2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
thanks I see now. I think I can end thread here because I am going to buy the es100 tommorow. But I am still deciding if I should get the stand too is it heavy?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Chances are you don't have a surface to place the piano that is the correct height, out a bench at the correct height, so it's a good idea to get a sturdy stand and a piano bench.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Having never played a Thomann/Medeli, I'm only guessing based on similar scenarios, but my guess is that when you actually go so far downmarket (<$400 new), you don't have a lot of serious piano players/students. Rather, your reviews are coming from people with zero experience at real pianos, unknowledgeable about what the world of digital pianos is like, or those looking for an upgrade to a consumer unweighted/semi-weighted synth.

It's typical christmas/birthday present territory, so mostly bought by people who are looking for the cheapest piano-like thing to gift to somebody. These things are not an upgrade to an unweighted consumer synths either. The contemporary €200 Casio/Yamaha keyboards (e. g. NP-12) sound and feel way better than those.

That's all conjecture, but I guess the point is that on this forum, we're getting advice from people who are very knowledgeable about and experienced with digital pianos, and the advice is pretty uniform with respect to the lower bound on price and recommended brands when looking for a budget piano that will serve well as a serious instrument.

Medeli boards are not just pretty bad, they are overpriced for what they are. There is no scenario where you could recommend them until their price goes down by at least 50 percent. At something like €150 a Medeli SP4000 (aka Thomann DP-26) would still not be very good, but adequately priced for a throwaway toy keyboard. But at 300+ - compared to a slightly more expensive Casio CDP or Yamaha 45 - it's just a waste of money.

Yamaha P-515
F
F
The ES-100 has a good rep. I hope it serves you well. I'll second Gombessa's suggestion. Make sure to get a stand to hold the Keyboard and an adjustable seat. For the ES100 a double X stand would be minimum. A good Z stand might be better. Wihin your budget you should probably steer clear of the furniture stands. They tend to be more expensive. Now find money for a teacher! Self learning is a difficult process! Good luck!

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Cutestpuppie
Nearest piano shop is like 1 hour away and I am sure there won't be the piano I am looking for I am 90% sure I'm going to get the kawaii es100 smile
If anything is better than the es100 pls feel free to list the piano also do you know any uk piano website that sell the es100?

I recently went through the process of actually testing digital portable pianos and stage pianos in that price bracket. I was not happy with the quality of that price bracket, and ended up getting a stonkingly good second hand Kawai MP7 (£750).

Tried all the below £600 stage/portable pianos. The FP-30 is the best of them, but I wanted more than just a great grand piano, and the FP-30 has that, but not much more. The other pianos were way below expectations.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
F
F
first sorry for my bad English, not an English speaking person.

I wont say that you guys is not right, but many of you talk about produce you never tried and repeat the same over and over. i wont say that Medeli is up to standard with Casio Korg Yamaha, i don't know never try them,
but the newest of there digital piano,do have 256 polyphonic, 3 sensor keys, and if you listen to some of the new demos, they don't sound bad.

i would like to try one, but nobody carry them in Denmark, and if some did, they never have the top models.
so i think what i am saying is, i don't have a problem that people don't like a product, but i find it annoying when people condemn a product they never try.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Cutestpuppie
Nearest piano shop is like 1 hour away and I am sure there won't be the piano I am looking for I am 90% sure I'm going to get the kawaii es100 smile
If anything is better than the es100 pls feel free to list the piano also do you know any uk piano website that sell the es100?

The ES100 is old tech. The newer most advanced model at that price point is the Roland FP-30. Having tested all three (the Yamaha P115, the Kawai ES100 and the FP-30) side-by-side, I can tell you that they are all of similar quality, but the FP-30 has the better action and piano sound for that price point.

Myself, I tried the ES8 and the ES7, liked the RMII and RMIII actions much better than the PHAIV standard action, and opted to pay more for a second hand MP7 with RMII action.

I can't complain with the results: compared to the MP7, the ES100 is a bit toy like. Anyway, the FP-30 is the way to go in your situation unless you're willing to up your spend to the £700--£800 range and buy second hand.

Giving you an idea (sound wise): here is a comparison video of the pianos in your budget.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Fede Pede
first sorry for my bad English, not an English speaking person.

I wont say that you guys is not right, but many of you talk about produce you never tried and repeat the same over and over. i wont say that Medeli is up to standard with Casio Korg Yamaha, i don't know never try them,
but the newest of there digital piano,do have 256 polyphonic, 3 sensor keys, and if you listen to some of the new demos, they don't sound bad.

i would like to try one, but nobody carry them in Denmark, and if some did, they never have the top models.
so i think what i am saying is, i don't have a problem that people don't like a product, but i find it annoying when people condemn a product they never try.

It is true that most of us here will not have tried Medeli products at all.

There are many cheaper versions of standard products around in the world thanks to cheap Chinese labour and thus computer chips etc. You might find something that works. It might even make an ok controller for a software piano such as Pianoteq or Ivory II.

Even if the Medeli product is great, you won't know till you have tried it. You wouldn't buy trousers without knowing their size, colour, and actually trying them on to make sure they fit i.e., if you had to pay loads to send the trousers back.

Up to you what you buy, but I have nothing to say about Medeli pianos, and can only read what is on their website.

F
F
Hi Doug.
i am not saying that it is not the truth what people about Medeli,
i just tired that people talking bad of products the never tried.
it is not only Medeli, many are doing the same with Casio as soon somebody mentions casio.
there will be one saying you should buy Yamaha, Casio is crap, and the last Casio they try was maybe 20 years ago. or just repeating what other is saying.

by the way, i am not in the market for a new Digital Piano i have a Kawai Ca-63, i just like to see what on the market.

Last edited by Fede Pede; 01/04/17 09:18 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission