changes!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Eating a little bit of humble pie today. My son's teacher moved him into Faber 3A today. He completed 2b in 2015. Sort of surprised because he earned extremely high scores in Guild...way above the cut off for superior plus in his Glover Carr Level 3 book. His motivation hasn't been very good recently...hopefully the repeat of the level (with a different book) will give him more confidence. The good thing is that he's only 9 years old.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 09/10/16 03:48 PM.

Yamaha G2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Don't worry mom. Remember, the real prize is to raise a kid who grows up to be a decent human being.

Learner
L
L
I think your son is at a point where some teachers would no longer use method books and perhaps, his teacher wants to make sure he has all the necessary skills to be successful.

If your son is getting restless with method books, I recommend letting him learn pieces from his favorite movies and other fun pieces he can play for his friends.

My little one recently went through a phase of low-motivation and noncompliance. I did not want her to learn piano on top of violin so I was secretly relieved that she appeared to have lost her interest but...after a few months of having the freedom to pick up her own pieces and not having to practice scales and etudes, she is back, more driven than ever and she seems to have made a big leap in her skills even if she didn't have structured lessons or practice during this period. I wonder if children sometimes need their own space to sort out their development.

Anyway, I think as long as your son continues to love learning, it would all come out okay at the end. smile

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thank you both for the kind words.

Little Blue Bird- My son's teacher knows that I'm hopeful that he'll be playing piano for a long time so I really do believe she is doing what is best for him so that he'll be able to continue rather than getting frustrated and quiting.

Yamaha G2
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission