2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Y
Y
Originally Posted by rohanj
Originally Posted by Doug M.

If the ES7 is anywhere near as good as the ES8, then there is no comparison: go with the ES7 me thinks. Also, I the ES7 action is better than the FP-30's, although I liked the PHAIV standard action for the price. You must decide which sound you like the best, and whether you want more functions/good sounds than just grand piano.

Doug,
I tried the ES7 again today at the showroom. Felt better this time than the last. ES100 was very light and hollow in comparison. They didn't have an ES8. But I did try the CN25 which has the same RH3 action as the ES8. IMO RH3 seemed much better and solid (better built) compared to RH2, and also a little heavier which I liked. I then played the CA17, It was their RM3II Wooden-Key action and I loved it. I knew this was the one. It costs more than I can afford at the store. ($2500) But I think I can wait and look for a used one. Else, I'll buy the new one come January.

Best Regards,
Rohan

Or you could consider Kawai VPC1 if you have fast enough computer (preferably quad-core CPU + 8GB or more RAM). A lot of people end up using digital pianos for controlling software pianos as they are superior in sound.

F
F
I'm not very knowledgeable on either instrument but I do know that used electronics can be a real crap shoot. You do not know how hard it was used or if anything "unfortunate" has happened to it. Unless you can check on it's condition personally I would give a resounding NO to the ES7.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I wonder if a console piano would give a fuller, better sound than either of the two mentioned here? Difficult to know till you get it home.. . Guess thats a spanner in the works, sorry!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Yohei

If the ES7 is anywhere near as good as the ES8, then there is no comparison: go with the ES7 me thinks. Also, I the ES7 action is better than the FP-30's, although I liked the PHAIV standard action for the price. You must decide which sound you like the best, and whether you want more functions/good sounds than just grand piano.

Doug,
I tried the ES7 again today at the showroom. Felt better this time than the last. ES100 was very light and hollow in comparison. They didn't have an ES8. But I did try the CN25 which has the same RH3 action as the ES8. IMO RH3 seemed much better and solid (better built) compared to RH2, and also a little heavier which I liked. I then played the CA17, It was their RM3II Wooden-Key action and I loved it. I knew this was the one. It costs more than I can afford at the store. ($2500) But I think I can wait and look for a used one. Else, I'll buy the new one come January.

Best Regards,
Rohan

Or you could consider Kawai VPC1 if you have fast enough computer (preferably quad-core CPU + 8GB or more RAM). A lot of people end up using digital pianos for controlling software pianos as they are superior in sound.

I know that previous reviews mention that the VPC1 action is fantastic, and only a little bit heavier action in the black keys than the GF action in the MP11. I considered getting the VPC1, (as a good one popped up second hand on Ebay for £650); however, I wanted something for stage and home use.

Rohan, seems to me that if you wanted only a high quality piano sound with great action that is somewhat portable, the VPC1 would be fitting and cheaper (but you'd need the monitors/cables). I've had a play on a variety of Kawai, Roland and Yamaha cabinet-style digitals recently, and found the quality of audio highly variable, with cheaper models sounding significantly worse than their top-range brothers (i.e., when the sample technology is identical, but the amplification is different).

The expensive one's tend to be good: the LX-17 was great, the LX-7 was not; the Kawai CS11 was better than the CA-97/67 etc. Generally IMO at lower price points, external monitors give a better sound than cabinet pianos. Countering that, the cabinet pianos look better, and you can always use the line-outs to boost the sound from the CA-17 right?

I agree that if you're not in a rush, waiting is often the better policy.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
R
rohanj Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Doug,

Best Regards,
Rohan

I know that previous reviews mention that the VPC1 action is fantastic, and only a little bit heavier action in the black keys than the GF action in the MP11. I considered getting the VPC1, (as a good one popped up second hand on Ebay for £650); however, I wanted something for stage and home use.

Rohan, seems to me that if you wanted only a high quality piano sound with great action that is somewhat portable, the VPC1 would be fitting and cheaper (but you'd need the monitors/cables). I've had a play on a variety of Kawai, Roland and Yamaha cabinet-style digitals recently, and found the quality of audio highly variable, with cheaper models sounding significantly worse than their top-range brothers (i.e., when the sample technology is identical, but the amplification is different).

The expensive one's tend to be good: the LX-17 was great, the LX-7 was not; the Kawai CS11 was better than the CA-97/67 etc. Generally IMO at lower price points, external monitors give a better sound than cabinet pianos. Countering that, the cabinet pianos look better, and you can always use the line-outs to boost the sound from the CA-17 right?

Doug,
The CA17 doesn't have a line-out(only midi-in/out). Actually I didn't even try the on-board Speakers. They had exams going on that day. But It sounded really good on the headphones. smile

And the portability is not a concern. I do travel a lot. But there is no way, I can lug a VPC1 around. I prefer the piano to have an organic feel to it. With the VPC1, computer and speakers - not so much.

-
Rohan

Last edited by rohanj; 08/19/16 03:01 PM.
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D

Doug,

Best Regards,
Rohan

Doug,
The CA17 doesn't have a line-out(only midi-in/out). Actually I didn't even try the on-board Speakers. They had exams going on that day. But It sounded really good on the headphones. smile

And the portability is not a concern. I do travel a lot. But there is no way, I can lug a VPC1 around. I prefer the piano to have an organic feel to it. With the VPC1, computer and speakers - not so much.

-
Rohan

They do sound good with headphones. I'm not going to buy speaker/amps till I can afford a good set. I'm quite happy practising with headphones. Still, my point is that cheaper cabinet pianos tend to be weak on sound amplification, so if you wish to enjoy playing aloud, that might be an issue.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
R
rohanj Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Update-
I flew down to Mumbai and tried the Es7 and bought it. I would have liked to try the roland fp30 or any pha4 for that matter. No music store in either of the cities carried roland. I hope Roland is listening. As far as the ES7, I'm very happy with its condition and the feel. Although the infamous g3# key makes the rattling noise. I can live with it. The DP itself is growing on me and I'm liking it more and more. Thank you guys for all the advice. I wouldn't have been able to decide without your help.

Warm regards,
Rohan

Last edited by rohanj; 08/30/16 02:17 PM.
Online Content
Congrats Rohan.

Just out of curiosity, did you fly back from Mumbai with your ES7?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
rohanj Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Congrats Rohan.

Just out of curiosity, did you fly back from Mumbai with your ES7?

Cheers,
James
x

Hi James,

Thank you and sorry for the delay in my response. Yes I flew back from Mumbai. The airport manager said he has to charge me extra for the piano, but since they are partial to musical instruments he would let me go free of charge. Isn't it great when that happens? I was grateful.

Regards,
Rohan

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Congrats! ES7 is a nice little gem. In fact this is the piano I've been enjoying most among those in my signature. I'd change it only for an AvantGrand or something smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission