2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2569112 09/06/16 03:28 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Would anyone know what Steinway and Sons would do to refurbish an A3 in the late 60's? Looks like the original board was refinished and at least key tops replaced. Given knowledge of Vertigris would they have replaced the entire action? Thanks for any info! I think it is from 1928.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
If they replaced the action in the '60's, it will be a Teflon action and verdigris is not a factor.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
If they replaced the action in the '60's, it will be a Teflon action and verdigris is not a factor.

But it's likely to have a bunch of other issues.............

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You should get someone to look at it and evaluate it. Anything else is speculation.

Semipro Tech
A
OP Offline
A
I realize that a visit from a RPT would answer all questions. I know that many of the very experienced including some who have responded to this very post answer lots of questions. Some of these questions (including some of mine) will expose ignorance and lack of knowledge. Those who are qualified must decide about sharing their knowledge and time. I know that I appreciate the generosity of those who know so much. I try to offer the same generosities to others when the roles are reversed.
I am considering having a Long A rebuilt from scratch including a new soundboard. This project will require project time and a lot of money. I know I would be starting fresh. I have total faith in the re builder and have even played another Long A that he re-built.
While in a holding pattern with details not yet worked out when I come upon this other piano. I am just trying to work out a few things before I decide to seriously look at this piano and pay someone to go over it.

Ed, thanks for your input. I've been reading your posts for sometime. Your answer flushes out my fear of having one of two big problems. I was told Steinway restored (actually not sure what they did) in 1968. I need to get number on next visit. Then I might to get a better idea of the big picture. My question was aimed at whether there was a standard procedure or if it was based on each individual instrument. Would they have put a new board in 40 year old piano?

BDB, unfortunately I must speculate in order to know when I should pay to not speculate. If I could afford I would have an RPT first look at any piano I might try so I wouldn't fall in love with a piece of [censored].

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If you do not have an emotional connection to your current piano, is it possible that you could purchase a finished "long A" which you like from this rebuilder and include the trade of your current A as part of the deal?

It eliminates the risk of not knowing how your rebuild will ultimately sound and play until it's completed...and not liking the result.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
Just get the piano tuned. If you cannot afford that, you cannot afford to keep any piano. The tuner would be able to evaluate what has been done to the piano from that. That is the best way to assess a piano, anyway.

Semipro Tech
A
OP Offline
A
I currently do not have an acoustic piano.

The piano is in a display setting. It is in tune. Hammers have no grooves. Newer bass strings. Sounds really good.

Was just trying to figure out as much as I can.

I think a piano with a tired board would still sound beautiful in tone. If it is the original board it would be a hundred years old.
The teflon action can be serviceable but one would want to know this I think, if possible.

I wasn't thinking of changing approach but after playing this piano it challenged me to think through the possibility.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission