2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I look to be inheriting a Kawai NS-15, a 1986 from my mother in law. It is not the ebony finish but a brown color. It seems in excellent shape. I have tried to look up some information on these, and I cannot seem to find too much. Can anyone tell me about them?

I also posted a little info and intro here: My intro and new piano post. https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2571320/New_(to_me)_Kawai_NS-15_(info_.html#Post2571320

Here are couple links to some pics. I cannot yet figure out how to include pics in a post.

NS-15 Pic 1

NS-15 Pic 2

NS-15 Pic 3

NS-14 Pic 4

Thanks for any insights you can provide! It seems like a really nice piano and I would love to know a little about it. smile

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 09/15/16 09:49 AM.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
your best source would probably be, talk to a kawai dealer who was active in that time period. it appears to have been very popular and successful in its day, and not a budget instrument. it's probably much nicer than the average piano student's 'bang around upright'. ebony was by far the most common finish in those pianos, and usually the same piano in walnut, mahogany, or rosewood went for higher prices relative to ebony as new instruments. generally, verticals 48 in. and higher are intended for fairly serious students or professionals who don't have the budget or space for a small grand. with smaller living spaces, tall uprights are usually more popular in Japan or Europe than in the u.s., and some european makers take their vertical pianos very seriously. from accessible info, it was probably built in Japan rather than elsewhere in Asia. in the past, kawai was shadowing yamaha to a degree, offering similar pianos they'd market as better values for the money. that model was a 'shadow' of a very successful tall yamaha upright (of which there are quite a few still around, not unlike the ns-15).

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
your best source would probably be, talk to a kawai dealer who was active in that time period. it appears to have been very popular and successful in its day, and not a budget instrument. it's probably much nicer than the average piano student's 'bang around upright'. ebony was by far the most common finish in those pianos, and usually the same piano in walnut, mahogany, or rosewood went for higher prices relative to ebony as new instruments. generally, verticals 48 in. and higher are intended for fairly serious students or professionals who don't have the budget or space for a small grand. with smaller living spaces, tall uprights are usually more popular in Japan or Europe than in the u.s., and some european makers take their vertical pianos very seriously. from accessible info, it was probably built in Japan rather than elsewhere in Asia. in the past, kawai was shadowing yamaha to a degree, offering similar pianos they'd market as better values for the money. that model was a 'shadow' of a very successful tall yamaha upright (of which there are quite a few still around, not unlike the ns-15).

Thank you. That makes sense about the taller uprights and Europeans. And it does appear to be a 49" model (and predecessor to the NS-20? I seem to find more info on the NS-20). My mother in law was a Dutch psychiatrist, and purchased this piano to pursue her classical piano studies after achieving a certain level of success in her private practice, and after her kids had left the house. So makes sense she purchased something pretty nice. It certainly sounds and feels a lot better than the old Acrosonic spinet I was raised on. I hope to return to my childhood through young adulthood piano studies before shifting primarily to guitar and hope to do it some justice.

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 09/15/16 09:55 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That's a pretty good model from Kawai. The 49" and taller Kawai were always spec'd for institutional use with better construction and materials than in the shorter models. There is a long lineage of the 49" models under different model names. Only recently was this format changed with Kawai's current lineup. The most recent in the line of 49" models of similar design was the K-5.

I'm sure it's already much better than your spinet, but consider investing a little in fresh regulation and voicing to make it fresh and even in touch and tone.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
That's a pretty good model from Kawai. The 49" and taller Kawai were always spec'd for institutional use with better construction and materials than in the shorter models. There is a long lineage of the 49" models under different model names. Only recently was this format changed with Kawai's current lineup. The most recent in the line of 49" models of similar design was the K-5.

I'm sure it's already much better than your spinet, but consider investing a little in fresh regulation and voicing to make it fresh and even in touch and tone.

Thanks, I will take that advice. I am having my former guitar instructor who is also a piano mover and tuner/tech help me move it and I will ask him to check regulation, voicing, etc. as well. As you say, its voice is already much better than our old acrosonic.

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 09/15/16 03:28 PM.
Did the spell checker mess you up? It is 'regulation', not 'registration'.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Tuneless
Did the spell checker mess you up? It is 'regulation', not 'registration'.

Uh, yeah. Dang that Siri!! wink That was what I meant. Though I do admit that it was a new term and concept to me. I never thought about that when I was a piano student low these many years ago. And even if I had, such a concept was never applied to our old Acrosonic. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wow, this looks EXACTLY like my old Yamaha U1 from 1985. The only difference is the name!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Wow, this looks EXACTLY like my old Yamaha U1 from 1985. The only difference is the name!

Interesting!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission