2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all- I'm tossing around the idea of performing Kinderszenen (Scenes from Childhood)at my next home "recital" for friends. I've had mixed feelings about this work, but as I work on it (with two more "scenes" to go), it is growing on me. What are your thoughts on Op. 15- is this something you think an audience might enjoy? Do you enjoy playing it or hearing it? Is there any wisdom you'd like to impart when it comes to understanding and internalizing this music in general? Just curious as to how people feel about this work... Thanks!

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm about to start working on this set myself.

Is this something you think an audience might enjoy?

Depends on your audience I guess. Classical music lovers would certainly enjoy but less informed people expecting virtuosic display may be disappointed. There is a lot of contrast and variety in the whole set so maybe something in there for everyone to enjoy.

Do you enjoy playing it or hearing it?

Yes, although I haven't started working on it yet. I know I'm going to enjoy playing them.

Is there any wisdom you'd like to impart when it comes to understanding and internalizing this music in general?

In some ways this music isn't very difficult technically but artistically Schumann gives you a lot to chew on emotionally and philosophically. The titles are Schumann's so they do suggest a "program" to a certain extent. Of course most of it is not literal but instead evoke certain moods, and nostalgia from childhood experiences. I think these pieces are something you can come back to time and again and discover something new and significant each time.

Good luck!

Last edited by Vid; 09/21/16 05:43 PM. Reason: what's with the youtube markup?

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
These delightful pieces, played as a set, should please almost any audience. One of my friends played the set in a series of joint recitals in which we collaborate. Our audience is a mix of experienced recital-goers and first-time attendees at a classical recital. They all enjoyed the listening experience. For our audience, I believe that it helped that we had the individual titles of each piece printed in the program.

Don't dismiss them (I'm quite sure that you are not likely to do so) as pieces for children. If your audience is gently reminded that these are pieces that evoke childhood memories as seen from adulthood, that may even enhance their enjoyment of the works.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
O
O
I've been working on them as well. I love the first piece. My wife loaded "Goodnight Moon" a read aloud version of the story into her Ipad for our grandchildren, and playing in the background of the story is the first piece. That's when I decided to get the music and learn them. Several of them are tricky and to some extent, they all take practice, but they're both fun to play and listen to.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
What are your thoughts on Op. 15-

Schumann says "Leichte Stücke". "Leicht" must be for the listeners. For the player, these pieces are hard. Getting the melody out while you're contorting your fingers to reach accompaniment chords.

is this something you think an audience might enjoy?

Yes I think Schumann was right about "Leichte Stücke" in this respect.

Do you enjoy playing it or hearing it?

Yes it's very nice to play.

Is there any wisdom you'd like to impart when it comes to understanding and internalizing this music in general?

No, I think this is not tne usual Schumann that we get here. But I did not play all scenes.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, SwB! I've presented this work myself, many years back. Since you're conducting a "home" recital, I'd take advantage of that to walk the listeners through the set before presenting it, and perhaps also provide a "cheat sheet" of the individual pieces, so that the audience can follow along. As others have indicated, this is a set of pieces ABOUT children, not FOR children -- the technical difficulties are not to be underestimated. Personally, I find it most satisfying by far to present this work as a complete set, and I'm pretty sure most listeners will react very positively to the entire set. Since Schumann gives you very clear directives about the character and emotional content of each miniature, I would make every attempt to individualize each piece as much as possible. For me, the cumulative effect of the entire set is magical -- certainly one of Schumann's best efforts.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! Tim, I agree that walking people through each piece is a good idea and will make it more interesting. Everyone's feedback here has encouraged me to go forward with including this set on my list. Thanks!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
They're so great. (I've performed them.) The last five are the best imho. As with any set of short pieces you do really have to have in mind the quality of each piece that you'd most like to bring across -- individualize them, as Tim says -- and how each relates to the preceding and following pieces.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I really like this set. I was deciding for quite a long time between this set and Tchaikovsky's Seasons on which one I would like to learn in full in the next year or so. In the end I picked tchaikovsky just because there's one for each month which is right on target with my one year goal.

When I finish Seasons I will probably do the Schumann, Traumerei is one of my favourite simple pieces, and most people know it so it's a huge crowd pleaser.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Really nice article talking about this piece.

http://www.interlude.hk/front/childrens-tales-scenes-childhood/

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F

Last edited by Forrest Halford; 09/23/16 11:12 PM. Reason: added link for part 3

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
That's a very good discussion of this suite. I found myself agreeing with many of Perahia's thoughts, especially regarding the opening piece.

J
J
Kinderszenen is nice but also look at Papillons

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I found Perahia's advice helpful in regard to tempo when I was learning these. There is a tradition of performing them much slower than the metronome markings and so one has to make a decision how close to be to the MMs vs. how close to the performing tradition.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
clearly, many of the great pianists have been inspired to play and record these works. perhaps they aren't quite as virtuosic as many of schumann's compositions, but there are plenty of technically challenging sections. to a degree, audiences have been jaded/spoilt by two distortions -- mistaken that they are children's pieces, because they can appeal to all ages, but clearly they're for adults reflecting on childhood, and the second, over-saturation with excessively maudlin versions of 'traeumerei' (horowitz one of the principal perpetrators). you're fortunate to have the inspiration for the project and the ability to carry it through. have fun.

Unless Schumann himself coined the phrase "About children, but not for children", I don't really agree with that idea. I think many of these pieces would appeal to children, and I think they are often studied individually young pianists. Because of their great beauty and subtlety they can also be performed by adults and professionals.

Anyone know who first coined the phrase "About children, but not for children."

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
He wrote them for Clara when she was, I think, 19. To me that indicates looking back on childhood, but not for a child, and also not looking back from such a distance that one is maudlin about it.

Last edited by hreichgott; 09/25/16 09:24 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Originally Posted by hreichgott
He wrote them for Clara when she was, I think, 19. To me that indicates looking back on childhood, but not for a child, and also not looking back from such a distance that one is maudlin about it.
Just because he wrote them for Clara, I don't think this means they aren't also appropriate for someone younger than she was at the time. Similarly, just because Schumann was looking back on childhood(this seems automatic for an adult writing pieces about childhood), I don't see why that makes then not for children.

I see Kinderszenen as not that different from Schumann's Album for the Young except the Album pieces are so short, so limited in keyboard compass, and on such a simple technical level that the are almost forced to be far less beautiful and subtle than those in Kinderscenen.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/25/16 10:03 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, of course we can take a piece beyond its original dedicatee and intent, but if you are asking who the composer wrote the piece for, that is the answer.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
B
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I see Kinderszenen as not that different from Schumann's Album for the Young except the Album pieces are so short, so limited in keyboard compass, and on such a simple technical level that the are almost forced to be far less beautiful and subtle than those in Kinderscenen.

Kinderszenen is in the same category as Children's Corner, not Album for the Young or similar educational pieces for children by Tchaikovsky etc.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission