2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Dumb question does it have a battery like lithon ion inside the piano? If not what kind of battery is it exactly? I really appreciate the help thanks smile

F
F
I don't think so. AT least I saw no reference to such a thing here: http://www.kawaius.com/digital/Portable/OM/ES100_EN_R100.pdf

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Batteries used to be included in electronics to let them "remember" their settings. And when the batteries failed (as they will, given enough time), those "remembered" settings would disappear.

"Flash memory" and "non-volatile RAM" have become cheap, and doesn't require any battery power to save its state. Most equipment uses it, and doesn't need batteries any longer.

The other use for an internal battery is to run a clock. If the ES100 timestamps its recordings (for example), a battery might be needed to keep that internal clock running.

As a new design, I would _guess_ that the ES100 doesn't have any batteries inside. The only _reliable_ answer is from the ES100 service manual, or Kawai's service department.

A question:

. . . Why do you want to know?

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
OP Offline
C
If it doesn't have a battery then what is the main power source? how does it run I mean I need to plug the kawai es100 in a wall socket so there must be a battery or some sort right? Nothing particular I just want to know it's bugging me lol. Do you know by any chance? smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cutestpuppie
If it doesn't have a battery then what is the main power source? how does it run I mean I need to plug the kawai es100 in a wall socket so there must be a battery or some sort right? Nothing particular I just want to know it's bugging me lol. Do you know by any chance? smile
That's a strange question. You say yourself that you need to plug it into a wall socket. That wall socket delivers electricity (not piano fairies!) and that's the electricity the piano runs on. Do you think that all of your home appliances that are plugged into a socket (vacuum cleaner, toaster, fridge, etc...) contain a battery? Of course they don't, otherwise they would be able to run even if not plugged in!

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Cutestpuppie
how does it run I mean I need to plug the kawai es100 in a wall socket so there must be a battery or some sort right?

No there need not be a battery. Electronic equipment such as TV's, computers, and digital pianos when plugged into a mains source have a transformer to reduce the mains voltage to a lesser voltage suitable for the electronics. Sometimes this transformer might even be as an "external pack" which is common for laptops.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
OP Offline
C
Ok np then what's inside the es100? Is there a manual where I can see all the parts etc?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
CR2032s (they look like a little disk) are ubiquitous in desktops and laptops to hold the BIOS settings when the power supply isn't on. Whether or not digital pianos use them to keep settings alive I do not know, but I bet if there's a battery in there somewhere it's probably that one.

A lifetime supply will not cost you much:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AT21R2/

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Most of the time now electronics never completely shutdown. There is a small amount of power used, for example, to allow a remote control to turn a device on. Only by unplugging the device could you depower it.

Batteries are not necessary to maintain time clocks on computers or alarm clocks anymore. The motherboards replaced batteries with a super-capacitor that can power a clock for hundreds or thousands of hours between charges.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by prout
Most of the time now electronics never completely shutdown. There is a small amount of power used, for example, to allow a remote control to turn a device on. Only by unplugging the device could you depower it.

Batteries are not necessary to maintain time clocks on computers or alarm clocks anymore. The motherboards replaced batteries with a super-capacitor that can power a clock for hundreds or thousands of hours between charges.

It depends. The very latest Dell Optiplex 7040s we buy at work still have a CMOS battery inside. It's true the motherboard and power supply supply have a soft switch which means the computer is effectively always on when it's plugged in, but that's mostly to enable wake-on-LAN. I have no idea how any of this relates to digital pianos. I know my CP4 has some settings that can only be restored with a factory reset, which kind of makes me think something's being kept alive in there like a computer BIOS.

Edit: to answer my own question, I checked; the Yamaha CP4 also has a battery.

Last edited by David Farley; 09/25/16 04:04 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's a Youtube video of somebody replacing a coin battery on a different Kawai. Looks like the ever-popular CR2032.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Farley
Here's a Youtube video of somebody replacing a coin battery on a different Kawai.

The title is pretty much spot on. Sitting on a carpet, no ESD precautions, no proper tools.

But soldering down the battery? Really Kawai? That's what cheap Chinese toy keyboards do.

These 150 mAh cells have a designated life of 10 years but can be drained empty within 3-5 years in some cases. Battery replacement needs to be designed in or the product is a case of DoA.

Yamaha P-515
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by David Farley
Originally Posted by prout

It depends. The very latest Dell Optiplex 7040s we buy at work still have a CMOS battery inside. It's true the motherboard and power supply supply have a soft switch which means the computer is effectively always on when it's plugged in, but that's mostly to enable wake-on-LAN. I have no idea how any of this relates to digital pianos. I know my CP4 has some settings that can only be restored with a factory reset, which kind of makes me think something's being kept alive in there like a computer BIOS.

Edit: to answer my own question, I checked; the Yamaha CP4 also has a battery.

Interesting. I guess not all the brands move in the same direction. Thanks.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JoeT
. . .
But soldering down the battery? Really Kawai? That's what cheap Chinese toy keyboards do.
. . .

No problems with corrosion of battery-holder contacts , with soldered joints.

It's a trade-off. Whether it's a good one, depends on how long the battery is expected to last, compared with the life of the keyboard.

Ham-radio gear occasionally uses soldered batteries, I think.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Posted on the digital piano forum:

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Cutestpuppie, there is no battery inside the ES100, nor any other Kawai digital piano currently in production.

The instrument is powered by an AC adaptor which connects to a wall socket.
User adjusted settings and songs are stored to non-volatile memory, allowing the instrument to be disconnected from all power, yet still retain this information.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission