2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2562503 08/11/16 06:53 PM
OP Offline
I grew up in Brazil and the pianos made there are more in line with the sound of European pianos - particularly German ones. As such, they tend to have a softer, warmer sound when compared to American pianos, which to my taste are often too bright, to the point of being annoying.

In the US my wife and I had a Kohler and Campbell (made in the early 70s) that used to drive me nuts with its brightness. We sold it when we moved to Alaska. When we returned to Pennsylvania I started looking for a new piano but the task at hand seemed daunting. There are so many brand names and models out there; we never really know if they are made in Asia or fully made or just assembled in the US or where parts come from. I visited a few piano shops around and had the opportunity to visit Cunningham Piano Co. in Philadelphia. Tim Oliver made my experience truly pleasant and educational as I knew nothing about buying a new piano. He was great at explaining key technical differences among a variety of models and brand names, such as quality, sound, manufacturing process, costs, etc. As I tried different pianos, the sound of a Cunningham upright (50”) really impressed me. For an upright, it delivered the sound of grand baby and its volume and warmth really stood out. Initially, I was a bit skeptical about buying a piano from a company that ceased its manufacturing process more than 50 years ago. But then, their expertise working with and restoring high quality pianos balanced the equation. I reasoned that if they can restore famous brand names they must be capable of building good quality pianos as well. In the end, Tim offered me a good “birthday gift” deal too, which I could not resist.

It’s been very hot and muggy in Pennsylvania and my daughter and I have been playing the piano a lot. So yesterday I had the piano tuned a second time since it was purchased a few months ago. The piano tuner did a superb job tuning it! This Cunningham sounds full/powerful, yet warm, round and pleasant. I can only imagine that as the wood & strings settle down, the sound will continue to improve. I am happy with it, and I only hope that Tim Oliver and Rich Galassini will continue the process of building better and better pianos at a reasonable price. So, if you are in the East Coast, don’t forget to pay a visit to Cunningham Piano Co. It may be worthwhile.

For those interested - here is a link to a picture:
http://thepawssionatevet.blogspot.com/

Last edited by claudiovet; 08/11/16 06:59 PM.

"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art" [Frédéric Chopin]
F
F
looks great, and I think you got a good one for sure!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission