2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
G
The cheapish headphones I normally use for practice ($20 Sennheiser HD 201) with my Yahama CP50 have a very low volume when plugged into the DP--I normally have to turn the master volume up past 3/4 to get them to an acceptable range (and my ears are fine and I never listen to any music or anything loudly, I'm more of a mellow guy). At this volume, if I play f/ff in the mid-high notes, I can hear distortion/crackling on the attack.

This seems a bit odd to me, since I would expect a stage piano to be subject to to loud environments and drive a headphone jack rather loudly, and also those phones are listed on the website at a relatively low 24ohm impedance. Before I spend $$ on better cans or hunt down another pair to test, I was hoping for a gut check here--either from someone who has the piano or knows from experience--is the low volume and crackling likely due to the cheap phones, or possibly something going on with the instrument?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
It's impossible to guess at the reason for the problem -- need more data.

Borrow (or buy with option to return) another pair of headphones (I'd bet on Senn HD280 or Sony MDR7506, or AKG K240 (all old, proven designs) if you can find them), and see if the problem persists.

Also, try some "contact cleaner" on the phone jack, and phone plug. Dirt can do nasty things.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
G
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks, Charles, I did exactly that. Borrowed an HD 280 Pro from work, and even with its higher 65ohm impedance, it's louder at 50% volume than my HD 201s are at 80%. And no distortion at all. Looks like it's time for me to get some new headphones smirk

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Good !

Not so good that you need new headphones, but much better than trying to debug the DP's circuitry!

Have fun -- now you can start reading the "Which headphone should I get?" threads.<g>

PS -- I just got a new pair of AKG K240's. I haven't used them enough to have a real opinion. My Senn HD280's have lots of hours on them, and if you want closed-back headphones, they are a decent choice.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
M
M
I recommend you to check this post, I had exactly the same issue with Roland. Finally found a great headphones without any distortion and decent volume levels.... Now I have to sell my BD DT990Pro because smile

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2577786/1.html

Last edited by Misiak; 10/11/16 09:22 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by Gombessa
The cheapish headphones I normally use for practice ($20 Sennheiser HD 201) with my Yahama CP50 have a very low volume when plugged into the DP--I normally have to turn the master volume up past 3/4 to get them to an acceptable range (and my ears are fine and I never listen to any music or anything loudly, I'm more of a mellow guy). At this volume, if I play f/ff in the mid-high notes, I can hear distortion/crackling on the attack.

This seems a bit odd to me, since I would expect a stage piano to be subject to to loud environments and drive a headphone jack rather loudly, and also those phones are listed on the website at a relatively low 24ohm impedance. Before I spend $$ on better cans or hunt down another pair to test, I was hoping for a gut check here--either from someone who has the piano or knows from experience--is the low volume and crackling likely due to the cheap phones, or possibly something going on with the instrument?

Seems like the impedance of your headphones are too little for the DP? but i dont really see situations like these...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission